PDA

View Full Version : SAN DIEGO AUTOCROSS Sept30 Oct20 Nov18

Pages : [1] 2 3

soloracerSD
08-29-2012, 10:50 AM
Next EVENTS for 2014 JULY 5,6,19,20 August 9,10,Sept 7th For Classing info go to TEXT 7(((((Dates listed in title of thread are from 2012....2013 schedule can be found at SDR-SCCA.com/solo2.Skip to 2013 text on this thread to see what is up to date
Late 2013 I erased most all on this text.It was so old and out dated info.I just didn't want to waste peoples time reading it.

UPDATE! UPDATE! WE are going to have a Pro-Touring Class just for Sept 30 2012("PTX"is the class title) 200 Treadwear Tires street legal car .CAM is the Class now!

UPDATE 11/27/2012 most PT cars now run in SM a SCCA 4 seater class with lots of mods allowed class Now!, stock frame .UPDATE : middle of 2013 PT now run in class Street Unlimited(SU) Now "CAM" for Vintage Muscle cars 1978 and older

TEXT #7 is a quick break down of Official SCCA autocross classes,suiting muscle cars.

UPDATE:11/29/2013 DTM started SCCA SDR Street Modified Vintage rules Thread for discussion.

UPDATE 2014 :The SCCA has noticed the growing popularity of autocrossing street legal Vintage Muscle cars.So San Diego now has a local regional class "Classic American Muscle"1978 and OLDER no less then 3000LB no less then 200 tread ware tires can be used.

We hold our events at Qualcomm stadium ,San Diego.Things start happening at 7:30 am.Registration,Pick a work duty,which will be 30mins to more the a hour , Car Safety inspection,Course walk a must! Can all be done before 8:45am.Registration closes at 11:30.Cars start their runs at 9am.3 groups before lunch break then you can walk the course again.3 more groups after that.We also have a Novice class for your first three events if you choose too.If the class you choose to run in is running in the afternoon then 10:30am is the lastest you want to show up at the Q.

For more info check out our website SDR-SCCA.com/SOLO2 check out this video VIMEO.com/12067348 and others at SOLO2.com our site is (SDRSCCA.com the new one)

soloracerSD
08-29-2012, 11:35 AM
Any Questions?, I'm ready to answer them.. To Add.. At most of our events this year we had a saturday practice.That would be 45.00 and 9 plus laps.The track on sunday is run in the reverse direction with some turns changed.No Saturday practice for next three events.You can buy laps at 4 lap groups.And do laps at the end of the day for 2 dollars if we don't have a full day of enteries.

Tomswheels
09-01-2012, 05:46 PM
George, thanks for all the info on this, so all I do is show up with the Barracuda and some $$, correct? Don't sign up in advance?

79-TA
09-01-2012, 08:04 PM
So I have a question. I'm assuming both my Mustang and Trans Am would end up in CP. But what class would my stock '91 Miata end up in? It has 300 treadwear Yokohama s-drive tires. It does have a throttle body spacer, so it's not perfectly stock.

soloracerSD
09-02-2012, 09:32 AM
TOMWHEELS That is correct.you show up with 20.00 to be a weekend member, Then you pay 30.00 to race 4 laps.And sign up for a work duty.You can buy 4 more laps also.sometime at a reduced price.When the Flyer is posted on our site,second 4 lap prices will be showen They are called "Xruns" .At San Diego Region SCCA we are made up of 5 different clubs .Each Club takes turns putting events on.Sometimes the club putting the event on for SCCA will reduce the price of the second set of 4 "Xruns".If all the runs that are paided for are done and it is before 3:30 pm.The club may offer laps for 2 dollars or 3laps for 5.00..For those that have been running 4 laps earlier.. "FUN RUNs"

Also important to walk the course.Many drivers walk it three times before their runs.You can walk it before 8:45 and at lunch break before 4th group.At sign up you will have to pic a Work assignment.That work assignment could last more then an hour. Fun Stuff.Picking up cones cars hit ,talking on Radio.etc.It's a club event every one puts in a CLUB effort .You don't have to be a member of one of the 5 clubs.

I haven't seen the Flyer for the event myself it should be posted soon at SDR-SCCA.com/solo2.

soloracerSD
09-02-2012, 09:35 AM
The only time you preregister with us at SAN DIEGO SCCA Qualcomm is for our Saturday practices..THERE ARE NO MORE OF THOSE THIS YEAR>2013 SCHEDULE WILL BE AT SDR-SCCA.COM/SOLO2

soloracerSD
09-02-2012, 10:27 AM
In 2015 the AWD cars like Subaru moving from ESP class to ASP. Joining ZL-1 Camaro and GXP Pontiac,Z28,Maybe Hellcat Challenger there. Is still up for debate..There is no planned move yet.

Here's a quick break down of classes that relate to Mustangs, Camaros and CUDa and Falcon.& Nova,Corvair..

Muscle car SCCA classes in limited detail in the following
F-STOCK FS or FSR (R=DOT race tire) you can change one Sway-bar for stock thats it" It's stock".any shock or Brake pad can be used.Stock seat, STREET TIRE 200 treadwear .Also a improved suspension Street Tire class. "STU" and suspension rules are very close to ESP rules ,but with wheel size restrictions.

E-Street Prepared(ESP is a popular class for muscle cars,I even posted the page for it) ESP=Bolt on for engine and suspension.also backdate update rules within bodystyle.example you can change and lower the springs ,,add or enlarge sway-bars.You can change 2 front control A arms only ,Not all 4.you can change rear uppers not lower, plus add Watts Link or Pan-Hard bar and Camber,Caster plates .LEAFSPRING CARS MUST STAY LEAFSPRING ,Some brake upgrades are allowed.But there are limits on Calipers.The motor can be any that was available in that Brand body gen production in most cases.Intake and exhaust manifolds&complete exhaust can be changed no turbos can be added.no head or cam changes. You can only have a cage that mounts to the interior floor in 6 places plus two forward bonus bars that attach to firewall not threw .Cage Not Requiered!Subframe connecters allowed but not cross braced ones,Those put you in CP.ESP must have full interior!

We have a Dodge Magnum wagon running regularly in ESP you can add to that class

C-Prepared CP-this is combined Class in San Diego to run against BP FP and XP cars And are equalized by a PAX INDEX ..CP has 2 seconds plus taken off it's time if laps are in mid 60 seconds.CP can be the slowest car in the P-1=XP,BP,FP,CP and win first place

Okay this is the class.CP Example any GM motor in any GM put a Chevy in a Pontiac,Buick You can build the motor but not add a turbo.You can build your own suspension or bolt on a 4-link when you had leafs before.Large brake rotors front and rear ,Fiberglass fenders&hood and trunk plus allowed.You can have a full cage through firewall.You can build your own front suspension even change the subframe but get 270lb or 300lb added to it's Minimum weight for aftermarket subframe .Minimum weight of a CP 5.1L V8 is 2700lb over 5.1L and your 3000lb plus. Interior like four seats is optional In CP.In ESP you must have interior including 4 seats .Tires in P1-XP,BP,CP,FP classes are anything goes Race Slicks, Dot 40 Treadwear or 200 or 140 treadwear..No CP cars currently running in San Diego So it's up to you guys to be our CP cars.XP,BP,FP we have( UPDATE 1/18/2014 if your into our New Vintage CAM class you can also do CP on any tire you want.)5/2014 we have a CP(SU) car now .Plus if you add Forced induction to a Tubeframed CP car your put in XP class I think.And live axle cars stay live axle.It Can Be A Serious Builders class.Very Much Like our Vintage CAM class.

Street Mod SM Any 4 seater that may have Turbos added.Engine swaping within brand. Factory lights and interior.Rear seat can be removed..Hood,Fenders and Trunk can be replaced with other material.Same cage spec rules as ESP and not required.(In 2013 this is where most of the PT cars were running) Engine can be built like in CP plus allows forced induction.Which you can't do in CP.You can replace the complete suspension.Stock frame mounts for suspension must be used .In CP you can strip mounts off the frame and build your own suspension.

For the Tuner Late Model cars like Shelby 500& BOSS,ZL-1 Camaro.They run in A-Stock on street tires.Next they can run in ESP more Mods to SM .For the Saleen S281E BSP or SM..for the Pontiac Firehawk 383 is BSP none 383 is ESP or SM,CP..Mustang Laguna Seca ESP or SM,CP...Camaro 2012+ZL-1 is AS,ASP,SM maybe CP.GXP Pontiac also but not CP

So "most" any street driven 4 seater Muscle car can run in ESP or SM.Including Stock cars, it's your choice IT's THAT SIMPLE

Our SCCA SOLO2 rule book is some 300 pages These are examples of the classes.(pages 80 to 115+ covers these classes.SCCA has been classing cars for 60 yrs.With time ,comes lots of details)Just pick a class that is most like your car.It is really up to the folks that run in your class whether your car is legal in class.They won't care if your car has 1 thing that isn't allowed in class.You might get advice to what might be best choice of class for you.The folks at registration can help you but they don't always know all the details of all the classes.Get a class most fitting for your car and ask question there.OR JUST RUN "X" WHICH is NO CLASS but you still need your class on the door.Or our San Diego No Rules Street Unlimited "SU" DOT Tire class.

JUST HAVE FUN! Socializing& racing with San Diego driving Enthusiasts

For online rule book :SCCA.com/Solo click: Car rules and classification

To truly build a car to meet one of these classes That's National Competitive.You really need to read the SCCA SOLO rule & Class book.Information here will give you a start in that.But there is enough info here to get you in a class without further waiting.No NEED TO WAIT!..:) Go to your nearest SCCA autocross and run this weekend!

Any questions I can probably answer also you can contact Doug Gill SCCA SOLO Competition management.He is expecting your calls.
I hope this cheat sheet to the rule book helps some..:)

soloracerSD
09-02-2012, 10:38 AM
Sometimes The class that allows more mods doesn't have faster times then cars that are close to stock.So moving up a class isn't such a bad thing.

soloracerSD
09-04-2012, 07:37 AM
Some say I might chip my paint...:(Answer: BLUE TAPE..on your fenders add a little cardboard under it if you want.We have had Lamborghini and Audi Super cars R8 that look good in Blue Tape.

Bryce
09-04-2012, 12:05 PM
If my car is back together I will be there on the 30th

blakes72x
09-04-2012, 12:23 PM
ill be there to watch as my car won't be ready by then looks like ill end up in the CP class when she's all done up

soloracerSD
09-04-2012, 12:59 PM
Thank You for repling Blake.It would be nice to see that Nova run with us.There is a Nova down the street from me that has flared fenders no motor just waitingfor a Pro-Touring make over.

Blake you show up our event and I'll get you a ride in one of the cars running.

soloracerSD
09-04-2012, 01:03 PM
Bryce's Falcon could be in CP to.who will be faster the Falcon or Nova?

blakes72x
09-04-2012, 06:19 PM
Thank You for repling Blake.It would be nice to see that Nova run with us.There is a Nova down the street from me that has flared fenders no motor just waitingfor a Pro-Touring make over.

Blake you show up our event and I'll get you a ride in one of the cars running.

Bryce's Falcon could be in CP to.who will be faster the Falcon or Nova?

thanks appreciate it

prolly the falcon right now lol my car is my daily driver atm but i got a mountain of parts in the garage waiting for her

main thing thats putting me in CP is the 4 link and the brakes

you mentioned no turbo in CP what about a supercharger? or is it just no power adders?

any rules for aftermarket seats? like FIA aproved or w/e?

another question say i ditch the 4link and keep leafs could i run front coilvers and tubular a-arms in ESP? also what if my brakes are aftermarket but aren't larger than the factory discs? still got drums in back

soloracerSD
09-04-2012, 11:44 PM
Only turbos or superchargers allowed in CP would be on a v6 or 4. example Thunderbird V6 SC or 4 cyl turbo mustang..you might be able to use these in a 67 mustang. with a 2550 minimum weight a 302 and it's 2700 to3000Lbs Supercharged V8 with a Leafspring swap to 4-Link or IRS would put you in XP better to be in BP that might be possible to.

Seats.Good question.Stock class has to use stock seats.After that you can use racing seats for cars Not Go-Kart racing seats.Yes it has been done ,they are light.It took two years to band them

If you are running your 72 Nova in just our local events I think you can get away with changing the front control arms.It my not be legal in ESP though.Also in ESP I think you have to use stock brake calipers/Stock size brake rotors but they can be drilled and grooved.Add rear disc when it wasn't a factory option is also a no...( Update I've read that drums can be changed to disc if rotor fits in drum,Also you have a choice of changing the front upper control arm or the the bottom but not both,Goodtime to read the current rule book).

I almost forgot I talked to the San Diego SCCA Chairman to day.He wants a Pro-Touring Class for Sept 30 we will probably call it Pro-Touring X" PTX" 200 treadwear tire" street cars" any suspension.brakes,engine. You will have to register by phone for this PTX class only.I will show the phone # as soon as our Flyer is out.THIS IS FOR EVERY PT autocrosser

Tomswheels
09-05-2012, 05:47 AM
That sounds great, love the idea of a pro-touring class!

soloracerSD
09-05-2012, 08:15 AM
I'm glade you like it Tom.. I wrote the rules in the beginning of the tread.I also added that if a "PTX" car shows up on stickier the 200 treadwear tires they will be bumped to SM or CP in P1 combined.We plan to have the P1-XP,BP,CP,FP run the same time as PTX.So if we bump a guy he still will run at time of PTX.Some of you PTX guys might want to run sticky tires.This way you still run together and it is as fare as we can make it.It's the SCCA way..LOL I know Greg has Hoosier 40 treadwear tires for his camaro.

V8240Z
09-05-2012, 09:20 AM
Once my car is on the road, you will see me. It's exciting to see the interest in Pro-touring grow.

soloracerSD
09-05-2012, 10:08 AM
If your car isn't ready by Sept 30 Come down anyway Speak to me George P or Scott Lewis.BTW Scott might be at the El Cajon car show tonight.He use to show a orange Impala there. He sold recently.

blakes72x
09-05-2012, 04:26 PM
That sounds great, love the idea of a pro-touring class!

yea that does sound nice

DesertFox
09-07-2012, 06:17 PM
Very interested. I won't be able to make the Sept one but the Nov one is looking really promising.
My car is designated CP however I have full interior, stereo, A/C and the normal creature comforts found in a car, and I drive it on a regular basis. It got it's rear kicked by real CP cars in Lincoln this week. I would love to get to compete against something similar.

soloracerSD
09-07-2012, 07:13 PM
See you then in Nov. then .. Just check in here to be up to date of whats happening in Nov..With the PTX class we're putting together.Cars willl run on 200 treadwear.This follows what Good Guys and Ultimate Street Car Challenge and ASCS are doing..more places to run and more cars will be built. Add stickier tires and we put you in CP.I'm tring to plan things so that PTX always runs at sametime as CP.So if you choose to run on sticky tires we still run together.

SCOTT688
09-08-2012, 09:13 PM
Hello all!

soloracerSD has been hyping our San Diego Region SCCA events lately. I am here to say hello and invite your group to attend our autocross events. As the event chairman for the upcoming September 30th date, I will do all I can to get your group recognized in a provisional type of classing for this event.

As George mentioned, we have "time only(no trophy)" entries as 'X' runs and we may be able to get your class of PTX under this X category for separate timing of your group. Again this would be provisional were it to happen. The CP class may also be a good fit if needed for proper scoring should the PTX not work out.

Although we don't have monetary awards, I will provide a trophy to the class of at least 5 entrants. The trophies are usually at future events within 4-6 weeks.

Please take a moment to view our results page http://www.sdr-scca.com/solo2/results/
After clicking the link, choose a date and click FINAL
Once you have done this, click on the P1
This will take you directly to the P1 class where the CP cars would normally run if entered. It will also show you the finishers and their vehicles this year. It is an indexed(handicap) class based on P1 = XP, BP, CP, FP vehicles. It will make more sense once you attend for yourself.

Clear as mud, right??? Come visit us and we will accommodate.

Thanks

Scott Lewis
San Diego SOLO Chairman

79-TA
09-09-2012, 09:00 PM
Can we get a clarification on cost and the number of runs we could expect to get? The SCCA membership is $70.00? What is the cost of the event itself (with and without membership)?

soloracerSD
09-12-2012, 10:32 AM
I'll try to explain fee options.
To run your car it's first 4 laps on Sundays will cost you 30.00.saturday practice is around 10 laps for 45.00.You must be a member of the SCCA to run.We offer a weekend trial membership for 15.00 there is also San Diego Regional membership card, weekend membership 5.00..

Now that is a total of 50.00.if you just do sunday.
The 15.00 you paid to be a weekend member of the SCCA can be put to good use.If you choose to have a membership for the SCCA with in 30 days past event.You can call the SCCA tell them your reciept #.Your membership will be 15.00 less.Membership is 65.00 you pay 50.00.If you are active military you will get a 35.00 rebate.With a membership to the SCCA you get a Bi-Monthly magazine, also discount offers for motels.rental cars even some performance stuff.

