PDA

View Full Version : scary situation today

ehummelman
09-06-2012, 02:53 PM
I noticed some faint clunking over bumps this morning and thought maybe my ball joints or tie rod ends were starting to go. After dropping off my daughter at school I reversed out of my spot and heard a nasty metallic growl when turning the wheel. Moving forward again it sounded fine. I went straight to my favorite alignment guy and had him put it up on the lift. Turns out the upper bolt holding the caliper to the bracket was gone and the lower bolt was not even finger tight. You could just flop the caliper around with your hand. WTF?? The two bolts were drilled for safety wire but obviously not wired. I'm assuming no Loctite either since they just backed themselves out. Time to invest in some safety wire pliers for me. That was enough of a scare.

cheapthrillz
09-06-2012, 04:30 PM
Had the same thing happen to my Supra one time.... very scary.... I used loc-tite after that lol

Tony_SS
09-07-2012, 06:08 AM
After chasing down a front end clunking to find out is was the calipers rattling on the bolts and needing new bushings, I'll never forget that sound.

jpgolf14
09-07-2012, 08:03 AM
This is why I always safety wire caliper bolts. I have gone extreme lately wiring almost all of my steering, suspension, and brake bolts. It is not hard to learn. You can even get the pliers and wire from your local Harbor Freight.

ehummelman
09-07-2012, 01:56 PM
Agreed, I plan on going cuckoo with the safety wire now.

jpgolf14
09-07-2012, 02:31 PM
Agreed, I plan on going cuckoo with the safety wire now.

Cool. If you plan on drilling your own heads, I can highly recommend McMaster Carr part number 8882A13 dill bit. I have tried a lot of different bits but these are the only bits that last for me. Solid carbide is a must on the hardened bolts. Buy two so you have an extra when you break one.

Rod
09-07-2012, 06:31 PM
had the same thing happen after a track day, lost a bolt and the caliper was just smacking the rim on the track, kinda freaks you out, now I do a complete suspension check before and after every event

heres the back of the brake
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2012/09/GEDC9662-1.jpg

and the rim
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2012/09/GEDC9664-1.jpg

jpgolf14
09-09-2012, 11:23 AM
had the same thing happen after a track day, lost a bolt and the caliper was just smacking the rim on the track, kinda freaks you out, now I do a complete suspension check before and after every event

Nice thing about lock wire is you can visually nut and bolt the car in a few minutes rather than checking each one for tightness. Another option is to use Torque Seal so you can visually determine if the bolt has turned. I use this stuff in applications where lock wire is not practical. Between lock wire and torque seal, I can nut and bolt my whole car is just a few minutes and with out lifting the car. For super critical bolts, I will actually lock wire and torque seal. Cheap and easy to do both. But I have gone nuts with my bolt retention. :)

You can see the torque seal here on the two nuts on the right of the picture.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2012/09/7941738046_5ba0b2b5c3_h-1.jpg

ehummelman
09-10-2012, 06:37 AM
Interesting stuff, never seen the Torque Seal. So simple, it's genius.