PDA

View Full Version : LS Power Steering to 3rd gen box?

Vicinity
09-11-2012, 11:23 AM
Ok, my LS1 came with the stock power steering pump and I'm trying to figure out the best way to mate it to my 3rd gen box. It has the Lee inserts so the box would work with an inverted flare. Per David Pozzi's recommendations, I used the 74 Nova lines to connect the box with inserts to a 70's style power steering pump which used an inverted flare.

The LS1 uses a very strange type of flare I've never seen before. Anyone know of a simple way to connect these two up?

GeoffP
09-11-2012, 12:30 PM
I used AN fitting adapters to hook my IROC box up to my LS1 power steering pump. I know that's not much help but it is an option in case you can't figure something out.

Vicinity
09-12-2012, 10:10 AM
I used AN fitting adapters to hook my IROC box up to my LS1 power steering pump. I know that's not much help but it is an option in case you can't figure something out.

Like an AN to NPT adapter? I didn't think that would seal well enough.

Marcus SC&C
09-12-2012, 11:44 AM
Call Tom at Lee Manufacturing 818-768-0371. They`ve got the fittings you need. They can also provide a flow control valve (like $15) to adjust the output pressure of the LS1 R&P pump which is too low to work correctly on an IROC 800 box. It`ll work without it but the steering feel on center will be vague and it won`t have the feedback you want from a good steering gear. Mark SC&C

Smoker03
09-12-2012, 11:45 AM
It should probably be a metric flare to AN fitting. Then just build some braided ptfe lines and you will be good to go.

Vicinity
09-12-2012, 12:08 PM
Call Tom at Lee Manufacturing 818-768-0371. They`ve got the fittings you need. They can also provide a flow control valve (like $15) to adjust the output pressure of the LS1 R&P pump which is too low to work correctly on an IROC 800 box. It`ll work without it but the steering feel on center will be vague and it won`t have the feedback you want from a good steering gear. Mark SC&C

Ah, so I can just put an insert in the other side like I did for the box and all is well? I assume it the same metric thread as the box is so my standard flares will still screw in?