This is all I can tell you about membership..Our Membership Director is Warren L. Look him up at SDR-SCCA.com/solo2 To add but not sure 1yr SDR card is 25.00 renewals are 10,00

Sometimes you can buy your second group of 4 laps for less then 30.It depends on the event.Also to add we have 42 classes listed per event add ladies classes and we have 84 per event divided over 6 run groups.We have 150 plus entries per event.We have also done 300 plus entries before.So we have a place for any car.If you didn't know.The SCCA has been around a long time ,James Dean and Steve McQueen were members of the SCCA. SCCA establlished in 1944

SDR-SCCA.com/solo2

mpozzi
09-12-2012, 04:19 PM
This sounds like an ideal venue to get some seat time and run against similar cars to compare times, bench race, and generally have a really fun time with cars and people. Being about 400 miles north, it's doubtful I'll get a chance to bring the orange sled down to play but I've run at this site before and it's a blast. Very open with elevation changes and the courses are excellent.

Thanks for offering a class for us with our Pro-Touring junk and also for following suit with the tire treadwear limits.

And if you're on the fence about joining SCCA ... do it!! There's so much positive about the club and being a member gets you a ticket to a lot of the regulated Solo events in the So. Cal. area.

Mary Pozzi

SCOTT688
09-13-2012, 10:28 AM
Thank you for the kind words Mary!

Scott Lewis

Project92rs
09-13-2012, 12:14 PM
Being about 400 miles north, it's doubtful I'll get a chance to bring the orange sled down to play but I've run at this site before and it's a blast. Very open with elevation changes and the courses are excellent.

Mary Pozzi

Mary, If Val and I are willing to drive over from Phoenix for this, certainly you can make a run down from the Bay area....

DTM Racing
09-13-2012, 08:48 PM
I'll be helping promote this as much as I can. If we can get the cars to come, we'll be able to complete for points next season!

Bryce
09-14-2012, 04:28 AM
I'll be helping promote this as much as I can. If we can get the cars to come, we'll be able to complete for points next season!

Dan,

That is awesome, I hope you can make it. Call me if you are headed this way.

soloracerSD
09-16-2012, 09:52 PM
The Sept 30 SDR-SCCA SCAT event flyer&race schedule is now available at sdr-scca.com/solo2.com..At SCCA San Diego competition events it's best out of 4 laps.If you choose to race in a class. Those 4 laps will be your first of the day.If you do Xruns or ride as a passenger before your Race class laps you get DQed.Even riding a scooter around the track can get you DQed.You enter your car in a class fitting for your car.You run it in the Run Group that it is listed and Work the Group that is paired with it.I can't stress enough how important it is to walk the track.I walk it three times before my runs and I still go off course sometimes. lost!="DNF" halfmile plus & countless turns.

Xruns are run for time only,No chance of getting a Trophy.You can do these after your class runs if schedule permits.You can do Xruns without doing any competition runs.

If you are really thinking of doing our event, call me I will get you 15.00 off your 12 month membership to SCCA after you enter and I'll answer questions.If you just have questions just write them here.I'm asking the folks that if they have a 72 or older ,or body platform built that matches what was available in 72 that fits pro-touring listed early in thread to run in 4th run group.Ask to run in PT-X class or ask for me George Pollock or Scott Lewis if you get a WHAT?.It's just so you all can run together.Some of you might want to do Xruns earlier.Doing that would keep you from running PT-X.But it would make you a good advisor of how to drive the course for someone who is..Like a Son or friend.So will there be a trophy for PT-X? YES! If they are your first 4 laps in the 4th run group and you have not been driving or been a passenger on the track before that.5 cars are needed in class to qualify it for 1 trophy.It takes as long as 6 weeks to get your trophy.

BTW all laps of 4 are 30.00, plus 20.00 for day membership to SCCA George Pollock 619 275 4845
After all 6 run groups are done and its before 4pm. Event Chairman may offer laps for 2 dollars"FUN RUNS" for registered racers.Keep numbers and wrist bands on.FREE TO WATCH!

Fun and Bench Racing

soloracerSD
09-17-2012, 08:07 AM
To add ..If you plan to do laps in one of the first three run groups try being there at 7;30am.There is a line for New SCCA Memberships and one for registration.Then a car tech line.Then you need to walk the track with Novice instructor. The track layout can be complicated.For example watch Jeff Kiesel's videos on YOUTUBE.com "San Diego autocross Turbo Sprite" the green frog.BTW ESP cars run group 2,work group 1

If you plan to run after lunch break.Then be there by 10:30am-any later and you will feel rushed.

I have 10 places available for PT-X in run group 4.I need to reserve them.9/18

Gandalf
09-19-2012, 03:34 PM
Hey George and Scott - thanks again for keeping us posted on your local SD events and your efforts to include us are appreciated (despite my head hurting a little after each time I try to digest the classes and run groups etc lol).

Mary's endorsement makes a difference so thanks for that Mary.

In response to the enthusiasm shown for including our PT folks here - I will commit to the Sept30th date and invite other locals to do same. My own focus is some much needed seat time so I'll opt for as many runs as I can get in (and of coarse the obligatory working the event), in lieu of running in class.

I replied to your PM George - thanks.
G.

soloracerSD
09-19-2012, 04:05 PM
Give me a call Greg ,You could be doing laps at 9am.Yes that DQ you from PT-X But you can still run with them just no trophy.You can tell them what turns were tough.

Just call me .. soon

BTW the SCCA will have a BOOTH at the Coronado Speed festival. San Diego Region Chairmen Scott Lewis will be there Both days.Ask for him and say hello.He would like to hear from Pro-Touring enthusiast.I'll be there one of the days.

johnny68
09-19-2012, 07:39 PM
hey george i will try my hardest to be at the next event(if sandy lets me take here baby) looks like its ptx class youll have to decide tube a arms torque arm rear, 4 disc brakes, stock 72 body ,200 tires ill give you a call thur.
john

Bryce
09-20-2012, 04:44 AM
George,

Thanks again for setting this up. I have been busy and unable to return your calls, sorry about that.

John,

Same goes for you. However, I will be there on Sunday, what time you going?

soloracerSD
09-20-2012, 06:43 PM
No problem Bryce.Long hours and family will keep you busy.I'm just a single guy and no kids .Except for me!.

Where is your friend Tom?Does he have a Barracuda Mopar.

Oh if anyone missed it..The SCCA will have a Booth at the Coronado Speed festival.Scott Lewis will be there so just ask for him to say hello.I'll be there to but not both days.

V8240Z
09-21-2012, 06:54 AM
George,
Thanks for this encouragement. I will be at Coronado tommorrow and will make it a point to stop by. My car is still a bit away, but I do want to run at the stadium and hopefully the PTX class becomes a reality.
Charles

Tomswheels
09-21-2012, 09:47 PM
George, I've also lagged calling you , I apologize. I am the guy who had the half sanded Green and red Saleen that talked with you on Sunday at Goodguys. Im planning on bringing the cuda below on the 30th, and I will try to call you asap.

soloracerSD
09-22-2012, 12:06 AM
Thats a CUDA? it looks foreign to me in that picture.Like a Alfa Spider,,lol.Tom I thought it was you with the Sanded down Saleen.Your friend had the grey primer Mustang I think a 70.

Yes call me, That black Cuda, Cuda? looks sharp! I think a real head turner for the guys and gals at the stadium.
BTW To all of you. We have about 25% lady racers.They can put a spanking on the guys to.

it looks like a shorten 67 cuda

soloracerSD
09-22-2012, 03:15 PM
Brett are you still planning on Bringing down the Miata?You can run it in CSP 1st run group work 4th..I also race in CSP..

Where That HELL BOY orange C-10 Chevy Pickup..Love to see that show up at our event.

79-TA
09-22-2012, 11:41 PM
Hey, sorry for the lack of response. I did read your pm's.

The return to the coast event is a week after the autocross, so I'm trying to see how much prep either my Mustang or Trans Am will take to get ready and whether or not I can afford to give up that Sunday afternoon.

I'll know a bit more tomorrow based on what I end up getting done.

V8240Z
09-23-2012, 06:24 AM
Hey all,
I went by and talked to Scott Lewis, the current San Diego SCCA president at the Coronado Speed Festival yesterday and have to say I was very impressed. He expressed a true desire to work with the Pro-touring community to find a place for us to run against each other during these events. I am certainly fired up as it seems like an affordable place to get some seat time. I am out of town for this first time, but hope we as a community can field 5-10 cars and make this happen. Scott did explain that having cars for the group (PT-X) is required to make this happen. Please make sure to contact Scott or George so they know we are interested.

Charles
1973 Camaro - project REFORGED

go-fish
09-23-2012, 02:02 PM
I talked with the guys at teh SCCA booth today as well. We in the SD area will be well served if we have the 5 car minimum show up on a regular basis. 5 cars would help us run together so we wouldn't get spread out throught the different classes. For instance if 3 P-T cars showed then one may get put in one class due to it's mods but another P-T car could be put in another class entirely due to another mod (Aftermarket front subframe for instance).

The PTX class sounds like it will allow any kind of car that could run in a Goodguys Auto-X and doesn't make a muscle car with P-T type modifications run in a class in which virtual racecars run.

I will show up for the first PTX (Sep 30) to help out with duties but I'm not going to run. The next weekend I should have the cuda ready to roll.

Thanks Scott and George.

johnny68
09-23-2012, 07:25 PM
well john howed it go picking up the fish i will be at the stadium 10-1030 sun. call me
john

go-fish
09-23-2012, 08:50 PM
How else would it have gone? It's pushed to Monday! :banghead:

79-TA
09-23-2012, 09:02 PM
How else would it have gone? It's pushed to Monday! :banghead:

What!? Where does it say that?

go-fish
09-24-2012, 12:38 AM
What!? Where does it say that?

Sorry, that exchange about Monday was not in reference to Qualcomm. Monday is when I get my car out of prison.

DTM Racing
09-24-2012, 07:53 PM
I'll be there. At a minimum the Road Runner, may bring the 62 as well for the wife to drive.

soloracerSD
09-24-2012, 08:05 PM
DTM are you Dan with the with the 68 road runner?Is there 2 68 roadrunners.There is a profile
68rroadrunner right?

soloracerSD
09-24-2012, 08:47 PM
Now here are some of the changes..PT-X is OUT! Bet that got your attention..lol But Really we have to make things easier for registration,Timing &Score data entry folks working the event and Larry C.Larry C is our timing and scoring records keeper.All people working these events before and after are Volunteers.So to make things simpler.We need to change PT-X to AM-X.There isn't a PT in the Timing&Scoring software or a Pax Index for it.AM is A-Modified winged formula cars.None of them running with us and Add the X so that it isn't a official class but sense Scott lewis is offering a trophy to Pro-touring cars it is for you PT guys this weekend.To race for a trophy you must sign up as AM-X run in 4thgroup work6th.5 AM-X Pro-Touring cars will have to be running in 4th run group.No one is to drive the course before that or ride as a passenger.Those are competition rules.It's up to you.I have a Nova waiting for challengers.

To get the Pro Touring name out there the announce will know .Also if you are feeling creative.You can print Bump sticker size Pro touring on photo paper.Stick that on 5"x8" sheet magnets from Micheals craft store.just a idea.

go-fish
09-25-2012, 06:31 AM
George, Dan is 68roadrunner, DTM, sometimes Dan@Hotchkiss and some others I'm sure I'm missing. But, that is him; quick blue Road Runner.

I talked with you at Coronado. I will drive my Cuda up there to the Murph but I will only be helping with duties, watch, learn, laugh at Johnny68, ...... I'll have to get some things straight before I'll run.

I'll be calling tonight.

soloracerSD
09-25-2012, 06:44 AM
I remember you Johnny C.So is your friend going to run his

go-fish
09-25-2012, 12:42 PM
I don't know. I just met him when talking to him about his Camaro at the car show. I told him about this event. He just got his car done at Best of Show Coachworks and said he definitely won't be doing and auto x in it. Idon't know anything about his vette'.

soloracerSD
09-25-2012, 01:07 PM
There is a Black Camaro that might make it to our event from Best of Show Coachworks.You saw the picture

I say if you build it to run Then Run IT!.We have Euro Exotics that wrap Blue tape around the lower 15" of their car and run them.Cones very rarely leave a mark.With a good coat of wax no marks.Alot of the cones have been hit.So there are black marks on the cones.Wax on the car, black marks don't transfer.

Thats TIP OF THE DAY!

Pro-touring cars we have so Far:
66 Fairlane Tyler
72 Nova John
69Cuda Tom
68 Road runner Dan
72 El Camino Jake
69 camaro ? Roy
another Camaro? G.
a 62? V.

P1 cars- 66 Vett ,Factory 5 Cobra.Lotus Elan

And Possible 150 other enteries.

soloracerSD
09-27-2012, 12:24 PM
Remember if you are running your car..You need to read what we have at SDR-SCCA.com/solo2/Faqs.It's a very good read,It prepares you for one of our events.

Also a must watch is Vimeo.com/12067348 It is documetary video made about autocross from our event.It was one of our racers film school projects.WE hope he got a "A".. because we love it.

Make sure your battery is secure.If it is inside the interior of the car. It must be in a Marine Battery container and bolted to the floor.Check fuel lines check that radiator hoses are secure.If the day goes smoothly and 6th run group finishes by 4pm.We might do laps for 2 dollars"Fun Runs"

Qualcomm Stadium requires us to keep sound under 93BDs 50ft from track.A DB meter is on the track at all times.DQed if your over and no more runs.Ask someone to listen to your car at our event. We may have a second meter to test.If your close sometimes all you need is a bent pipe pointed to opposit side of track then DB.Or a SUPERTRAP etc..

I'm running 1st group working 3rd So I'm busy in the morning.Pro-Touring AM-X are running 4th working6.Dan W with the 68 Blue Roadrunner.He will be available in the morning to help.He has raced at Qualcomm with us many times. So Look for his car in the morning.Scott Lewis is Event Chairmen of the event so he'll be busy here and there.

Some asked "Whats it like running 150 enteries.We can do 150 entries and finish 6 group by 3:30pm.Thats if we start on time 9am.No cars break or track.People show up to work their work groupETC.WE need close to 150 to just cover expenses.180 is the happy limit.When we have the SCCA SOLO2 National Tour our limit is 315.Also to get all the cars through we have 3 cars on the track at the same time 20 seconds apart.65 second laps 3 cars.If you catch a slower car you will be RED FLAGED.Slow then follow car to finish.You get to start that lap over.

See You at the track!

Bryce
09-27-2012, 02:38 PM
For those that have heard my falcon it was louder than 93 dB.

Also I will be out there around noon on sunday. I will support the PT crowd anyway I can.

soloracerSD
09-27-2012, 02:44 PM
Bryce your car was Louder then 93DBs? Did you have to make changes to get your runs in?We give one chance to make it quiet after exceeding 93dbs.

Dan in the 68 Roadrunner was fine in the last event.under 93DBs..If your close to limit a cloudy day can put you over..Sunny at 90 degrees expected

JakeR.
09-29-2012, 10:17 AM
I will be there in my el camino tomorrow, sounds like it should be a good time!
My dad will be there driving as well, hopefully in his Camaro if all goes right today.
hope to see you all there.

soloracerSD
09-29-2012, 07:38 PM
SCCA SDAD event.Flyer and schedule is already posted at SDR-SCCA.com/solo2 \

seancarole
09-29-2012, 08:20 PM
Great Job with the beast what suspension upgrades have yall made?

johnny68
09-30-2012, 05:37 PM
had a great time thanks for everyones help and advise
john

soloracerSD
10-01-2012, 09:29 AM
It was a great day of Pro Touring autocross at the San Diego SCCA SCAT Event.The drivers took their cars around the coures with impressive lap times.And threw some tight sections of course.It was funny a month or so ago a few SCCA members told me "People don't autocross those cars any more.They didn't know of the GG events or the website.It was new to me this year also. Dan W and Bryce informed me about it.At the next event I know of a few SCCA members that want rides in the Pro-Touring cars that ran with us.Even when the Pro Touring drivers were out working the course.I was hearing folks to the left and right of me chatting"It was good to see some Vintage American muscle cars running with us again"etc.."Where did they come from...:).

I hope to see the Pro Touring cars out again at our next event.The next event will be on the other side of the Stadium(East Lot).It won't have the hills and slope as sept 30 west lot.Lap times will be lower then..Sept 30 lap times. The sept 30 PT cars were doing between 73-76 second lap times. During Fun Runs they got down to 72 seconds.Dan W the competition is getting better...:)

Yes, If you Run You have to work.Course worker,Starter, Quick Note writer, ETC
That could take more then a hour.

DTM Racing
10-01-2012, 11:04 AM
It was definitely fun being out on the course with all of you! Bryce and I had a long talk last night during my drive home discussing the finer points of this class and the competition. Here are the topics we discussed in no particular order:
1) Social Media-
I created a Facebook "Group" for us so we can keep everyone in the loop with goings on, please friend me on Facebook so I can get you all added.

2) Group Representation-
We need to get a "President" of some sort so that we can have someone who can speak to guys like George and Scott and act in the best interests of the group.

3) A meeting to get all this done-
We feel that the evening before the next event (20 Oct, so dinner would be the night of the 19th) we should get together for dinner and discuss the rules before the next event, so people can plan for next year.

