PDA

View Full Version : METAL on drain plug- help identify please

Z06vet
09-10-2012, 04:19 PM
3 small thin curved pieces. Cant tell if these were once part of a ring or if there were always individual. Enclosed pic with stock LS1 keeper as reference. Leaving (hopefully) on thursday for RTTH.. need to address this ASAP. Car runs/sounds fine. Just happened to change the oil before my trip, & found this. Valve covers are off, but all looks fine.
Scott

eroc022
09-10-2012, 06:18 PM
I just rebuilt mine, and cant think of anything except one the LS1 blocks, under the valley tray, there are some "pockets" one of these must be cut if converting to a LS6 PCV system.... kind of looks like a piece of that..

next best guess would be part of the valve guide wall ?

is it magnetic ?

Z06vet
09-10-2012, 07:38 PM
Yes, all 3 pieces were stuck to the drain plug magnet. The block is an 04 LS1 that has never been apart. Heads are CNC'd 241's with dual springs + dampener. I got them used but had them check before using. I believe they used the metal valve seals as opposed to the stock type. Its been together for 1.5yrs & approx 6000 mi.

AintQik
09-11-2012, 03:33 AM
Check compression on #7. Rings like to break over there, although it doesn't look like a ring.

JEFFTATE
09-11-2012, 06:39 AM
The big thing that was common in those early LS engines, was the rocker arm trunnion needle bearings breaking and coming out in pieces .
But , this doesn't look like rocker arm trunnion bearings ...

BTW , are your rocker arms in good shape , are they original ?
You may need to upgrade the trunnion bearings in them or replace them ..

I wonder if the slightly curved pieces of metal are part of the round end cap that covers the bearings on the rocker arms .
see this thread .
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z06-discussion/1989157-ls7-broken-rocker-arm-needle-bearings-issue-40.html

AintQik
09-11-2012, 10:30 AM
Yeah I've seen bearings but in the pan but they are pretty complete. Those end caps do look like a candidate. Easy check to! Good call Jeff.