PDA

View Full Version : What to use on Enamel paint ???

ProTeal55
07-28-2005, 12:35 PM
Hello ,

My 55 that I own now was rebuilt by some good-ol-boy in 1999 , and for some unknown reason, he used enamel paint for the car, instead of a clear coat. None of the products that I have used thus far are working to make the car shine. All they due is clean the paint , and leave a ton of hairline scratches.

I plan on doing a full frame off on the car in a year or two , but for now i want to get the paint to shine the best it can.

Anyone know of what wax/polish I should use on this paint to make is sparkle ? I have been told by a few people that with the right product , you can make enamel / single stage paint look like glass.

Thanks in advance for any help.....

68protouring454
07-29-2005, 03:39 AM
yeah, wet sand it with 2500 and buff it out with compound then go onto a handglaze to rid it of swirl marks
jake

ProdigyCustoms
07-29-2005, 03:52 AM
As long as it had hardner used in it you can buff it. If it is acrylic enamel, it can come out pretty nice. If it is single stage, and a metalic, it will split coat if you sand and buff. You can buff solids though. If it is cheapo straight enamel and no hardner, you need to buy some stripper if you are not happy with the shine, becasue it is what it is.
So before you ask, there is no real way I know of to determine what it is and what was used. Biggest thing is, if it is metalic do not sand and buff if it is not cleared. If it is solid, you could try a spot down low and see how it buffs. Be warned though, if you are not experianced with buffing, you can ruin more then you do good!
If it is a good ole boy, there is a high likely hood he Georgia hot plated it, and if he did, your screwed on shinning it. It only shined long enough to deliver it. Was it painted in the southeast?

CAMAROBOY69
07-29-2005, 04:01 AM
To back up what Jake and Frank said...
That is exactly what I have done before too with acrylic enamel paint jobs. Sand then buff. Just be carefull not to burn thru the enamel otherwise it will end up lighter than the rest of the car. Doesnt look like you have metal flake in it so thats one less problem to deal with.

ProTeal55
07-29-2005, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the advice, the car does not have any metallic in it , so I am good their...

I actually did alittle sanding and buffing last night , on a small spot and it came out pretty well.I am going to do the rest of the car tomorrow.

Thanks for the input......