4) The Rules-
The proposed rules we've honed in on are....
-American made, American powered
-Factory frame rails and sub frames, no modifications, but additional pick-up points can be used.
-200 TW tires
-72 and older chassis. (If the chassis is "newer" but backwards compatible to the 72 model year, it's good!)
-No alteration of the factory firewall UNLESS it is done for aesthetics(smoothing okay, no recessing for engine set-back)
-4" "Speedbump" rule. We will get a piece of PVC pipe, and it needs to be able to roll from the front of the car to the front of the front tire, the back of the front tire to the front of the rear tire, and finally from the back of the rear tire out the back of the vehicle, completely unobstructed.

5) Club Affiliation-
We have been asked by TART (Triple Action Racing Team) to join their club. They are a no-frills kinda club; mostly the V8 RWD guys, and all they expect is for us to come to events and help set-up/tear down at their 3-4 events a year. While I feel this is in the best interest of the club, we will not make any affirmative motions until we are all meeting face to face at our meeting.

I'm sure I've left something out, and we can address that later. lets get this moving and get at least 10 cars to the next event! We actually ended up rating a class trophy since we brought out so many cars and the SDR guys were very impressed! Lets not let this ball slow down!

Dan

go-fish
10-01-2012, 11:34 AM
I was at the Coronado Speed Festival last week and watched the Vintage Trans-Am class run. This blew it away!

Working the course for Pro-touring cars, forced induction cars, and another class that involved a non-M BMW and a STI WRX was a ton of fun. I was at the end of the course where there was some good tail slide going on. I was most impressed with Jake in the red Elky. There were faster cars in the group but, honestly, I didn't know El Camino's could look that balanced around the course. Good driving. The last left turn of the course was extremely tight but all of the PT cars smoked the shorter wheel based Subaru.

The radio operator and the other guy in my work section were impressed. Radio guy was talking about trying to find a 1st gen Firebird to Pro-Tour. He was one of the Miata drivers.

soloracerSD
10-01-2012, 12:22 PM
I think the ground clearance ruled should be based on the frame rails.Headers dipp below them and so do some rear sway-bar links.Some of the cars that showed up sunday my be already conflicted by some of the suggestions.

First what you really need is steady cars coming.You can later divide in to PT1 and PT2.This happens often in the SCCA.Your on the right track ,Do your own club thing first.Find a formate that works.If you want the SDR SCCA to adopt a class you have to show you have a class for many months.There is always the other options Sticky tires in SM,SU,CP,BP,XP..... XP,BP.CP,FP=P1 is a four in one class using a pax handicap to equilize cars.All these classes ran with Pro-touring AM-X last sunday. I plan to keep you guys running when they do.

The Firewall rule is a good one.I'm not a PT driver but I know how the rules develop over time..It would be good if you guys had a SCCA SOLO 2 and SOLO 1 rule book in hand.You can see how it's been done before. I have a old 2004 I'll give to Bryce he lives 20 minutes from me.

Roy69RS
10-01-2012, 02:39 PM
Yesterday was a blast and want to thank George for the invite and showing us the ropes. I really enjoyed the course especially the hill section. It was fun to drive and made for good viewing. The course was more open then the Good Guys events and other PT events that have been put on for our cars. The regulars seem to enjoy having us there and it was fun to bench race with them and the other PT drivers. I'm sure we will do this again and hope to see more PT cars next time. The open session at the end was the best part and important if you want to see more PT cars in the future. I know track time to the PT crowd is something we are all looking for.

soloracerSD
10-01-2012, 03:03 PM
Check this out guys the pictures Hank took of the PT cars on grid..They are up now at our FACEBOOK Page.. The first one is so cool it makes me Laugh..The picture facing the grid with the Roadrunner next to the Toyota and Honda.What a contrast now and then.

Let Hank Know you liked the pictures.." Roy has the link in the next text"

And Roy the hills is why we are called the best autocross location sometimes ..It might have something to do with the beaches too.I'm glade you had a good time..

soloracerSD
10-01-2012, 04:40 PM
About creating build rules again.A suggestion I have is follow what I wrote at the beginning of this thread ,Include the engine location rule, ride height rule.Then plan for more cars.When you get the cars then use this as a format base the rules in SM, CP and XP.Except that ride height, fenders , working glass windows and working lights and to front seats,carpet and maybe factory dash pad required. PT1 PT2 can become SM CP XP once you go below 200 treadwear..maybe require that cars are 200lbs heavier then CP. Cp use to have a 16" max rim if you went from 10' wide to 12" you added 50lbs.

Read a current rule book and the one I have.It doesn't have XP, there use to be AP BP. They got combined and added wings..etc. small cars...it kind of put a end to Prepared Vetts.

Roy69RS
10-02-2012, 11:28 AM
George - See if this link works.
http://www.facebook.com/sandiegoautocross?ref=ts&fref=ts

Check this out guys the pictures Hank took of the PT cars on grid..They are up now at our FACEBOOK Page.. The first one is so cool it makes me Laugh..The picture facing the grid with the Roadrunner next to the Toyota and Honda.What a contrast now and then.

Let Hank Know you liked the pictures.. I have some pics of you guys on the track..send me a pivate message with email add and I'll send them..I don't know to do it any other way..you can post them here then

The face book "San Diego SCCA Autocross"

And Roy the hills is why we are called the best autocross location sometimes ..It might have something to do with the beaches too.I'm glade you had a good time..

alcino
10-02-2012, 02:33 PM
I have been thinking about getting back into car events after a long hiatus and stumbled onto this thread. 8-9 years ago I was usually the only vintage domestic out at the Q. Glad to hear PTers being represented. Reading all your posts here have gotten me pumped to make it out to one of the next dates to re-hone my skills.

Technically I don't fit the PT(AMx) class (1976 mustang, 100 wear tires). I can eventually fix the tires but not the year. Hope you guys don't mind an almost Pro-touring car joining the party.

Tomswheels
10-02-2012, 07:59 PM
Had a great time on Sunday, thanks to George and Dan for all the help getting the pro-touring cars going. I drove arguably the least modified car there on Sunday (Sway bars, disc brakes and subframe connectors) but one of the things that attracts me to race the Barracuda is LESS Class RESTRICTIONS not more. I think the more people that are able to get out and race their classics the better. I'd go 1978 and earlier 200 treadware and 3200+ lbs as the only restrictions and let everybody come out and race for fun.

soloracerSD
10-02-2012, 10:38 PM
The 78 thing might be good 3200 lbs is a good baseline for many early muscle cars..Some cars are below that now.You can always lighten a little and put wieght where you want it.Keeping the weight up also keeps some of the comfort stuff in the car.I know that somePT guys are cutting into the firewall and moving the engine back.Not any from our event.That would be to much.Stock location!

Tom you have stock springs?I'm more impressed with your laptime.

soloracerSD
10-02-2012, 10:47 PM
Bring it down anyway you can enter it in SM..You will still be on the track the same times as PT .That would be 3rd run group next event.Good to be there at 7:30 your first event.We are running in the morning next time.That means only chance to walk the track and register and tech in is before 8:45

Tomswheels
10-03-2012, 05:47 AM
Stock leaf springs, stock torsion bars, 73 Plymouth Scamp front discs and 87 Licoln Mark VII rear disc. I really felt uncomfortable driving that course for the first four laps, and the car doesnt respond well at all to "overdriving". When I settled down about on lap 6 and ran a 74 second lap it was more representitive of what the car can do.

soloracerSD
10-03-2012, 07:25 AM
I felt Like I was overdriving every lap.That track tested my patience.You couldn't get a rethem going.Tight turns scatted around the track and a few tough off camber ones.I think what made it fun to watch the Pro T cars run was you guys had torque.Hard braking then lauching out of the turns.My 82 RX-7 has now 150hp and maybe 60lbs of torgue..I need rethem or I'm kussing and swaring....LOL

Scott and I thought the tight turns would disappoint you guys.You lay out a track and sometimes it turns out much tighter then expected.You guys said "This is open for us".We were like "really"!?.WOW What till they drive one of our fast tracks...LOL

Hank
10-03-2012, 12:45 PM
Hey guys,
I met quite a few of you guys at the event on the Sept 30. I'm the guy who was taking pictures on behalf of SCCA Autocross. It's great to see such a positive response from the guys who went! We hope the rest of you join!

With autocross and many such motorsports, there's a lot of talk that isn't followed by much walk. The fact that you guys showed up 8 or so strong does a lot for your credibility in our region. We get novices that come and go, and as the PR Manager (You may have also met Rae, who's the PR rep) and Secretary of the Solo Board, I hear lots of excuses. So great job to you guys for showing up!

Regarding your debut event. George is right. This event was TIGHT. And VERY difficult/technical. If you thought this was wide and fun, you haven't seen anything yet! Honestly Scott of SCAT designed this course in response to the fact that we were letting our speed creep up TOO much. That's why despite so much space being taken up by the Chargers tent, we still had a 70+ second course. Anyway, keep coming out and you won't be disappointed. I like this course because it taught proper technique and patience, but it wasn't "fun" in the slide sideways kinda of way. You slide on that course, and you'll be playing catch up the rest of the way!

As far as classes go, I will do my best to be an advocate for getting a class added NEXT year (2013). It's not easy since November next year and they need a month to vote, so don't hold your breath. I'd need a well thought-out proposal before the next meeting, November 5. Earlier would be better and I can disperse to the board. I'm the secretary and can likely get the proposal brought to the table by SCNAX (my club). They might not be happy about voting on something in December, but it doesn't hurt to try and if it harms nobody, it may just pass because we ALL have been talking about wanting participation numbers to go up for the past months. That's why the PR job was created in the first place.

I think two classes is preferable if you have at least 8-10 REGULARS, but one class may be easier while things are in infancy. For the board, we think, if we add classes, that also means we add jackets and trophies. We don't want dilution or redundancies.

Speaking of SCNAX, if you want a no-frills club, SCNAX is definitely that. We are the largest club, meaning you have a large resource of guys to talk to and work gets spread around when we host an event. Our agenda (and how we vote) is more swayed toward making this sport as affordable and sustainable as possible. Some other clubs are more geared toward making some profit, which often means it helps the club (and its social events) but less so the larger community. Some say we're socialist because we want to make this work (i.e. be affordable) for everyone and keep people coming, and some say they're capitalist pigs. Neither is entirely true IMO. It's true though, TART has a bit of an older demographic with higher HP vehicles. There's a lot more to a club than its cars though...and first place in the musclecar class (F Stock) is DCCSD. More importantly though, the two guys (George and myself) who bothered to create accounts in a forum where they've been autocrossing imports are actually not TART, DCCSD, SCAT or SDAD...but SCNAX.

This all being said and my dumb club allegiance aside, I actually think it wouldn't be bad to join TART or some other club because they could use the manpower. Since I'm of the "socialist" mind that wants to sustain this sport as I know it (and as I can afford it!) I don't mind spreading membership around.

LMK what you guys think and sorry for the gigantic first post! Super thanks to Bryce and George for helping making this happen.

JakeR.
10-03-2012, 02:54 PM
I too had a great time this weekend. The course layout as my dad previously posted was terrific especially with the incorporation of the camber provided by the hill. Probably the most fun autocross course I have driven to date and if this is what George and the other regulars think is a "tight" course I can't wait to see an open one. It is definitely the perfect place to become a great driver.
Now that I am living down in San Diego I will definitely be back at these SCCA events and hope to see more and more pro-touring cars there to add to the great group we had this weekend, nice meeting you all and thanks for the compliment Johnny your car looked super mean out there and I can't wait to see it on the course!

Hank
10-03-2012, 05:13 PM
The SE lot actually DOES have a hill (on the street side) and the last few events we've used it iirc. Despite it being smaller, we've managed to still have lengthy courses (60+ seconds).

Hope you guys got a chance to check out the facebook page. Sorry I didn't get more action shots...no telephoto lens :(

soloracerSD
10-03-2012, 08:10 PM
Thanks For Coming on Hank..:) I to have been meaning to meantion the East Side lot does have a hill.It's more like the lower half of the West Lot.Thats where we autocrossed sept30.Smaller hill and dip...NOT FLAT! You watch from a slope above it.Some told me they like that lot better.Another fun day of autocross guarnteed...:) The last course was mostly 70ish.Long tracks are fun.60 second tracks are just as fun.Your work groups could be less lenghty to..But no promises on that...:)

Hank
10-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Posted up a few pictures from George of the event on facebook. None of you guys have more?

Meanwhile, outside of George himself, haven't heard much about class and class rules. No biggie since the board won't be jonesing to add classes but don't be afraid to take the bull by the horns either. It's YOUR class. lmk

DTM Racing
10-07-2012, 01:50 PM
I'm out of town until the 15th. Once I get back I'll be more active. I'm still pushing for a dinner Friday the 19th so we can discuss details in an open forum.

soloracerSD
10-07-2012, 07:14 PM
Results are now posted at sdr-scca.com/solo2

DW I didn't know you were in the 72s..you will notice some novices were DNFing
and some didn't work Shame shame..lol .Oh look up SM class.I think some PT cars might of been able to win that class last event. ESP even had some matching lap times to Pro-touring sept 30 Also Richard could of ran his Mustang in SM and done very well even ESP..SU is a class you want to avoid..I was busy at rhe time and couldn't clear that up.Yes SM ran at sametime as PT AM-X

Hank have you heard of lateapexphoto.com..? You can find event photos there of past events.There is a pic of Bryce's Falcon from the event he ran in. Was that the first one of the year Bryce.?I don't know if there will be any of sept 30.

As far as classes go .To me it's good if all pro tourings just run as a group.If they all truely want a class.Creating a class could take some time.When cars have lots of mods .It gets more complicated.HP to weight.Leafspring,fourlink.irs Subframes bolt ons .normally aspirated or forced.It will be the most complicated Regional class.Thats one reason the region would be happy to see it as a private club governing themselves.To avoid the headache of writing supplemental rules and policing them. I think an event host would give a trophy if 5 plus cars ran as Pro -touring....Thats something to think about.
Am I speaking for SDR-SCCA? not 100%.Just from my knownledge of build rules and how one can argue over them.SDR-SCCA wants all the Pro-Touring cars it can get running with us..Thats a 100%!

soloracerSD
10-09-2012, 09:32 AM
Our next event is less then 2 weeks away.On a Saturday!, which might be difficult for some to make.With Bryce working the hours he is. I dought we will see the Falcon on saturday.I'm crossing my fingers.I hope that the Pro-Touring cars that made our last event make it.I know of another Nova II convertible and 68 Camaro that might be joining us also.They have raced with us in the past.Next week I'll list the cars that will make it.

PTs will be running in 3rd run group working 1st.That means getting there early.7:30 register &walk the course multipule times.You don't want to DNF.You can tech your car after you work 1st run group or before.
Also you can buy an additional 4 laps for 3rd run group(8 laps total).You will have to work 1st&2nd then.After 3rd run group your day is done.Or you can stay for "Fun Runs" runs 3 hours later or buy another 4 laps for 30.00 run 5th group work 4th.and be done by 2pm maybe 3pm.WE don't go by the clock on competition days and we don't know how big the groups will be.
If these options are confusing? read the flyer at sdr-scca.com/solo2 then call me Also if you pay to run 12 laps(4+4+4) you may only have to work 2 groups.MAYBE?

Also has far as classes go SM might be a good match for most pro touring cars.4 seat cars rear seat removed stock suspension mounts but build your own suspension.No added or changing of subframe or bolt in IRS.Working lights.Down side! Large wings ,splitters V8s can run as low as 2700 LB like CP but on Dot race tires not racing slicks.XP allows subframe changes" I THINK" No cars currently running in SM in SD.OK a Civic..There is a SMF Front wheel drive Street MOD class the H CIVIC is in the wrong class.Sometimes we do have some fast Subaru STIs and EVOs in SM.The last EVO put a High HP motor in it and shattered the transfer case in the first 20ft of his run.

Work groups can be from 45 minutes to 1.5 hrs plus you never know on competition days

Never a guarntee of "FUN RUNS" at end of day

You can let me know here if your going to make it.Now..I'll start the list of car models next weekend

I have 2 maybe 4 so far AND WE CAN USE "PT" on the signup card and on the car as a Club/Class.

soloracerSD
10-10-2012, 08:58 AM
Sense I'm so much into details .I'll explain our P1-XP,BP,CP,FP combine Pax Index handi-Cap formula.If you have a car fitting CP this how it works.I'll use DW's Roadrunner as an example.

Last event sept 30

XP" Lotus laptime 64.076 X pax index 0.898=57.540

XP"F5Cobra " 70.745 X pax index 0.898=63.529

CP 68 Roadrunner " 72.696 X 0.86 =62.51 now 2nd place

BP.873
FP.875

P1-XP,BP,CP,FP cars were on racing slicks, roadrunner on 200 treadwear,P1 is a any treadwear class and the Cobra did break after first run.

go-fish
10-10-2012, 04:17 PM
I am having to spend some money on my daily driver but I think I can make it. Won't be able to buy my e-brake cable. Is that neded to pass tech? I got my seat belts.

DTM Racing
10-10-2012, 04:20 PM
I am having to spend some money on my daily driver but I think I can make it. Won't be able to buy my e-brake cable. Is that neded to pass tech? I got my seat belts.

