PDA

View Full Version : 2 cars 2 brake problems. camaro 2 hard 55 to soft

chevnut55
09-13-2012, 09:01 AM
I am looking for advice on what to do next on my cars brake problems.
I will start with my 69 camaro. I installed a stock upgraded style 4 wheel disc brake kit,installed a good working booster/master I removed from my 72 camaro. the pedal is hard and doesnt seem to be making enough line pressure. the vacc is good , I thought it was the cheap braided brake hose from summitt but I changed back to stock with little change.The brakes all work but the pedal is hard not running and only slightly better when running/holding a rpm.not much pedal travel maby 1/2" tops ... any ideas?

next my 55 chevy,
The ongoing problem I have been tring to solve for 6 months!
it had a front stock chevelle style disc swap in front but never stoped well..and it has 800+ hp!!! so I put a monte carlo dic in the rear ,installed all braided hoses,and a wilwood 1" master. it is mounted under the floor and has a duel diafram booster with good vacc, wilwood residue valves,and a adjustabe prop valve,it also has a linelock that went bad so its unhooked .
the problem is it still has a soft pedal until I pump the brake..almost to the floor. I blead it 1000 times , drove it to get the fluid hot and blead it, bought a pressure bleader and even let it gravity bleead, the master was bench blead 5 times and all the connections tightened and checked many many times. but still when the pedal feels good walk away and its back to the floor when I come back.

so brake guys....any ideas to keep me out of the nut house?

MuscleRodz
09-13-2012, 09:23 AM
camaro sounds like booster went bad. Seen it happen before, not uncommon.

the 55 still has trapped air. Any high spot int he line will create an air pocket. its either that or you have a faulty master

dontlifttoshift
09-13-2012, 10:00 AM
55- are the calipers higher than the master cylinder? 2 pound residual valves front and rear should cure your problem if that is the case.

Apogee
09-13-2012, 02:48 PM
55- are the calipers higher than the master cylinder? 2 pound residual valves front and rear should cure your problem if that is the case.

I would suggest 2 psi residual pressure valves regardless in an under-floor MC situation, just because even if the calipers are not above the MC sitting flat, you can guess what happens if/when you park the car on a hill or at an angle.

Tobin
KORE3

dontlifttoshift
09-13-2012, 02:56 PM
Tobin, yes. Whenever the master is under the floor I use 2 pound residual. I don't articulate very well.

MuscleRodz
09-13-2012, 06:41 PM
He mentions residual valves in his post, so I assume that is not the problem.

chevnut55
09-17-2012, 04:08 AM
Yes, I have the residue valves in the 55. I just tryed bleading and reverse bleading with no luck, I wil try to elimanate the cheapie line lock next..its the only thing left I have not done.
On the camaro ,I see how it can be the booster but its still like new and was working fine on my 72 a few months ago.there are no vacc noises .I do feel it working when I keep my foot on the pedal and start it , but not as much as it should move. I squrted some lube into it to see if it starts to work better before I buy another
. thanks for the advise guys.