PDA

View Full Version : House of kolor ko-seal

Ls1velle
09-11-2012, 05:17 PM
I'm about a week or so away from paint on my 66 mustang. I've got all my paint ready to go. The car will be two tone pink on top purple on the bottom with a green pinstripe. I've got a question on the sealer. The tech sheet says to top coat the sealer within 2 hours or scuff with scotchbrite. How accurate are these times and what will happen if not followed. I'm planning on doing the engine bay door jams etc one day then the body of the car a week later. I will only seal what I'm doing that day and try to be within the times stated.

bhcustomdesigns
09-11-2012, 07:14 PM
They give you these time windows on paint so you will have good adhesion between your basecoat and your topcoat if you go past that time window you will need to scuff it down because if you dont there is a good chance your paint will peel .

MuscleRodz
09-12-2012, 11:25 AM
On HOK follow the directions to a tee. You will have a few variables like temp humidity, etc, that will adjust the times a little. I do not consider HOK a beginners paint line that is forgiving.

chevelletiger
09-19-2012, 10:11 PM
.I do not consider HOK a beginners paint line that is forgiving.

Really? My first paint job was hok orion silver.its not any different then any other bc/cc line,its the candys that are harder to spray.to the op, spray the ko seal(2 coats should give good coverage)then spray your base within a 30 min to 1hr window or your base will lift! I took two hok clinics with jon kozmoski at coast air brush,the man is a master of the spray gun.

chevelletiger
09-19-2012, 10:22 PM
What yr tech sheet do you have? Talk to scott from valspar or go to kustom kulture lounge.com and hit up username redbaron (steve baran) hes my friend he worked for house of kolor and has alot of experience with paint tech tell him phil ortega sent you to him.he got me waterborne cert. Thru akzonobel

Ron.in.SoCal
09-20-2012, 09:03 PM
I'm about a week or so away from paint on my 66 mustang. I've got all my paint ready to go. The car will be two tone pink on top purple on the bottom with a green pinstripe. I've got a question on the sealer....

Nobody? :) :cheers:

MuscleRodz
09-20-2012, 09:17 PM
Really? My first paint job was hok orion silver.its not any different then any other bc/cc line,its the candys that are harder to spray.to the op, spray the ko seal(2 coats should give good coverage)then spray your base within a 30 min to 1hr window or your base will lift! I took two hok clinics with jon kozmoski at coast air brush,the man is a master of the spray gun.

it is not harder to spray, just have to pay more attention to it. Wait till you have to blend a repair or mulriple colors, or miss your window between clear coats. HOK does not play nice. I have shot plenty of it to know.

chevelletiger
09-20-2012, 09:36 PM
it is not harder to spray, just have to pay more attention to it. Wait till you have to blend a repair or mulriple colors, or miss your window between clear coats. HOK does not play nice. I have shot plenty of it to know.

Done the blends,sg100 1:1 with base is my best friend,and always have a timer in the booth to NOT miss my window.ya ive gone to there training center so blends are no problem for me;-)