I don't even have an E-brake, lol.

soloracerSD
10-10-2012, 05:18 PM
I think you should have one.Wiping a quick 180 side ways works though but not the best alturnitive.I blow out a brake mastercylnder once right at the finish.It was good to have one..Now the safety tech guys are listening.. Quite everyone.

JakeR.
10-10-2012, 11:11 PM
I will be there and am definitely looking forward to another great event! Hope to see more of you guys out there, I know there's more of us orange county/L.A. area folks willing to drive the measly hour and a half for some driving fun.

My dad has an engagement with our motorcycle racing club so he will not be able to make this one, however count us both in for SCCA memberships George as we both plan on doing a lot of these!
Hope to see you all out there.

soloracerSD
10-11-2012, 09:31 PM
Alright Jake it will be good to have you. At first I thought your text read "You both couldn't make it".Well if you have friends that want to run with us bring them down.If their car meets our PT spec.we have a group for them.We can use "PT" as a class title now.Any car is welcome in the SCCA solo2.We have a class for it.

soloracerSD
10-14-2012, 07:03 AM
Car Count in PT (PRO TOURING) so far For the Oct 20 event.7:30 am work 9am 1st group& run 3rd group
THE SCCA SDAD EVENT CHAIRMAN ROBBIE R ,"THERE WILL BE A TROPHY IF WE HAVE 5 CARS IN PT"

68 Roadrunner Dan Cancel Blown motor at Button Willow
62 Dart Lady Cancel
70 Cuda? Johnny
69 RS Camaro Jake
1st gen Camaro or Nova II Rick
69 Cuda Tom

Mustang II Running SM on 100 treadwear Alcino
Mustang Convertible SM maybe ESP Richard
? = maybe,,I'll be updating this list

BP 66 vett, XP F5cobra,XP lotus in P1
And 150 other entries in different classes

It's like a dance floor !The more that enter the more join in the fun!

Any more interest in PT out there?
LAST EVENT Dan's best time was a low 72 sec ,Jake matched that time with 2 more laps in FUN RUNS.Can he beat him in 4laps.Rick has raced the Q as often as Dan.Could he be a contender?

IF YOU ARE NEW AT THIS CALL ME.If YOU HAVE A QUESTION CALL ME 619 275 4845 George

JakeR.
10-14-2012, 07:35 PM
To add to the fun it looks like my dad will be entrusting me with his '69 camaro this weekend. I love driving it and broke into the 72.2 range last time so I am extra excited for this event!
see you all out there

soloracerSD
10-15-2012, 11:17 AM
Jake..A guy asked me if he could get a ride in the White RS Camaro Last event.So if your around for Fun Runs or doing X runs. I'm sure he will be looking for you.

V8240Z
10-15-2012, 07:57 PM
My car is still not done, but I will come and work the work group. I know there was some discussion of getting together Friday night to formulate rules for the class etc.... any update on that? If we are going to formulate rules perhaps we should mirror the new run groups for the So-Cal Challenge series.

soloracerSD
10-15-2012, 08:28 PM
I read that So-Cal Challenge had plans for that.I'm curious to see what they have ..As for SDR -SCCA.we follow what is in the SCCA SOLOII &SOLOI rule book.And we have added some to that .42 classes..WE do now have a PT available to us to use as our class.PT-X for Xruns.Basicly 74 and older or same platform as a74 but newer.American made V8 4 seater.rear seat can be removed,Stock frame and mounts any bolt on pieces including 3& 4 link etc.Aftermaket subframes &IRS allowed now but maybe later with weight pentalty of 200lbs.A 4" ground clearance front to back excluding exhaust and suspension pieces.Working glass windows and lights.5" spoilers front and rear.Interior B-Pilar forward.Door panels,carpet, dash pad.It's to be a super street car!We may divide cars into 3 weight groups running in same class.Being based on big power engined cars will carry more weight and allowed wider wheels.

.5 liter V8 non turboed cars weight 2850 to 3000 and use 8" maybe 9" wheels.(CP is 2700lbs) (SM is 2800lbs and if you use 275 wide tires or smaller 200lbs is dropped)

350cbin" non turbo 3100 to 3400 10 inch wide wheel

Forced induction 350cb"or big block non turbo at 3500LBSplus on maybe 12"wide wheels.

We could base wheel width on the front ones and allow a 1"increase in the rear
Brakes are unrestricted but no Carbon on Carbon..ALL ON 200 TREADWEAR All CARS IN SAME CLASS
The lighter car should stop faster. Big power cars should come out of the turn faster.For autocross this might work.With no back seat, weight can be added there, Bolted down, even a box.The cheapest weight group would be 2850 to 3000
Also for all classes adding Forced Induction. The SCCA allowes any size turbo but only one.A restricter must be used.52mm half inch deep with in 4" inches of inlet.

Cars not meeting these terms can run in SM,CP,XP at same time as PT

I run a Mazda Rotary..:)This is my best shot at being neutral and writing a class equalizing vintage muscle cars.Even the big power cars can keep their back seat and add boom boxes.

.The SCCA already has FS STU ESP SM SU CP XP fitting V8 4seater cars and I left some out.I bet our ESP is much like SO-Cal's Stock Modified.
Something else to look into is How the SCCA Formulas SM now.RWD1800lbs +(200lbs X liters)=car weight
a turbo formula is 1.4+ liters. PT cars should be slightly heavier like (260 x liters)

If I knew their formula WE could make something work.I was looking at the thread today and videos on youtube of El Toro.It was an amazing event,a lot of space!Ah if Grand AM and American Le Mans can,so can we..,,:)

soloracerSD
10-15-2012, 08:42 PM
DTW Dan wants the Friday meeting.I'm thinking having to be at the stadium at around 7:30 am.I know guys want to check on their cars friday night.Maybe best to discuss it at the stadium.PT works first group 9am and run 3rd group around 10:45am.Plenty of time after that.We also have two more events after Oct 20.

I sent a discription of what I was thinking to Dan.Dan approved of it.That doesn't make it final.

Making PT cars work all in one class is complicated at first.Remember SCCA already has 6 similar classes Just a few years ago SCCA's SM class had 9 different weight groups for one class.

Come to the Event.As a note you have to be a member to work on the course.But who knows
I choose to prepare for event friday night.Meeting is up to who wants to.

Mr V8240z bring what ever car you have and run it.If you have a 240z with V8 that would be SU(street unlimited) and run at same time as PT or you can run in EM (E-Mod) we even have racing GO-KARTS

alcino
10-17-2012, 12:33 PM
Can we make the tread wear 180? That opens up the tire options immensely for me probably for other as well. Other than that the less rules the better. Then again I don't really care, just out to have fun.

soloracerSD
10-17-2012, 03:24 PM
It stays 200 tread wear.This is why.Good Guys has gotten alot of people interested in Autocross.They all prepare for 200 treadwear.RobNot Limits is going to start up So Cal Challenge also 200 treadwear.The SCCA already has 140 treadwear classes for suspension mod stock engine cars.If I say 180 and then folks show up with160.I let them run.Then I'll get "Why didn't you just stay with 140"...lol

Also one of the things that makes PT interesting and exceptable for SDR SCCA is that.60s and early 70s cars have terrible brakes.To upgrade the brakes beyond a stock option puts you in SM orCP "No ESP".Some of the engine swaps would to.So that is why Pro Touring "PT" is a Vintage Muscle car class including modern mods in San Diego SCCA..WE give credit to Good Guys for this interest.& Pro-Touring.com

I think all we need in the way of rules is what I wrote at the beginning of this tread and in the beginning of the last rules package I wrote.The weight break down is to be something to think about.It's good to know what might be coming if your building a car.Some that want to compet and spent 2 weekends a month driving. Want to know what to or not to do on their racer.The others just want to do laps with the same kind of cars.Thats where I'm at.But, Believe me if someone is winning in a light 5 liter car.Then some one drops a supercharged V8 in their light car and wide tires.It becomes a spending contest..Plus I'm tring to prevent cars from just being a CP or XP cars on 200 treadwear.but be a good transfer to CP or XP

I'd rather bring it up now then later,thats all.Are you going to make it Saturday Alcino

alcino
10-17-2012, 03:48 PM
I got everything lined up to make it this Saturday and am excited. First autoX in 7 years!

Do you guys take credit cards or is it still a check/cash deal?

Thanks for the explanation on the rules. Makes sense and a line has to be drawn somewhere. No biggie. I guess if I want a prize I'll conform.

soloracerSD
10-17-2012, 04:22 PM
Cash is king.Checks are taken to.No credit. I'm glade your coming,we are going to have a good turn out,

We are running on the south east lot.Not the big hill everyone loves.We will have some hill.

Something funny about classes ,We have a classes called Street Unlimited SU.Mostly to me it's for people in registration that don't have time to read the rule book.When someone comes and says I've done this and that, then this to their car.Registration doesn't have time to figure the details out.So, you get put into SU.Whats there is a MX5 Miata.Supercharged with100% Carbin Fiber doors and big flat splitter,rear wing and spoiler.The back bottom of it is cut out to fit different defusers.The hole front end clips on.tires are 285 on 18s and it's supercharged..Very very fast..It's In A Street Car Class...lol You haven't been in 7 years so we have a few different cars .It's great to see more Muscle cars showing up to.

DTM Racing
10-17-2012, 08:51 PM
Seems like we've got it pretty fleshed out, I like the 7:30 meeting on Saturday morning. We can use my truck and the Road Runner as the rally point again so we can all find each other easily, I'll get there about 7ish.

soloracerSD
10-18-2012, 12:02 PM
Okay a little update or reminder of this saturday.Oct 20

We are running on the South East Lot. so enter Stadium and turn left.The West Lot where we raced Sept 30 is having the San Diego Porsche Club autocross.On sunday in the lot we are using.The San Diego Karting Club will be using.So Qualcomm is a race track to a lot of us.

In competition classes there are rules different then Xs which is what we used before AM-X.We used it as competition though.Anyway there is no riding or driving in a run group before 3rd group PT's run group.There are no passengers allowed.These are competition rules.The only passengers allowed in Trophy run classes are instructors.If you have one they will put a BRIGHT YELLOW "INSTRUCTOR" magnetic sign on your car.This is so no one will tell you to remove your passenger.There is also no changing of driver in PT.5 cars running as PT are needed to qualify for trophy.

Walk the track as many times as you can.Saturday morning early is the only chance you get before PT runs. Doing a Novice walk is still a good idea.7:30 is a good time to be there.There will be a drivers meeting that will take up some time too..

To add: Photographer Larry H. from lateapexphoto.com will be taking pics of the autocrossing events

DTM Racing
10-19-2012, 03:54 PM
Hey guys, sorry to say I won't make it. One of my connecting rods decided it didn't want to be in the motor anymore while I was testing at Buttonwillow yesterday. Pretty cool. I'll link some pictures later! Have fun tomorrow and speed safe!

soloracerSD
10-19-2012, 04:03 PM
To add to class discussion.The more that we can relate to what is used in SCCA rule book the better.The Formula used now for engines vs weight in SM is.A RWD car starts at 1800lbs+(200 x liters)=weight of car
turboed cars add1.4 to Liters.Cars using 275 or less in tire width drop 200lbs.A 5 liter car would be
2800-200=2600 if on 275s

WE twick 200 to 260
1800lbs+(260 x liters)=weight of car

2800+(260 x 5)=3100-200=2900 5liter on 275s Bryce and Alcinos Mustangs

2800+(260 x6.2)=3412lbs Dan's Roadrunner

2800+(260X(5+1.4)=3464lbs this is with 5 liter turbo , 52mm restrictor maybe SCCA requiered
I heard turbos aren't restricted in SM

This closely matches what I predicted earlier, but in SM no car has to weigh over 3100.We don't have a cut off,well maybe 3500.It will help keep the Chevelles and Roadrunners ,El Caminos.and pickups in the game.

In SCCA classes "CP" 5.Liters are 2700lbs in SM 2800lbs to 2600lbs in PT 3100lbs to 2900lbs.
In CP over 5.1 is 3000lbs minimum no less

SCCA SM AWD 1800lbs +(300lb x (liters +1.4 for turbo)=car weight, A 2006 Mitsu EVO is 2820lbs........ On 275s you drop 200lbs=2620lb Go to our FACEBOOK and see the ORANGE One that races with us.
How about a BMW M3?..Ouch!

soloracerSD
10-20-2012, 06:42 PM
Good event! But I found out bad news about future events on the WEST LOT.The big lot on the sloping hill everyone likes.The Stadium has least it out for every weekend next year.It will be "OPEN AIR MARKET".I got the word when we were doing FUN RUNS.Are we going to get to use that lot at all next year? I don't know..I saw a map that showed lower half for Market parking.
We have 2 more events this year.On the WEST LOT..So Enjoy it now. I was stunned!

Check SDR-SCCA.com/solo2 for scheduling.Nov 18,Dec 9th look for SM class

If your looking for more Active Car Events in San Diego? Try

sdclubracing.com They run 2 SDR- SCCA autocross events as a group, then 2 drag racing events,then 2 gymkhona.You pay in and get cash in your hand at end of year.They are taking signups now.They have a hard tire rule.Justin is the MC

DTM Racing
10-21-2012, 05:42 AM
Oh man, that's no good.

alcino
10-21-2012, 10:17 PM
Had a great time getting back to the cones. Nice meeting everyone and the course was really cool for an east lot. Will try to make the last events of the year so I can experience the west lot too before it maybe gone. Lol.

79-TA
10-22-2012, 01:53 AM
Are the weights given above with or without the driver?

Just for reference, here's how my Trans Am and Mustang would fit into your formula. (Make sure you use 1800, not 2800lbs!)

1800+(6.6*260)-200=3316

With half a tank of gas and no driver, the Trans Am weighs 3470

1800+(5*260)-200=2900

With half a tank of gas, no driver and no tire kit, the Mustang weighs 3150

soloracerSD
10-22-2012, 08:10 AM
Yes thats correct Brett 3470 -3316=154 thats the weight you can drop.Weights are without driver,in F1 it is with driver.Fuel can be Ballast.Cars can be weight after last lap before parked.Not something we need to do every event.It's more of a issue with less then and 5 liter cars.This formula will keep people from stripping down their cars for weight.Cars like Fairlanes, El Caminos,Chevelles,Roadrunners will have to if they want to take advantage of it.Taking weight out is a option you don't have to.It's the best compromize I can think of to keep bigger cars competitive.Half the cars that have run with us have been the big cars.

Also I was thinking of having PT cars run in SM(STREET MODIFIED) for rest of year.Rules are similer to our PT.(Whats Different? SM Cars are RWD&AWD and 4 seater any year,Big wings and splitters and lighter on 40 treadwear DOT race tires) So I can see who is interested in doing PT.Only 2 cars showed that planned to run PT last event.And 2 others having cars to run PT but didn't meet spec so they all ran SM.We can put PT on the shelf until I see a regular turnout that agree on BUILD RULES.I've been picking the run group that SM runs for a reason.Some PT cars can stay in SM some in PT even CP and run at sametime.But separate trophy.There is even SU if you dare..:)

It was a saturday and it looked like rain was coming.It was a low turn out overall for SDR SCCA. It made for Plenty of "Fun Runs!".Richard probably did more then 13 laps for the 45.00(30+5+5+5) he spent as a SCCA member.

LAPS were 3 for 5.00 at end of day"FUN RUNS". Richard worked that Mustang over! WOW!The smell of brake pads..:)And he bettered Alcino's winning laptime,BTW go to FACEBOOK San Diego SCCA AUTOCROSS to see some pics

Congrats to Alcino for winning SM class!.I think by 1.5 of a second

He will be getting a Trophy.If you run in a Official SCCA class you get a trophy if 3 cars run in a class but it takes I think 6 to get a 2nd place trophy.Group/Club Class like PT, because it isn't an official class ,you get a trophy only if there are 5 in class.And that is if the event host club wants to.Incentive to get more cars involved to make it worth the effort.

soloracerSD
11-01-2012, 12:21 PM
Check out this video "SPEEDWAY Motors 2012 SCCA SOLO2 National Championship Music Video" on youtube.com if you pause it you will see SM,XP many CP class cars and some familiar faces from Good Guy events.

.Soon picks of Oct 20 event will be posted at lateapexphoto.com

UPDATE Results are now up at sdr-scca.com/solo2 It shows the low turn out of 119 entries.Thats why there was alot of "Fun Run" time it's your choice X Runs early or "Fun Runs " later

soloracerSD
11-01-2012, 12:28 PM
OKAY! It's little more then 2 weeks from next SDR SCCA SOLO2 autocross.NOV.18
The Pro-Touring,SM, P1=(XP,BP,CP,FP) and SU cars will be running in 4th group working 6th.YES! just like the Sept30 event and on same lot.

