PDA

View Full Version : Shut off timer or fader for LED's......

Jagarang
07-28-2005, 06:06 PM
Anybody know of a way that I could install a "timer", dimmer, or a fade out circuit into say an LED array?

For instance....

The type of array I referring to is like the turn signals in Ford truck side view mirrors that have the hidden LED "arrow" trurn indicators in them.

I'd like to have a similar setup for placing "PRNDL" in my rearview, but don't want the "D" staring me in the face the whole time, especially at night. I've got the "PRNDL" already and just need to figure out the best way to go about this idea.

I'd like the wire in a timer/fader that would shut the LED off after say 30-45 seconds after a gear selection. Perhaps the "R" should not have this function just so one doesn't forget that he's in reverse.

Anyway, I don't know where to find such "timers" or how to wire them into a particular circuit.

A timer that had a rheostat to ramp down the LED, so it fades out gradually, would be a nice touch if possible.

You guys have any thoughts or ideas??

Jagarang
07-29-2005, 10:18 AM
How about any ideas for electrical specific forums for this sort of thing?

myclone
07-29-2005, 11:22 AM
While your idea seems simple at first glance its actually going to be kind of complicated to do in reality with analog electronics. Do do what you want and have it turn out decent is going to either take some programming and a PIC or a big clunky circuit board with 555 timers (or similar), gates, etc.

To fade an LED array slowly is the simple part but then you have to take into account the quick movement of the shifter from P to D or any other selection which could be faster than the display would dim the last selection then light the next. For the analog system to work youd need multiple inputs and circuitry to, for example, "immediately restart newly selected gear indicator fade with any gear selector movement and cancel previous indicator selection/fade". It could be done but yeeesh it would be a nightmare in analog.

My suggestion would be to seek out some "tinkerer" type electronics engineers (maybe we have some on this forum?) who would find it interesting/fun to do some simple coding to be able to use a microcontroller like a PIC to do what you want and using such a device would simplify things greatly.

There are sites with DIY electronic circuits/ideas out there that may help you but be prepared to apply some basic electronic theory and knowledge to use them. Simply put if you dont know what the resistor color code is or ohms law then you may quickly become frustrated and abandon the project. Bowdens hobby circuits is one such place and there are several other electronic sites linked from it with even more ideas should you have the time/desire to slog through all of them.

Probably not what you wanted to hear but if you decide to check out the bowden site you may at least get a few ideas or what have you.

Fuelie Fan
08-02-2005, 07:02 AM
is there a way to link a specific thread? I'd like to send this to a co-worker of mine

Jagarang
08-02-2005, 09:45 AM
Fuelie...

The menu bar across the top of the thread has a selection for
"Thread Tools"...which has an Email this thread option.

myclone....

Thanks for the excellent reply. Very helpfull. I didn't think this would be so tough. I'm still interested in doing it though.

Keep the ideas and help coming.

derekf
08-02-2005, 10:03 AM
You can right-click the thread title in the forum view and choose "Copy Shortcut". That'll get you the URL of the link. In this thread's case, the link is https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9261

Fuelie Fan
08-05-2005, 07:07 AM
I sent it, awaiting his reply...

Jagarang
08-05-2005, 07:12 AM
Cool...Thanks Fuelie