PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever consider a GM Quadrasteer?

65elkyprotour
09-06-2012, 10:49 AM
I was reading some stuff about the Quadrasteer feature available on '03-'04 Chevy trucks and it sounded interesting. Seems like 4 wheel steering comes and goes. In the early 90's Nissan had the Super HICAS steering in the 240SX and the Honda Prelude also had 4WS. Just wondering what opinions people had about it for use on a track like Mid-Ohio or something.

Kenova
09-06-2012, 05:51 PM
I remember those going down the line. The rear ends are huge, definitely bigger than the usual ten bolt you find under the 1500s.

The targeted market was people pulling trailers, needing to maneuver in tight spots, and those just wanting something easier to park. For a working truck in a big city they would have been just the ticket.

Then GM's marketing people got involved.

To order the Quadrasteer you had to take a heavy duty charging system (understandable, since it was all electric) and trailering package. But it didn't stop there. In the wisdom of the wiz-bang marketing dept. they decided you should also have to take a full leather luxury interior. Just what you need for your work truck.

Those that would want it didn't order it because they didn't want to spend the extra money on options they didn't want. Most of those who wanted the luxury options didn't really give a damn about the extra maneuverability.

With a Quadrasteer system tied into the modern dynamic stability systems only a major screw up would loose control of a vehicle. I've always thought the Quadrasteer would have been perfect for the 15 passenger extended vans.

Other than the weight and size of the rear axle, you would also have to contend with the sensor for the steering column, a speed sensor input, the computer than ran it all, plus all of the associated wiring. There may be lighter systems out there, but I doubt they would be strong enough for track use.

Ken

CamaroAJ
09-07-2012, 06:20 PM
also at 35mph and up all wheels turn the same direction to make lane changes easier so it would really hurt your cornering ability at speed.

SLO_Z28
09-08-2012, 02:58 AM
We had a nickname for quadrasteer and it wasn't the nicest (or very PC). I am one of the few people certified to work on it, and id never buy it. The biggest failure is that it only comes on half ton trucks. I don't know who in their right mind that tows enough to want q-steer that would buy a 1/2 ton and not a 3/4 or better.

For on track use it would be terrible, It would quite possibly be THE worst vehicle you could choose for any performance driving.

MrQuick
09-08-2012, 12:32 PM
It was a gimmic for trenders who might have a jet ski trailer or a pop up to use while going on weekend trips to the Hamptons.

To have on a car for use other than parallel parking infront of the Gap would be scary. Remember the mitsubishi 3000 I think it was, didn't help much, they still got spanked.

Hey James, did Gm have to fly you all over the country to fix crap?

bmiller
09-08-2012, 03:12 PM
I had an 03 Quadrasteer Silverado for nearly 5 years and loved it. Never had a problem with it and it was at nearly 150,000 miles when I sold it this spring.

SLO_Z28
09-09-2012, 07:36 AM
Hey James, did Gm have to fly you all over the country to fix crap?

No, but there was a recall I had to do on the software, and all 14 of the trucks that were sold in northern CA had to come to the STC in San Jose for us to work on. As I understand it now from my old teacher (and neighbor) the WCT cert now requires that module, as it was used in a few other GM vehicles too.

70camaro406
09-12-2012, 12:30 PM
The biggest failure is that it only comes on half ton trucks. I don't know who in their right mind that tows enough to want q-steer that would buy a 1/2 ton and not a 3/4 or better.

Incorrect.

It was available on both 2500 series Silverados and Suburbans with the 6.0L, 8 lug wheels, and 8600 GVWR.

I almost bought a 2500 Quadrasteer Suburban back in '05, but I wanted the 8.1 BB, so I got an '04 8.1L instead.