If I get enough PT cars responding to this text.that have a 74 or older or 74 and newer using same platform as 74 .That are 4 seat V8 Americam made cars.That have working glass windows and all working traffic lights, plus interior ,rear seat optional.Any Engine and turbo And brakes are unrestricted.Frame MODs OPEN but resembling a stock frame.Only a six point mounted interior cage allowed and a bolt in support frame in engine compartment allowed both optional. (NOT TUBE FRAME Bumper to Bumper and passing through fire wall etc...That would put you in SU, CP or XP).ALL on 200 TREADWEAR. I'll then orginize a class for that sunday

I know we have a few planning to run in SM so if you have tires softer then 200TW run SM , I know some want PT which could be labeled as AM-X.It's still early and I'll bring up PT to the hosting SCCA SCNAX club chairmen Warren, When I get enough response.Your other class choices are SM,XP,BP,CP and SU all running at same time as PT.Then FS ESP and STU run 6th and work 5th.So a lot of classes to pick from. Any Questions?

There will be 150 plus entries running other classes then these I listed.

BTW Good Guys Autocross event is a week after this one.Running your car hard for 4 laps plus would be a good test for it.Also next year we won't have full use of this large lot with it's sloping hill.Autocrossers have travelled hundreds of miles just to do 6 laps here.FACTED! the SCCA Solo 2 National Tour

Time to let me know your interested Muscle Car Autocrossers!. So that there is a PT class, or you have 7 other classes to choose from

MARK G with the 66 Chevelle that ran with us Oct 20! you out there?
We also have a Class for that C-10 Hell Boy or it's brother.SU "Street Unlimited" for a No Limits Machine...:) ON DOT tires

Any make and year of car are invited to run in the SCCA Solo 2 autocross events

Tomswheels
11-01-2012, 07:22 PM
George, the Barracuda will be there, as should Rich's 69 Mustang.

Bryce
11-04-2012, 11:36 AM
I will be there without my car. I am still waiting on parts. I will bring my daughter with me get her trained early.

DTM Racing
11-04-2012, 12:08 PM
Good Guys Scottsdale that weekend. If I do anything, it'll be that.

soloracerSD
11-04-2012, 01:27 PM
Bryce Glade your coming..Is the white Mustang yours to drive?..What about John and his Nova.

It would be nice to see if Mark comes out with his 66 Chevelle.I told him to join us here but haven't heard from him.

Oh DAN what about Dec 9th? thats our last event of the year.

DTM Racing
11-04-2012, 02:39 PM
I'll have to see how the budget looks.

soloracerSD
11-04-2012, 08:17 PM
Pictures of the Oct 20 event are now up at Lateapexphoto.com Some close ups of Tom and the Cuda. a couple of the 66 Chevelle,66 Vett BP,,F5Cobra.Alcinos Mustang Cobra..And Richard's Mustang is killing a cone in one pic...Plus 100 other cars.You can spot the race class of cars by looking for it on the door. Like I wrote earlier it was a low turn out 119 total.

.You can order coffee cups with photos to.

V8240Z
11-06-2012, 05:29 AM
Well, even with the thrashing to finish my car it is not quite done. I will be planning on the December 9th event. It was a pleasure getting to meet Tom, Rich, and Mark at the last event.

QuarterD25
11-06-2012, 05:46 AM
I should be out there with the fairlane this weekend. What time do we need to be out there?

alcino
11-06-2012, 05:11 PM
The pics were cool George. Thanks for the link. Its funny to see all the body roll my car has. I think I need to reduce that. I can't make the November date since I got plans for the afternoon. probably could had done it if it was a morning deal like October. December looks good so far.

soloracerSD
11-06-2012, 05:39 PM
Fairlane This must be Tylor..be there before 10:30am And it isn''t this weekend it's next Nov 18

Glade your coming..

I will see you guys next time Alcino and V8 240z..

Alcino did you check out craigslist I saw ford 5 lug 17s with 200tw on them, there Used and cheap 2 sets maybe not as wide as you want though

Okay, cars from Pro-Touring wanting To run SDR SCCA Autocross at Qualcomm stadium WEST LOT Nov 18 so far

69 Cuda
69 Mustang
66 fairlane
66 chevelle ? pretty sure it's a yes

In P1=XP,BP,CP,FP....BP 66 VET ,XP 65 F5Cobra ,XP Lotus

Plus 150 others in different classes

run SM "SREET MODIFIED Thats the plan for any Pro Touring Cars that want to run at same time.
2 people can enter the same car( 2 separate entries in same class same one car)

soloracerSD
11-10-2012, 08:35 PM
Yes Alcino it does roll over in the turns a bit.. Thats not a bad thing though.. If your running on old tires that are lacking grip.You want some roll..My car is set up for 40 treadwear DOT race tires."stiff". When I try 200 treadwear I'm countersteering in the middle of every turn.It's a busy lap with alot of 4 wheel drift.

I just ordered some NItto NTO1 100 treadwear .First set of new race tire for me in 5 to 6 years.I have a set of 225/45-15s 888 toyos you can have.3 years old still plenty of tread.Grip is getting low so Formula V them or Hot Lap

Any one out there thinking of Autocrossing with us at Qualcomm? write me here and let me know..I have 4 Pro-Touring guys lined up for Nov 18 plus the other 150.Regular SCCA members.

The" 2013 schedule" will be out soon.Expect 10 days of autocross in the first 6 months.including 45.00 10 plus lap practice days.

soloracerSD
11-14-2012, 06:09 PM
When you come to our Nov 18 event SM Street Modified will be the class most 4 seat sedan PT cars will be running. Thats 4th run group work 6th.Show up before 10:30.Register tech and walk the course as many times as you can.It's that simple...30.00 for members and 20 more for none members.

You get 4 laps for that 30. You get 3 laps for 5.00 at end of day."FUN RUNS" No promise of having time for "Fun Runs" with the days getting shorter chances get less.

Next event Dec 9 ...2013 schedule will be out soon.Expect 10 days of autocross in first 6 months.

PRO-66
11-15-2012, 11:34 AM
I will be there on the 18th with the 66!!! Mark

V8240Z
11-15-2012, 12:08 PM
Hey Mark, welcome aboard. Start a build thread and show that pretty 66 off!

Charles

soloracerSD
11-16-2012, 04:53 PM
Glade your making it Mark.We will have a 66 Chevelle and 66 Fairelane.A 69 Cuda and 69 Mustang.I hope we get some unexpected other cars joining us to. and sign up as SM .,Street Modis a SCCA class open to any 4 seat.Rear seat can be removed ,stock frame open suspension rules, large wings and splitters allowed class.big brakes any motor as long as it has same manufactor as car.,Not what I truly would call a Vintage Pro touring class.Big wings and splitters don't belong on PTs.At our last event only PT cars ran in SM. So you never know.Has to be a streetable car with working lights and windows.All these mods are optional.

Charles when will that car of your's be ready.I can think of 4 guys .saying their car will be ready next event , next event ,next event...LOL Richard didn't have his car ready so he has raced a backup each event..He plans to have the 69 mustang running with us this weekend..I look forward to seeing it.

BTW I'm recording all the F1 going on in Austin Texas.

Tomswheels
11-16-2012, 06:55 PM
George, can u run two cars in one class same driver? In other words can I bring my 69 Cuda AND my 86 Saleen? If not in the same class two different classes? Thanks, Tom

soloracerSD
11-16-2012, 07:10 PM
NO not quite like that.What I meant was,2 drivers can share a car .You both can enter the same class with the same car. But 2 separte sign up cards.Just the same car... Also You could enter your Cuda to race in a class. Then buy an additional 4 laps "Xruns" and use you Saleen Mustang..both cars have to be teched. Your competition laps are always your first 4.

To run both of your cars you would also have to work 2 run groups...Like get there early ask to work before lunch. also sign up to run 4th group for SM.and sign up to run 5th group for Xruns then work 6th. SM runs 4th and works 6th

If that is confusing call me.

soloracerSD
11-16-2012, 07:18 PM
In a way I can answer your question as yes. Your first 4 laps are in a class.. your second set of 4 is just for lap time.. We call those Xruns..and you can use a different car, both teched.. Ok I explained it 2 different ways ... LOL You work 2 groups.

You have to ask to work early because 5th run group works 4th.Thats when SM runs..So that is why you have ask to work 1,2,0r3.

soloracerSD
11-19-2012, 09:05 AM
It was another fun event.I think we had probably 150 plus enteries.5 of them from Pro-Touring.com I would say it was a great track layout.I know that some cars were using 3rd gear in some areas including me.We had some nice use of the hill side parking lot too.Some nicely banked tight turns and a tricky way off camber sweeper.I did spin off track at the finish line esses,sometimes you have to find the limit.

I didn't get to hear the lap times but I did work the course when PT-SM cars ran.Tom an the Cuda looked fast and smooth on the track.And when we told him earlier." Drivers are DNFing in a certain section so look out for it."."He DNFed in that section",,LOL no problems after the first lap though.Tylor was really giving the Fairlane all it had to get it through the course.The new suspension pieces gave it more control.The hard rubber meeting the ground made it a bit of a drift machine.How much better was it for you then last time Tylor? After a couple laps I can see Richard starting to power out of the turns harder.Maybe his times were getting close to Toms at the end.I know Tom was fastest out of the five .So who finish behind him and how did the Magnum finish?I'm thinking the Fairlane and Mark's Chevelle had pretty equal lap times..I can't wait a week and half for results to find out...lol

Next Event Dec 9th and good luck to the GUYs running Good Guy's Del Mar next weekend!

Something to tell your Pro Touring friends, Our next event Dec 9th is a TART SDR SCCA event TART is the hosting club putting it on..They are the club that favors the V8 Amertican cars the most.Their pres Rick, races the 66 vett BP class,the F5Cobra and Magnum are TART members.I know they would be looking forward to seeing more and more V8 muscle at their event.

In the pic : see how the cones work their way up the hill. This is a small portion of the San Diego Qualcomm Track....Pic taken many months ago Rick Perry at the wheel.a Mike M preped Vett.

Tart event flyer is posted now at SDR-SCCA.com/solo PT in SM "Street Modified run 5th group work 4th so your on the course watching the cars before you run. also check out FACEBOOK "San Diego SCCA Autocross"

Tomswheels
11-19-2012, 11:29 AM
Good times George, thanks for keeping us motivated and organized, that course layout was great! My last lap was a 66 and change and felt surprisingly good, the wider rear wheels and tires and lack of rear sway-bar made the torsion barred-leaf springed Barracuda much more neutral handling. Not good handling, but at least more neutral. Great to see the Chevelle, Fairlane, and the two Mustangs out there. I'll definately be there on the 9th, and Goodguys this weekend.

PRO-66
11-19-2012, 03:43 PM
6769967698The track was a blast to drive. The right turn at the bottom of the hill on the first lap had me SIDEWAYS! Does anyone know what gate and time we need to be at the goodguys autocross on Saturday? Great to see everyone and look forward to Dec 9th.

Bryce
11-20-2012, 06:52 AM
It was fun watching you guys out there! Nice to meet you Mark. That chevelle is very nice. Now just start finding its limits! Tyler really needs some tires and Tom surprises me with how fast and smooth that baracuda is. My 14 month old daughter also had fun wathcing the cars.

Tomswheels
11-20-2012, 04:42 PM
Always good to see you Bryce, hope to see all of you at Goodguys, Mark if you can get there by 8:30 Sat AM that is about as late as you can safely get tech finished and going on time.

soloracerSD
11-21-2012, 05:11 PM
Tom are you going to try doing GG without the rear Sway bar..The tighter smaller then SCCA courses ,you might need it..

How does a day work at a GG event...How many laps how often are there run groups?

PRO-66
11-22-2012, 05:32 PM
Thanks Bryce, nice to meet you to. I really do need to push the car harder. I may be going out of town for the weekend, but if the trip goes down I will be at GGDM. If I dont make it have a great time out there.

soloracerSD
11-23-2012, 10:31 PM
I was there today Mark.The track is bigger then last spring,Best lap time I heard was a 58 second for the 2 lap course.Tom and Rich ran.Tylor was there.Tom and Rich can give rides!I'll go for one tomorrow Tylor should to.

Tylor I saw a thread here "SCARELANE" you need to get your car low like that.Tires and some track time and you'll be up to speed

NEXT TART SCCA EVENT DEC 9th and you can get 8 laps for 50.00 if you are a SCCA member,if your not add 20.That 20 is a payment towards a membership that costs 65.00 plus 30 more for the regional card.If you wait more then 30 days to be a member .The 20 is no longer applied to the membership.

soloracerSD
11-25-2012, 11:17 PM
Next Event DEC 9th 8 laps for 50.00 special or 4 laps for 30..maybe even laps for 2 dollars,Fun Runs"

The results from the Nov 18 event are now posted at sdr-scca.com/solo2 and so is the next event TART SDR-SCCA FLYER

We had 148 total entries Nov 18. From Pro-Touring there was 5 that I know of.The 5 from PT ran in SM and mixed it up with a Dodge Magnum,also a 240 sx ran in SM Novice.Alcino ran in the morning sm-X and couldn't run in class.So for fun I listed all contenders that could be running with you guys next event

Street Modified 4seater mod cars Nov 18 results
?????:) 65.421
Tom 69 Cuda 66.721
Mark 66 Chevelle 68.376
Alcino 76 Mustang 68.178
240sx Novice 68.994
Dennis 05 Magnum 69.083
Rich 69 Stang 71.043
Tylor 66 Fairlane 76.016

Maybe next time we can add Bryce ,Dan and Charles and more to this list
For the curious there was 3 Mustangs and a Pontiac in F-Stock Class on 40 tread ware tires DOTs

Okay next Event is with TART SDR SCCA. Rick P the Pres of the TART club likes doing things a little different.

All SD SCCA clubs charge 30 for your first 4 laps on competition day.If you buy a second set of 4 it's usually 25 or 30 and you have to work another work group.Thats 2 work groups total.. For TART RICK charges only 20 for your second set of 4 and you don't have to work a second time.Thats almost as good as a practice day.

Okay here is what I suggest for our PT group.PT group is running in SM which works 4th and runs 5th.Fill out your entry card for that.If you want to do 4 more for 20.00. Then fill out a second entry card For 6th run group, for class put sm-X..right the sm a little smaller on the card.Your second set of runs are called X runs not "In Class Runs" Now "FUN RUNs" are unlikely because days are shorter so Xruns are the only way of getting more laps.

On your car you have to add a X when starting 6th run group.No X on the car in 5th run group because those will be your "In Class Runs".Just SM for 5th run group.You finish your 4 laps in 5th group stay in grid. and then you will start your next 4, X runs

I showed Tom and Rich this at the Good Guys DEL MAR event. They are doing the SM and then sm-X..Also no passengers in SM only instructors..in sm-X 6th run group you can take passengers.

The Class I run in is in the morning I might do X runs in 5th or 6th with you guys.

One more thing about Xruns .For 20.00 and not having to work.They will sell alot of them..and they sometimes limit 10 to a run group..You might want to be in line early .. before 10 am maybe 9 maybe I can call Rick..but it's really early bird gets the worm.

Also if you are not yet a SCCA member ,you will need a 20.00 weekend trial membership.

If you want to run with the PT group or anything SCCA contact me here..I'll answer any questions.
Yes Tom you can enter/drive different cars .in different run groups.Only first 4 laps of the day are In Class

If I or Tom and Rich happen to talk to you at Good Guys Del Mar.Say hello here.Dan W is also one of our racers when he can.

yes it was a Civic..:) it's beatable "focus" Our Video Vimeo.com/12067348

soloracerSD
11-28-2012, 08:52 AM
You can't miss out on racing on a half to 3 quarters of a mile autocross track with half of it on a sloping hillside parking lot.Most have joined SDR-SCCA after one weekend trial membership.5 in a row from this site and counting.

The next Del Mar GG is a 4 months away.So be prepared.
Next SCCA Autocross Dec 9th WHO's COMING "I'll start a list here 11/30/2012"

Alcino 76 Mustang
Tom 2013 and 86 Mustang who finished 11th( 69 Cuda) in SM GG but 2nd overall with 2013 mustang
Gregg 69 Camaro who finished 3rd in SM GG
Richard 69 Mustang or 87 I think 15th at SM GG (69 Mustang)
Mark 66 Chevelle
Tylor 66 Fairlane
maybe more
No preregistering for this event. Just show up early. Next event feb 2 and 3 .Practice and competition days

San Diego Qualcomm stadium requires us to have A 93 db sound limit 50ft from track!If that worries you ,we can test before 9am and at noon.

alcino
12-01-2012, 12:33 AM
I'm most likely going to make it. I really want to test out my newly made rear pan hard bar. On the street it makes the car much more predictable so hopefully I can stop spinning out on the track. Also ordered some Falken azenis 615-k. So if they show up in time to be mounted I may actually be legal for our 200UTQG rule that love(NOT!)

soloracerSD
12-01-2012, 05:49 PM
Some pics From our Facebook and some that I took.. The Roadrunner,Scion, Civic picture Reminds me of the Cartoon "Cars"..The Silver Maroon Rice Burner ah thats me.Only pics of Meat and Potatoe Cars For now on I promise....LOL I've added pics to past text 109,130 so look back. It took this long to figure how to post pics here...I'm no expert at this stuff More pics at Facebook "San Diego SCCA Autocross" and Lateapexphoto.com

Lets start hearing from those who are coming.Dec 9th

Bryce
12-02-2012, 07:49 AM
George next time crop the fat guy out the car pictures!

My engine trans and car are still seperated. UGGH.

soloracerSD
12-02-2012, 09:02 AM
Isn't that Goldburg.with a wig :)

Bryce
12-02-2012, 09:06 AM
George, isnt that you in the background. You look kinda small.

soloracerSD
12-02-2012, 09:16 AM
I always suck it in when cameras are around...LOL

If putting your engine in is all you need to do to run it..Then do it..We can pull and put it in again for the January event with the New parts.Your not waiting for some crazy clear acrylic bell housing with LED lights in it are you.?...LOL

soloracerSD
12-06-2012, 08:55 PM
3 days till next Autocross..Anyone new running Dec 9th? FREE TO WATCH! Qualcomm Stadium San Diego 9 to 5

V8240Z
12-07-2012, 05:38 AM
George, I have been frantically working on the car, but hit a snag Wednesday with the Wilwood brakes in the rear. They are shipping me the parts to fix it, but won't be here until Monday. Looks like I'll be a day late for this one. Planning for Feb 3rd now!
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2012/12/97833DDDF87B48CFBE3E0AFE1F863BB076470000-1.jpg
Charles

Tomswheels
12-07-2012, 05:32 PM
Ooooh Charles she's looking good!

Gandalf
12-08-2012, 03:06 PM
George - I should be there tomorrow. Still dealing with a couple issues but the car is together at least so I'll come have some fun!

G.

soloracerSD
12-08-2012, 07:47 PM
Good to see someone post a pic here Charles.. It will be nice to see the 70 Camaro run in Febuarary. And it isn't just a FEB 3rd it's Febuary 2nd and 3rd.A 45.00 practice day.(9ish laps in 1.5 hour groups.)on Saturday 4 groups total.. On sunday competition day 6 groups ,The track is run in the opposite direction.With both ends of the track changed.

( you preregister for saturday practice,You print app. and mail in)

Glade you'll make it Gregg.You make it 6 that I know are coming from Pro-Touring.com..Could be more from the GG event For our dec 9th event.

I'll be there at 7:30, I need my morning exersize of walking the track 3 times.adding up to maybe 2.5 miles.or less

Bryce
12-09-2012, 08:06 AM
I will stop by on my way home from work. what time are you running?

soloracerSD
12-09-2012, 08:00 PM
Another Fun day at Qualcomm Stadium. SDR TART SCCA had a great fun track waiting for everyone to race on.Starting from the high point in the lot .First turn was a off camber right 180. Then up and then down the hill.Then a short up hill and down. Then back up the hill to finish.More turns then I can go into detail with...:)

Gregg B tried it with us for the first time . I think he's hooked now....LOL

The pic with lime green cones is the starting line ...In one of the pics he has come up and out of the 180 off camber turn and is now on his way down the hill.

I would say Tylor was most improved driver of the day.No longer 5 to 10 seconds behind.Rich taking fastest time with the PT group running SM with a 58.??? Tom also 58.??? Mark 59.??Tylor 61.?? So Times are alot closer then last time.

Gregg B Running SU-X put in 16 laps.First lap a 58 I think near the end he was 55s then 54s best run 53.3 I think.

Sorry For some of you that didn't get all your runs.Alcino broke in gride .and in 6th group a oil cooler was torn loose from a formula car and oiled down the track.Probably the 2nd time I know of the event ending before 6th group finished.To much mess and to late.

alcino
12-10-2012, 09:33 AM
FYI, I got the car running and was able to drive to work this morning with no issues. It took a few hours of tearing apart the interior and engine bay but I eventually found my electrical gremlin late last night. Ended up being the main power pin in the big connector going into the fusebox was all corroded. Once I cleaned it up and added dielectric grease all the electronic came to life and the car is once again operational. Funny how my little pin decided to quit just when I was about to take my first run. I had been waiting all month to autox and telling everyone about it and how I couldn't wait to test my new panhard bar. Oh well, next time. Thanks for all the help everyone lent me, especially Tom. I'm signing up for AAA today, LOL.

Tomswheels
12-10-2012, 03:08 PM
No worries Alcino, glad the wife forcing me to sign up for AAA helped out. I actually did use it 4 times this year with my old car addiction so I guess it makes sense. Glad you found the problem fairly easily. Great job to Mark, Greg, Rich, and Tyler, you guys all drove really well, you should be proud of how you are changing the old American cars autocross reputation!

DTM Racing
12-10-2012, 06:59 PM
Sorry I missed it guys, but I'm glad you all had a good time.

Bryce
12-10-2012, 09:56 PM
I got stuck at work all day. Sorry I didnt get to watch. looked like fun.

soloracerSD
12-11-2012, 10:43 PM
So Tom did you learn your lessen? "Not to put sticky tires in the front and rocks in the rear"When I watch you come up the course .All I saw was smoke...LOL I thought you had blown your motor and was tring to get off the track.That was the perfect tire choice for donuts not autocross...:)

Curious about the Cuda. I don't think you plan on changing spring and torsion bars.Any way of doing mini air bags in the front.To firm it up.Some people event take those half leaf booster springs and mount them on the front half of the leafs.It firms them up and reduces wheel hop.Better then using bolt on control arms.They bind during yaw.I'm no engineer just what I've seen and heard.Oh a good set of shocks.The ones I use where 125.00 each 20 years ago.Yes I'm do for some new ones.

Gandalf
12-12-2012, 08:23 PM
What a great day! After months of prompting, I finally managed to make it out to the local SCCA meet. Under George's watchful eye, I got there early Sunday morning. As I pulled through the gate there was George waving frantically from the pit area to come park. Never was there a bigger advocate for the PT community who doesn't actually own a PT vehicle! George guided me through the signup process where I purchased my runs for the day, helped me sticker up the car with numbers and then we walked the track together a couple of times.

I worked the first run group which gave me the opportunity to see how things ran and watch how the seasoned folks attack the track (and dust it off too). From there I ran 4 runs in each of the next 4 run groups through mid afternoon. The track layout was a blast with a little of everything including some elevation change which was cool. Some gates, small slalom, narrowing turn-in. Challenging but fast - a solid 2nd gear track for me. Data recorded says 0.6mile track with 40ft elevation change, 77mph peak and 37mph average! Fun!

I had made some changes to the throttle and also the brake bias the previous day, combined with the unknown track, I had to keep myself in check the first few runs. Wow! The car felt great! Little loose in the back but a couple quick adjustments to the RideTech triple shocks dialed that out very quick and the car stuck like glue all day. I had decided ahead of time that I was going to concentrate my efforts on driver improvement throughout the day and not fuss with the car so I left the adjustments at that.

George pretty much summed it up - 58sec out of the box and 16runs to sneak up on 53sec and with only 2 cones all day. I didn't set any records but I like to think I showed a few little rice-cars a thing or two AND I was on 200tw tires unlike many. Next time I'm putting the RA1's down! I was truly stoked with the car and the day.

I met some great, very welcoming people. The event was very professional, organised & safely run. Many people were extremely enthusiastic of the "old car" and wanted to know more. I gave rides to those who asked. Even George jumped in - he got very quiet toward the bottom of the coarse - I think he might have been praying, I'm not sure lol.

So all-in-all, I had a great day and feel I definitely got my money's worth ($20/4-runs). Met a lot of great people. I'm going to point out George (soloracerSD) one more time. George was constantly vigilent and if anything pre 1980 even looked like it was coming through the front gate, he was on it like white on rice! If anyone was heard to ask a question about the car, George was usually in earshot and made sure they got to see the ProTour sticker in the rear window and that they knew there was a community of people resurrecting these old cars to participate in these types of events. Thanks for being part of the community George and making sure our folks are taken care of and made aware of the SCCA opportunities in SoCal.

I WILL be helping to rally the SoCal usual suspects in to one or more of these events early 2013.

A great day - BIG thanks to George & everyone involved.
G.

Ron.in.SoCal
12-13-2012, 05:29 PM
^ That's fantastic Gregg! Really happy the car (& driver combo, lol) was working well. George sounds like a great guy too. I'll head down w you one of these days...

Hank
12-17-2012, 05:35 PM
Hey guys, sorry no posts on here for awhile. I told Pro-Touring to notify me of new posts in this thread, but it hasn't, so I've missed out in a lot of conversation it seems. In any case, great to see you guys coming out each month, if not the same cars.

With this 2 month hiatus, I hope you guys can get your cars in order and also think about what the future of your involvement in the SCCA San Diego Region will look like. I know Tom has posted in the SCCA SDR forum about getting your own class and I want to do what I can help that happen, so let me know where you guys are at in that respects. Our next Board Meeting is on January 7th!

Tomswheels
12-17-2012, 05:55 PM
Hank and George we really do appreciate your help with the SCCA. As far as I can tell we have the following people who are very dedicated to showing up at every event:
Me (69 Cuda)
Rich (69 Stang)
Tyler (67 Fairlane)
Mark (66 Chevelle)
Alcino (76 Stang)
in addition, we have a few that may be showing up next year consistently:
Bryce (65 Falcon)
Charles (73 Camaro)
Gregg (69 Camaro)
Dan (69 Road Runner)
If I forgot anyone let me know!

So it seems the simplest way to make a class for us is to keep it simple, Pre-77 American Cars (over 2500 lbs) street-registered, 200 treadware or greater tires. This basically mirrors the Goodguys rules and makes it inclusive to all. How do we get the SCCA folks to do it?

Hank
12-17-2012, 06:38 PM
It'll be harder for the board to take you seriously with such broad rules, but seeing as most of you didn't create your cars FOR autocross, I could see a broader class being a way to get the PT/Muscle/American community to buy-in before starting to ask them to spend more money to be competitive or remove class-illegal mods.

As it stands though, your class is basically just like our SM class now: anyone can win if they want to pour in more money. Does anyone on leaf springs and a stock motor have a chance against Gregg? If you're running 245s on your stock rims but the next guy has 305s on 11" wheels, how are you going to feel that he's can hamfist his way around the track and still own you? Is it just easier to swallow if you get beat by American than an import? Without some more guidelines, I think it'll be harder to be taken seriously.

This reminds me of women in MMA. They want a place in the sport, but for the sport to be taken seriously, they need weight classes because otherwise nobody would take them seriously as there's no sense of fairness. But then, if you start to exclude, you suddenly have a pool that's so small that nobody cares and potential quality fighters are discouraged from pursuing. Long way of me saying I think some restrictions might go a long way in making a real class.

Many people come and go when it comes to autocross and that's why I think George would rather wait a year because people talk big and don't follow through (and our region knows this). I hope to keep seeing you guys and you do seem like a relatively organized bunch. Let me know what you guys think.

Last note: I'm guessing this is an effort to not exclude people, but a 200+ treadwear rating ilimits you to basically Dunlop Star Specs and nothing else. As great as this tire is, if you include 140+ you give people more options on tires. I'm specifically concerned less with the grip the compound provides and more the sizes offered (they only go up to 18").

Hank
12-17-2012, 09:45 PM
Anyway, if any of you guys (besides George and Tom) follow the SCCA SDR Solo forum, you'll know that it's a certain road ahead of you before a local class can be created. It's good to keep in mind what you want for the future and I'm happy to discuss it, but the focus is to keep showing up so the vets and board get to know who you guys are and see you're serious about autocross, ironically even if you just do it for fun.

soloracerSD
12-17-2012, 09:46 PM
To talk class you need to know something about the SCCA Solo 2 solo1 rule book.That why you can see how detailed they are.If you don't want so many rules we have that class.There is one car in that class that is maybe 7 seconds faster then me.The other cars running in that class Tom has beaten with a stock 69 Cuda.You all can run together there.It takes 7 cars I think to get a 2nd place trophy.I know that Gregg has a great car and is quickly picking up speed.Next event he will be on 100 tread wear tires and I will be challenged to keep up.He was only a half second behind me on 200s.He can be in XP and challenge the XP Cobra.That 69 Camaro can run in SU or XP.The guys in SM can run SU to.But I think at the moment you guys have it pretty good in SM.The only car to challenhge you guys is the Honda Civic of Jason.. It's Stock I'm Curious how fast was Dov in Rich's Mustang did he get a 56.00 that would of matched the Civics time.You guys are picking up speed and with some more car prep and a good match set of 200s You could win SM as it is now.Maybe save you 200s for Good Guys and use 100s at SCCA. like Gregg.

BTW the SCCA solo2 solo1 rule book is online at SCCA.com click solo look for car classification and rules.. or buy it for 25.00.
2500lb is lighter then what SM and CP allow for a 5 liter.The rules I have in mind would be 2900 for 5 liter and anything over 3600 is anything goes. based on the adjusted formula adopted from SM.From what I've seen Gregg and Bryce have the fastest cars ..Bryce made the first event of the year and Gregg the last. 2700lb 350hp vs nearly 3600lb and 700hp. I'm curious to see who is faster around the track

soloracerSD
12-17-2012, 10:21 PM
What happens often .Folks race Muscle cars and 5 months later they are racing a Miata.Me..I've raced the same car for 20 plus years..LOL I haven't given up on a SM vertion of a Vintage muscle car class .A class happening after just 4 events is unlikely.At last event only 2 and a half cars were Vintage Muscle.A Fairelane ,Chevelle and the 69 Camaro being the half. That is what can be shown for a reason for the class.REmember

SM XP,CP and SU always run in same group.

In reply to Gregg.s letter
I like the data and it was a fun track and yes, I was excited to have you show up.I've told folks at our events I 'm getting cars coming from Pro-touring.com and Good Guys.Some have asked several times whats that site again. So when I saw it on you back window..lol It was like "Here it is write it down."
And your bringing 100 treadware RA1s next event Awsome !I hope I can challenge you. I'm curious to see the results of the event to see who I expect you will be beating next event on RA1s maybe the XP Cobra.I'm getting use to my NT01s so I'm curious where I'm at overall.

Anyway next event is on the small lot.

Good to have you come back on Hank! it's been a while. So for how long have you been racing a GO-KART.?
I saw you in your clean drivers suit.Sunday.I bet your a real chick magnet in the Paddock..Oh who was the guy in orange and orange umprella working the course? There was another walking the Paddock.Is it a cult..:)

soloracerSD
12-17-2012, 11:25 PM
at sdr-scca.com results are now up for dec 9th event and photos are up at LATEAPEXPHOTO.com for Dec 9th

The finish order isn't what we thought in SM Rich you didn't get away with that DNF. Mark was 3rd.

Gregg was just 1,3 of a second behind th XP-F5 Cobra that was on 40 tread ware okay Gregg had more laps to do it in.But next time RA1s

Hank
12-18-2012, 08:04 AM
You guys should really check the SCCA SDR forum out: http://www.sdsolo.com/forum/forum.php

I only really see Tom on there. Even if it doesn't make a huge difference, if people see your presence on the boards, they see more dedication and investment in the sport and are more likely to take you seriously when it comes time in August and September to try to write in your own class.

Also, if you haven't already, we also have a facebook: facebook.com/sandiegoautocross

Tomswheels
12-22-2012, 09:00 PM
Hank and George, again, thanks for all the help. For the Practice day in Feb, what is different for signing up? Can I bring more than one car? Are any of the rest of you joining Rich and I at Run to the Coast?

soloracerSD
12-22-2012, 09:18 PM
I don't think the fryers are up yet for Feb 2 and 3rd.. but when the Feb 2nd practice is.There will be instructions..What usually happens is you print the practice flyer.Put down your info and mail it in at least 2 weeks before event with check. There is a morning run and work group and afternoon run and work group.. You can sign up for both. and use 2 different cars.I expect practice to be 45.00 for a 1.5 hr run group more then 8 laps possible.... Sunday championship will be the same 30.00 for SCCA members.plus 20.00 for trial membership if not a member

What are the car requirements for run to the coast? is it a muscle car club?

Tomswheels
12-22-2012, 09:35 PM
Run to the coast is 98% old muscle cars, but I ran my 2013 Stang, and saw a BMW M3 and an EVO there last year...

Hank
12-23-2012, 06:45 AM
Yes, Practices, unlike Champ Events, are always done via a mailed-in pre-registration system with usually a limit of 80-100 entrants. That sounds like a lot but with this being the first practice of the year and the first in quite a long while, I always send my entry immediately. Two weeks beforehand and Im guessing you'll be on a wait list.

Usually you get at least 11 runs, but it's anywhere between 8 and 14 I'd say, depending on how the day goes and how the club runs things. Some clubs do it by time, others by runs. And if I recall it correctly, 3/5 clubs do it how George described and 2/5 do it like a Test n Tune where you run in the morning and afternoon with a break for tweaking setup of your car and giving you time to process.

V8240Z
12-23-2012, 07:06 AM
Please post here when we are first able to sign up. I don't want to miss this weekend!

soloracerSD
12-23-2012, 10:00 AM
I will do Charles I do expect to see it posted at SDR-SCCA.com/solo2 in a week.Thats my best guess...and mailing in as soon as possible ,Events before SOLO2 National Tour sell out fast.I haven't done a practice in over a year..Like Hank said with 5 different clubs hosting events.Different ideas are tried.Some might restrict you to using one car.But few members do 2 car practice events and the event host Chairmen can make adjustments for you..if it works.Tom has a collection of race cars..Tom do you have a Corvett too?

Anyone out there a DAKAR RALLY fan? I look forward to it every year.I would say it's the best REALITY SPORTING TV program .It starts Jan 5 on NBC sports with update 30 minute programs everyday for 2 weeks.If you haven't heard of it ,It's a 5000 mile desert race.400 miles a day for 13 days roughly.Sense I'm a build rules kind of guy.You have a choice of designs to run for overall win.A 4X4 with a wheel travel limit of I think 10 inches no tire inflation system..Or 2WD with 18 inches of travel and tire inflation system.So in the tight twisty stuff 4X4 are faster in wide open rough 2wd are faster.5000 miles.The American ROBBY GORDON is in a 2wd basicly a Class 1 SCORE Baja buggy with enclosed Carbin Fiber Hummer body.He was so fast in the rough last year that other teams looked for reason to protest the Hummer.He was accused of bypassing the engine air intake restrictor that reduces power.Accussed of using the tire inflation system to force air between engine and restrictor.This time he has asked that they pre check his vehicle before registering.So he will be inspected twice.He finished 2nd last year and DQed.A vehicle designed by Robby to challenge the factory teams of Toyota ,BMW/MINI, and Mitsubishi.etc.

stay up to date at PLANETROBBY.com and dakar.com

check out the videos at youtube.com like this one"Hummer Saltando Dakar" I know it's not autocross but it's so cool

Oh and if you can't wait till FEB 2nd and 3rd to autocross at Q stadium..SCCA CAL-CLUB is autocrossing in Fontana AAA speedway Jan 26 and 27..for info go to SOLO2.com

heres a good video of what one of their courses look like YOUTUBE SEARCH "SCCA AUTO X FONTANA NOVEMBER 4 2012" A nice lot and I haven't raced there in years.Many of their racers raced our last event.Mike S their chairman would like to see you guys run with them.

Gandalf
12-25-2012, 02:04 PM
Hank and George we really do appreciate your help with the SCCA. As far as I can tell we have the following people who are very dedicated to showing up at every event:
Me (69 Cuda)
Rich (69 Stang)
Tyler (67 Fairlane)
Mark (66 Chevelle)
Alcino (76 Stang)
in addition, we have a few that may be showing up next year consistently:
Bryce (65 Falcon)
Charles (73 Camaro)
Gregg (69 Camaro)
Dan (69 Road Runner)
If I forgot anyone let me know!

So it seems the simplest way to make a class for us is to keep it simple, Pre-77 American Cars (over 2500 lbs) street-registered, 200 treadware or greater tires. This basically mirrors the Goodguys rules and makes it inclusive to all. How do we get the SCCA folks to do it?

I'll do what I can to support the cause for sure but in all fairness I know that I won't be available for every event. My business and other event schedules keep me on my toes but I will definitely participate whenever I'm in town and able.

Oh and if you can't wait till FEB 2nd and 3rd to autocross at Q stadium..SCCA CAL-CLUB is autocrossing in Fontana AAA speedway Jan 26 and 27..for info go to SOLO2.com

Hmmmmmmmmm........ got me thinking already George lol!

G.

Tomswheels
01-01-2013, 03:24 PM
All right so for anyone interested in joining us this is the Rich and I schedule for the first half of 2013. We will be running Qualcomm and the So-Cal challenge days as well as Goodguys and Run to the Coast:

Feb. 2/3. Qualcomm Autocross
Feb. 23/24. Run to the Coast
March 2. So-Cal Challenge Adams Motorsprts Park Riverside
March 3. Qualcomm Autocross
March 16/17. Qualcomm Autocross
March 23/24. (Possibly). Goodguys Pleasanton
April 5-7. Goodguys Del Mar
April 27. So-Cal Challenge Camarillo
April 28. Qualcomm Autocross
June 1/2. Qualcomm Autocross
June 8. So-Cal Challenge Adams Motorsports Park Riverside
June 29/30. Qualcomm Autocross

The So-Cal challenge is a 5 event series in 2013 and is alot of fun, I recommend it for all the PT guys who haven't tried it yet. Hope to see Tyler, Bryce, Alcino, Charles, Mark and whoever else can join often next year!

Matt@BOS
01-04-2013, 11:04 AM
I think I might have to sign up. Gregg might have just convinced me after his last trip...

Matt

soloracerSD
01-04-2013, 04:29 PM
Hello Matt

If your talking about the SCCA.The Feb 2nd and 3rd Flyer should be posted soon at SDR-SCCA.com..I'm surprised it isn't up now.You print it,write a check and mail it in right away.SCCA TRial weekend memberships are sold at the event.

I think I remember Gregg telling me you had a Mustang and a Camaro.Matt.

If you didn't know the FEB 2nd and 3rd event are paid for separately.One day is a practice, one is competition..It won't be on the same lot as last Dec 9th.That was WEST LOT..This one will be on SOUTH EAST LOT.. Qualcomm stadium Parking lot.

Also today at Qualcomm stadium Jan 5th ,San Diego's autocrossers from the SCCA,and also the other local clubs such as Porsche,BMW,Karting and SuperMoto will be at the Q patching the pavement.Once a year we all get together to patch the pot holes.Will there be any chargers doing the patching? I dought it...:) If any one wants to give a helping hand come on down.

Oh Yes! the Dakar Rally Raid starts today.One of my favorite races of the year!(((.Dakar.com and planetrobby.com))) updates tonight on NBC SPORTS.It takes 2 weeks to finish the 5000 plus mile race across the desert. also search SBS broadcasting dakar on google.SBS.com/AU

Matt@BOS
01-06-2013, 01:30 AM
Hello Matt

If your talking about the SCCA.The Feb 2nd and 3rd Flyer should be posted soon at SDR-SCCA.com..I'm surprised it isn't up now.You print it,write a check and mail it in right away.SCCA TRial weekend memberships are sold at the event.

I think I remember Gregg telling me you had a Mustang and a Camaro.Matt.

If you didn't know the FEB 2nd and 3rd event are paid for separately.One day is a practice, one is competition..It won't be on the same lot as last Dec 9th.That was WEST LOT..This one will be on SOUTH EAST LOT.. Qualcomm stadium Parking lot.

Also today at Qualcomm stadium Jan 5th ,San Diego's autocrossers from the SCCA,and also the other local clubs such as Porsche,BMW,Karting and SuperMoto will be at the Q patching the pavement.Once a year we all get together to patch the pot holes.Will there be any chargers doing the patching? I dought it...:) If any one wants to give a helping hand come on down.

Oh Yes! the Dakar Rally Raid starts today.One of my favorite races of the year!(((.Dakar.com and planetrobby.com))) updates tonight on NBC SPORTS.It takes 2 weeks to finish the 5000 plus mile race across the desert. also search SBS broadcasting dakar on google.SBS.com/AU

Hi George, you must have a good memory. I do have a new Mustang and an old Camaro. Do I need to figure out what I'm bringing out and what class I would be in beforehand, or can I just show up? Will we have a pro touring class this season, or would I end up in CP with the Camaro?

Thanks for your interest in our community,
Matt

soloracerSD
01-06-2013, 08:53 AM
You don't need a class on practice days because no laptimes are recorded and posted..On Championship days you need a class because all laptimes are recorded and posted.Most of the Pro-Touring guys run in S-Modified class.The class allows a lot of mods, but you must use a stock unaltered frame.(Aftermarket suspension must use stock frame attachment mounts)Subframe connectors are allowed and so is a roll cage with only 6 mounting points to floor.Some of the PT guys could probably run in ESP or STX that allows less mods.In SM most all can run together.

CP cars also use stock frame but stock attachment points have been strippedoff.and you can't add turbos and S-Chargers.SM you can add them.
XP and SU allow aftermarket frames and I think power adders to.

There are alot more details then what I wrote here.ALOT! The Rule book covering all classes is close to 400 pages and 25.00$ ONLINE Rule book at SCCA.com/Solo(For more details go to my 7th text on this thread.)

On the practice day ,We have morning group and afternoon group.You can pay to enter both and bring 2 cars or just one.

Back to class.Your Camaro will run at same time as SM,CP,XP,SU on sunday.So we can tell you the class when we see it.We don't have a official class that limits vintage modified muscle cars to be older then lets say 1976.Best thing for them is SM.Do we have a class like Optima Battery Ultimate Street Car Challenge.I know thats popular with PT.YES we do! that is SM also.But we limit it to 4 seater cars on stock frame with interior,( we have a 2 seater version to)and allow any DOT race tire.So you can use you 200 TW or go softer and save your 200TW for street and other events.Like most SCCA SOLO racers we have 2 sets of wheels and tire Compounds.I have 200s for street and 100s for autocross but could use 30 treadwear Kumhos yes thirty tread wear.ALCINO MUSTANG 2 loves this way of thinking.I bet!
Like in Ultimate street car challenge you will see WRX STIs,and BMWs.I haven't seen one run SM in 7 month at SDR.

Do you plan on doing the Feb 2nd practice?

Tomswheels
01-06-2013, 05:37 PM
Its about time you come down and join us Matt! Ive still only seen the GT500, not the vintage Camaro... So Im excited! George I found some cheap Michelin Cup Slicks... No treadware rating... Can I run them in SM?

soloracerSD
01-06-2013, 08:02 PM
No racing slicks in SM..Only DOT Tires It should have on the tire.If not then it isnt..Some DOTs look like slicks with 2 grooves.

Slicks Have to run in PrePared classes like CP and XP,,BP etc.

I don't know what Michelin cup tires are..They Could be DOT.do you know ? Tom..I'll check into it.

I'm back from Tirerack.com Tom if your asking about Michelin"Pilot Sport Cup" they a DOT competition 80 treadwear.Good for SM But you can't have them because I can't have you beating me...LOL Make sure you check the correct tire model.. there is also "Pilot Sport" they aren't as sticky as the CUP..Use Tirerack.com to check out details

Michelin SX CUP are racing slicks and can only be used in Prepared classes.That includes the treaded SX rain tire.

Matt@BOS
01-06-2013, 08:50 PM
Its about time you come down and join us Matt! Ive still only seen the GT500, not the vintage Camaro... So Im excited! George I found some cheap Michelin Cup Slicks... No treadware rating... Can I run them in SM?

Tom, I am also excited to take the Camaro out. I think it has been over a year since I had the car in even a basic functioning level and out on a track.

George, I am planning on running the first weekend in February. We will just have to figure out what class I am in then. I assume I will be classed the same way as Gregg since my car has aftermarket front and rear suspension. Neither the front nor the rear uses original mounting location points, and the engine is an LS7 punched out to 7.4 liters. Not exactly built to conform to a certain class, to say the least.

Matt

soloracerSD
01-06-2013, 09:11 PM
See you then Matt.Gregg was with in a second of the Factory 5 Cobra Last event.So you and Gregg and mix it up with the Cobra.in XP..There is also a 66 vett .You still will be running at same time as the others from PT in SM.

I sure wish they would post the Practice Flyer at SDR-SCCA.com..the wait is driving me crazy.Soon as it comes out .Everyone will have to rush to the post office To mail their entry.First 80 entries thats it. SO PT guys check SDR-SCCA.com several times a day now.It's that tight in time.

If 40 people pay for morning and afternoon practice that would make the 80 limit.Its usually full 2 weeks before the event.

Bryce
01-07-2013, 12:25 PM
george, call me when the flyer is posted. I will have the falcon out there on the 2nd.

soloracerSD
01-09-2013, 09:36 AM
I charge a fee for that Bryce...LOL I'll know when I check the site.Daily.We can text it out.
It will be good to see that Falcon at the SCCA Autocross again.You did the first event last and ......I hope to see it out more this year.

If you havent been to our facebook lately..Hank has posted some nice new pics of Toms Cars and one of Mark's Chevelle. Off Lateapexphoto.com

Facebook "San Diego SCCA Autocross"

Hank
01-10-2013, 07:51 AM
I charge a fee for that Bryce...

Or get it for free!

http://www.sdr-scca.com/mail/?p=subscribe

^Automatic e-mail updates!

I should be posting up a picture of Gregg's Camaro too. Don't like to inundate the page though with a bunch of pictures at once.

V8240Z
01-11-2013, 05:12 AM
I am surprised the sign ups are still not open. Any updates?

soloracerSD
01-11-2013, 03:50 PM
The deadline to have an Event flyer posted at the site is 3 weeks before Day of event. 3 weeks before event is this weekend.So have your printers ready! and gas in the car to get it to the post office if you plan to do the saturday practice..The sunday championship you don't preregister for,, you just show up and your in. So if you don't make it in on Saturday .Everyone is in on sunday.Saturday is mostlikely a 4 run group event and sunday 6 run group with car classes.

If a Club doesn't have a event flyer posted at the Site SDR-SCCA.com/solo by 3 weeks before event there is a fine..The fine is only 25.00$ . So expect the Flyer any second,minute, hour or day now. I know the anxiety of waiting has had us start off the New Year Drinking to much but the time is near...LOL

soloracerSD
01-13-2013, 10:31 AM
The plan of Losing use of the FULL WEST LOT in 2013 at Qualcomm Stadium is over for now.I THINK?The Open Air Market has been cancelled.It's a interesting story.

I wonder if the space south of the trolley tracks was offered to them.They wanted to be close to the Trolley station,and they would have level ground to set up on and more trolley riders would notice it.Paying visitors could park next to stadium.
South of trolley was used by Junior Dragster in the past.I haven't seen them in a couple of years.I'm really babling about something I know nothing about.Just saying

Hank
01-13-2013, 03:56 PM
What's important is to remember we're all ambassadors for the sport and to not relish in the OAM going bust because while it did seem to possibly threaten our interests, it was also good for the stadium and we want the stadium to continue to have income.

Anyway, I also know you guys are anxious for the flyer for the Feb 2 event. I talked to the Datsun club and they don't have a flyer ready. It's in our sub regulations that a flyer MUST be out 3 weeks before the event or they incur a $25 fine. It looks like they will be incurring this fine.

That being said, don't despair. It's going to happen and while I know it sucks to hover around and be ready to print at a second's notice, I'm not too worried about you guys. It's the guys who wait a couple days that'll end up likely having to be in a less desirable group. Any later and you could be on the waitlist. It's not normally like this, but the first one of the year and after a long hiatus, it very well could be. Sorry for the bad news guys. I'll keep pushing for you guys.

Bryce
01-13-2013, 04:12 PM
thanks for the update! I will be there on Feb 2

Hank
01-15-2013, 09:46 PM
Flyers are up! Send those entries in!

http://www.sdr-scca.com/solo2/schedule/

soloracerSD
01-15-2013, 09:55 PM
thanks Hanks I'm waking the boys with texts and sending them to the post office....:) Really

alcino
01-15-2013, 10:43 PM
Can't make that one. Got babysitting duty all that weekend.

V8240Z
01-16-2013, 05:58 AM
Let's pick a run group guys....

Tomswheels
01-16-2013, 06:43 AM
I put run group B as my first choice, D as my second, C as third, A as fourth. I like to work before I run. Alcino bring that kid, I have a car seat you can borrow...

soloracerSD
01-16-2013, 08:57 AM
I think there is a age limit for passengers.. I think 12 years.It should be at the website.

So Tom are you paying to run morning and afternoon.You might be able to do that on one flyer.Run in B in morning.Then just let them pick one for you in the afternoon.Or you pick it.Just write a note on the flyer + money for both.

Remember now Practice run groups are 1.5 hours.so when you work it's....1.5 hours

Another thing to notice is on FEB 3rd Championship.Last year SM.SU and P1=XP,BP,CP,FP all ran at same time. This year it looks like SM and SU run at same time. ESP and P1 run in other group. Also I'm only seeing 5 groups instead of 6.So that explains the movement of classes.

What does this mean for you guys?Well the 66 Vett and F5 Cobra will be running in different group then SM.So if the 2 subframe changed Camaros wanted to run with them they would run at different time and group then SM.This year I see the Camaros finishing 4th or 5th in that class..In SU I see 3rd and 4th, a 2nd is possible. But the guy winning in SU is faster then cars in P1.Thats if the fast one stays in SU. Thats what you learn the first event of the year.I hear in my class It's going to be tough for me to win this year.More drivers are coming to get me...LOL

Remember Group and class are 2 different things

Tomswheels
01-16-2013, 08:06 PM
Thanks Hank and George, so who's signing up? I know Bryce, Charles, Rich, and myself, any other Pro-tourers?

Tomswheels
01-16-2013, 08:12 PM
Oh and for anyone who hasn't seen it, Rich's 69 Mustang will be his goto autocrosser this year, here's a nice writeup from Popular Hot Rodding: http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/1205phr_1969_ford_mustang_coupe/viewall.html

Hank
01-17-2013, 09:32 AM
By the way, if you guys are wondering WHY we changed to 5 run groups it's because we've been having trouble with having enough workers on course. With too few workers we end up with too many delays due to re-runs, workers getting back to their spots, tired workers, and then there's the general safety concern of having fewer people out there.

Another pro of 5 run groups is less time changing over. An obvious con is potentially longer run/work groups.

This is potentially temporary once numbers come back up. I personally fought to keep 6 rungroups but it is what it is and I understand the region's move.

soloracerSD
01-17-2013, 10:19 AM
Thats what I was thinking Hank, longer Work groups.Not a problem if you truely enjoy the autocross events.For some new comers it might be a issue..Then its not the sport for them.

For other entries into practice.Taylor plans to, I haven't heard from anyone else.I bet we'll see Mark,.......Gregg and Matt showed interest but haven't heard from them

Hank,Maybe you can back up this for me..You don't have to be a SCCA member when you mail in your practice entry.You do that at the event.20.00 for trail weekend membership

Matt@BOS
01-17-2013, 10:35 AM
Thats what I was thinking Hank, longer Work groups.Not a problem if you truely enjoy the autocross events.For some new comers it might be a issue..Then its not the sport for them.

For other entries into practice.Taylor plans to, I haven't heard from anyone else.I bet we'll see Mark,.......Gregg and Matt showed interest but haven't heard from them

Hank,Maybe you can back up this for me..You don't have to be a SCCA member when you mail in your practice entry.You do that at the event.20.00 for trail weekend membership

George, I am trying to get some practice in this weekend, which most likely involves using up old tires, and then I need to add an oil cooler to the new engine. I am looking at Sunday still, and hope to make it. Going both days would be too much car stuff in one weekend.

Matt

soloracerSD
01-17-2013, 12:05 PM
I won't be making the practice either.. I'll be there to check it out..I hope to run sunday..Car and Smog & registration issues.

The Saturday practice event is 8 plus laps for 45.00..Sunday championship is 4 laps for 30.00.If you run IN CLASS and your class runs in Last group like SM,P1and SU is that sunday.That will be your only 4 laps..Unless there are FUN RUNS.The other option is to run Xruns in morning and afternoon to get 8 laps and Work 2 run groups and pay 60.00 for the laps.

The last event of year where TART CLUB sold 4 laps for 20.00 and you didn't have to work.That Isn't the Norm.That happens maybe twice a year.

Bryce
01-17-2013, 05:41 PM
I put run group B as my first choice, D as my second, C as third, A as fourth. I like to work before I run. Alcino bring that kid, I have a car seat you can borrow...

I did the same

QuarterD25
01-20-2013, 10:52 PM
Where do we find out who made the cut for Saturday? I sent out my money the day after the letter came out. I checked the scca sd forum and I didn't see anything. I might have missed the list though.

Hank
01-21-2013, 06:01 PM
Yeah, George is right. You can do all that membership stuff the day of the event. Just speak to Warren. That guy is somehow there at every single event...

Meanwhile, I just spoke to DCCSD. They say they're about half-full but checks just really started coming in and that's why they haven't posted a list. I'm not sure why people are so against making a list on the forums sometimes, but it does take time. Everyone should have gotten in but if you're really paranoid about USPS failure, you can give Kyle (the contact on the flyer) a call. He's the one handling registration for DCCSD.

See you guys out there!

QuarterD25
01-21-2013, 10:43 PM
Thanks Hank.

soloracerSD
01-22-2013, 06:32 PM
Quater D25 got a new pair of shoes!

I passed smog today with the Ca Smog Reffery.Now thats out of the way.Just a new master brake cylinder and some other changes..And I'm good for feb 3. the 2nd is possible but I'm just going to wait till the next practice.

Tomswheels
01-22-2013, 09:50 PM
So we know Charles, Bryce, Tyler, Rich and I will be there, anyone else? Mark? Who's planning on coming Sunday also?

Matt@BOS
01-23-2013, 08:32 AM
So we know Charles, Bryce, Tyler, Rich and I will be there, anyone else? Mark? Who's planning on coming Sunday also?

Unless something comes up, I will be there on Sunday. I might drop in on Saturday for an hour just to say hi, and see what is going on.

PRO-66
01-23-2013, 01:37 PM
I will be there Sunday. Working Saturday(bummer)

Hank
01-24-2013, 07:44 AM
:thankyou: I'm going to pretend and say I was influential in this, so you're welcome!

http://www.sdsolo.com/forum/showthread.php?3553-DCCSD-Practice-List-for-February-2-2013

V8240Z
01-24-2013, 08:30 AM
Looks like run group 'B' is where it is at!

Now I just have to finish the car!

Tomswheels
01-24-2013, 05:13 PM
Awesome Hank, Thanks!

Bryce
01-24-2013, 07:18 PM
I have been out sick for a week, I still have some work to do to get the car ready, it should be ready to drive this weekend, depends on rain.

Im excited.

soloracerSD
01-26-2013, 12:49 PM
The 24 hours of Daytona sports car race is now on.A BIG SPORTS CAR RACE!

So does the SCCA offer points for Autocross like the pros?Yes,To collect points you have to join one of the hosting San Diego Regional -SCCA SOLO Clubs.Then run IN Class. So to join a club. First thing, socialize with your fellow autocrossers and deside who to join.Points are given per class.So if you enter different classes during the year.The points of the different classes you entered can't be added together.Class points are just for that class.

Now the Clubs Collect all points of it's members for a year end Club trophy.So there is a Driver/Class year end trophies and Club trophy.

sdr-scca.com/solo2/results Club Points Class Points Event results

The first SCCA SOLO event of the year is always interesting. You will notice that drivers have changed classes.Some have gone more modified some less.In a couple months we will have our biggest annual event "The SCCA SOLO NATIONAL TOUR".This is why the practice events can fill up quickly.We will have out of state drivers doing the saturday and sunday events.They want to test their cars on the Slopping parking lot with it's cambered and off cambered turns.They want to reduce the home course advantage...:)

So I look forward to next weekend. See YOU THERE!

Bryce
01-29-2013, 07:35 PM
the falcon is ready see you guys on saturday.

soloracerSD
01-29-2013, 08:32 PM
The Autocross season begins.! Super Autocross Bowl Weekend!..:)

So a little info for the first practice of the year.If your running in A or B group be there at 8 am or earlier.You will have to sign in..It's been so long sense I've done a practice. I don't even know if you have to fill out a Registration Championship Card for it.You still have to tech.50 plus cars have to tech first thing in the morning so 8am or earlier should be fine.You should walk the course so that you can make the most out of your laps.At 10 minutes till 9am there could be a drivers meeting and sign in for works.

There is 4 run groups for practice .1.5 hr each.If there is a break down on course.That could stop the clock and time will be added to that group.So after 4 groups and lunch thats 6.5 hours.If there isn't any problems..There is a change of Fun Runs at the end of the day.
So make sure your car is ready.If you have a dirty radiator or old hose you could have problems.Check your wheels that they are torqued correctly.Check that your belts are tight and good.I've seen when guys have put new hoses on and didn't tighten them..A Mess! Resently we had a guy not tighten his fuel line.. A fire on course happened!I've seen when someone didn't tighten their lug nuts.Broked studs and a loose wheel on course.So do your checks.

Sunday is a Championship day.So the course that is used Saturday will be run in the other direction Sunday.A few of turn will be changed to.Most of you guys will be running in the afternoon sunday if your coming.So be there at 9:30 after 10 am and you will be rushed.You could run in the morning but that wouldn't be In Class..SM,CP,XP,ESP all run in the afternoon.

This event and the next one will be held in the South East lot.It's a little smaller then the West lot.I guarantee there will be a couple Hair Pin Turns.A couple of you guys got plenty of practice at those at the GG event. So !You could be the best Hair Pin guys there...:)

Matt!Hope to see you Visit Saturday and run Sunday..Bring your buds Gregg and Ron.YES Racers Can Give Rides In Every Lap! on saturday

V8240Z
01-30-2013, 05:42 AM
Well, I fimally got to drive mine on Sunday. Unfortunately the starter broke and damaged the flexplate. Looks like I'm out until next time.

Bryce
01-30-2013, 07:10 AM
Well, I fimally got to drive mine on Sunday. Unfortunately the starter broke and damaged the flexplate. Looks like I'm out until next time.

Bummer.

soloracerSD
01-30-2013, 07:22 AM
Thats Is..

QuarterD25
01-30-2013, 12:29 PM
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2013/01/8426411591_4ffecdf052-1.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/24728318@N08/8426411591/)
1966 fairlane (http://www.flickr.com/photos/24728318@N08/8426411591/) by quarterduck25 (http://www.flickr.com/people/24728318@N08/), on Flickr

I thought I would throw this up there. I am not so much in love with the wheels but the tires have been pretty fun.

Tomswheels
01-30-2013, 05:30 PM

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2013/01/8426411591_4ffecdf052-1.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/24728318@N08/8426411591/)
1966 fairlane (http://www.flickr.com/photos/24728318@N08/8426411591/) by quarterduck25 (http://www.flickr.com/people/24728318@N08/), on Flickr

I thought I would throw this up there. I am not so much in love with the wheels but the tires have been pretty fun.

Charles, that sucks but I hope you come out anyway, Tyler what size/brand Tires?..

soloracerSD
01-30-2013, 10:23 PM
I like the wheels.. Wheels with that black finish are popular these days.But I'd say the wheels and blue paint would look leaner and meaner without that fender trim.

soloracerSD
01-31-2013, 12:37 PM
More reasons to come down and visit Saturday..The San Diego Karting and Super-Moto (Motorcycles) Racing Club.They have the West lot.They do real wheel to wheel racing.So we are on the parking lot next to freeway 15.They are on the west side of Qualcomm Stadium..

Our Schedule for first 6 months of 2013 Feb2,3March2,3,16,
[29,30,31]April27,28,May 5 June1,2,29,30. 14 days in first six months

March 29,30,31 is the San Diego SCCA SOLO2 National Tour.The Good Guys Del Mar is the following weekend.So 2 big autocross events one week apart in SD.Sure glade not the same weekend

Gandalf
02-01-2013, 04:05 PM
Hey Guys. Haven't really been watching this lately - lots going on. I had planned to run this weekend but I doubt it will happen. At best I will drop in on Sunday to say Hi, maybe come down with Matt.

Cheers,
G!

QuarterD25
02-01-2013, 09:07 PM
Tom, I ended up with 17x8x9; nt05 235 and 255. They feel so much better than my other tires. I'm quite excited for tomorrow.

Hank
02-02-2013, 05:52 AM
Are you guys ready for this!?

Tomswheels
02-02-2013, 06:42 PM
Good times today!! Bryce was very impressive right out of the gate and ran a couple laps in the 65s. Rich was right behind breaking in new brakes on the 69 Mustang with laps in the 66s. I left before Tyler ran so don't know how the new tires worked?

soloracerSD
02-02-2013, 08:50 PM
Tylor did 66.0 before being shut down for a fuel tank leak. We think it was something simple like a vented fuel cap when it should of been unvented.The fairlane has that lower filler neck.A 65 second could of been his next lap but safety comes first.

Hank
02-03-2013, 06:03 AM
Guys, make sure I get pics of any newcomers among PT guys! Also, still need a photo of Bryce. How I wish we had a telephoto lens...

soloracerSD
02-03-2013, 07:06 AM
I planned to take a few pics..But I showed up with a dead battery in my camera.I was going to ask you to take pics, but you were car hopping for rides.Like most of us.

Bryce we might have to still a pic off your Thread! for Facebook.or you can post your favorite one.

I'll be on my way back to the stadium in a few minutes..I hope to see you guys make it for a second day.And that Tylor is ready with a different fuel cap.
I'll be there before 10am thats a good time for all of us.

To add it was a great track.The D Club used every bit of space they could to build a fun challenging course.I counted 5 180 degree turns or U turns mixed with gates and solaloms.Perfecting the U turns and you would make up lots of time.Sometimes we don't have any U turns .

Bryce
02-03-2013, 08:43 AM
I had a blast I ran a 68.990 on my first lap in 6 months and ran 4 laps in the 65s.

here are some pics that my wife took.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2013/02/tn_full_IMG_9328JPG_Thumbnail1-1.jpg (http://www.motortopia.com/photos/711458)

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2013/02/tn_full_IMG_9333JPG_Thumbnail1-1.jpg (http://www.motortopia.com/photos/711462)

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2013/02/tn_full_IMG_9335JPG_Thumbnail1-1.jpg (http://www.motortopia.com/photos/711464)

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2013/02/tn_full_IMG_9359JPG_Thumbnail1-1.jpg (http://www.motortopia.com/photos/711476)

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2013/02/tn_full_IMG_9363JPG_Thumbnail1-1.jpg (http://www.motortopia.com/photos/711479)

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2013/02/tn_full_IMG_9364JPG_Thumbnail1-1.jpg (http://www.motortopia.com/photos/711480)

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2013/02/tn_full_IMG_9368JPG_Thumbnail1-1.jpg (http://www.motortopia.com/photos/711484)
Didnt hit those cones!

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2013/02/tn_full_IMG_9369JPG_Thumbnail1-1.jpg (http://www.motortopia.com/photos/711485)

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2013/02/tn_full_IMG_9370JPG_Thumbnail1-1.jpg (http://www.motortopia.com/photos/711486)

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2013/02/tn_full_IMG_9373JPG_Thumbnail1-1.jpg (http://www.motortopia.com/photos/711489)

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2013/02/tn_full_IMG_9385JPG_Thumbnail1-1.jpg (http://www.motortopia.com/photos/711495)

I took some in car videos too, I will get those up later.

Tomswheels
02-03-2013, 12:58 PM
Lookin good Bryce!

soloracerSD
02-03-2013, 05:56 PM
HANK WE HAVE PICs.!. Bryce, your Wife did a great job with the camera.. Some great shots.

I just got back from the Stadium..I finished 2nd out of 8 cars.I had them all beat until last lap.I was then beaten by a 10th of a second.I think there was 7 cars in SM .Won by a Pontiac GXP.Mark in the 66 Chevelle was getting 67s on todays track and I think Rich in the 69 Mustang also had 67s in the morning.

Matt sorry you didn't make in time to race in the morning...For safety reason we don't let people do laps if they didn't have time to walk the course.People have gotten lost on track before.With 3 cars on the course at the same time it is a safety issue.

I think thats what happened.

soloracerSD
02-03-2013, 10:00 PM
Bryce I noticed one of the pics has the dreaded DB meter in it..LOL Stanley(Lime Green Winged Miata) is the guy working the meter.. Did you get any sound warnings..They warn you if your 91 DB.Your DQed once you hit 93db.

I recently picked up a Magazine that had a good list of buyers guide on autocross and street tires.Mag MODIFIED March 13.Some new sticky tires coming on the market. Who has heard of MAXXIS?They are known for rock climbing tires..Now they are making DOT soft compounds.MAXXIS VICTRA RC-1.They missed some choice tires in the article but list some I never heard of.They missed Kumho 710s& victor racers, Toyo 888 and the New200TW BFG G-Force RIVAL

Listen up Next 2 day event is in 4 weeks.The Flyer for that is required to be posted online 3 weeks before event.So any day now we could see a flyer.most likely next weekend... Event date is March 2nd and 3rd

soloracerSD
02-08-2013, 07:51 AM
The schedule for Champion events March 3 and 17 are now posted..The saturday practice pairing up with them hasn't.Could happen any time.WE could get word from Hank.

Bryce
02-08-2013, 08:56 AM
Bryce I noticed one of the pics has the dreaded DB meter in it..LOL Stanley(Lime Green Winged Miata) is the guy working the meter.. Did you get any sound warnings..They warn you if your 91 DB.Your DQed once you hit 93db.

I recently picked up a Magazine that had a good list of buyers guide on autocross and street tires.Mag MODIFIED March 13.Some new sticky tires coming on the market. Who has heard of MAXXIS?They are known for rock climbing tires..Now they are making DOT soft compounds.MAXXIS VICTRA RC-1.They missed some choice tires in the article but list some I never heard of.They missed Kumho 710s& victor racers, Toyo 888 and the New200TW BFG G-Force RIVAL

Listen up Next 2 day event is in 4 weeks.The Flyer for that is required to be posted online 3 weeks before event.So any day now we could see a flyer.most likely next weekend... Event date is March 2nd and 3rd

I had no issue with the dB meter.

PRO-66
02-08-2013, 09:37 AM
Got hit with 2 db warnings. I think the course workers got a good show as I was drifting/power sliding the 66 around all 5 of the 180's the last 2 laps. The front of the car was working perfect but I think the rear swaybar needs to be set softer for the tighter tracks. Had a blast and looking forward to March 2/3

Bryce
02-08-2013, 10:49 AM
Got hit with 2 db warnings. I think the course workers got a good show as I was drifting/power sliding the 66 around all 5 of the 180's the last 2 laps. The front of the car was working perfect but I think the rear swaybar needs to be set softer for the tighter tracks. Had a blast and looking forward to March 2/3

I wish I would have seen you run! What times were you posting?

Tomswheels
02-08-2013, 03:36 PM
Hey guys Rich and I will be up at the So-Cal challenge in Riverside on the cart track March 2nd if any of you PT guys want to join, should be lots a track time and some cool, different cars. We will be back at the Q on the 3rd... And yes Mark, you get faster each time we see you, how were the Chevelles times on Sunday?

Hank
02-08-2013, 05:36 PM
Anybody see this or interested? I don't need more than 1-2, honestly, as it's going to be packed as it is!

https://www.facebook.com/events/591438987538227/permalink/592314260784033/?notif_t=like

Your chance to be on TV (for maybe a few seconds!) and let San Diego know that muscle has a place to play!

PRO-66
02-08-2013, 05:42 PM
I started with a 69.8** 68.5** 67.9** 67.3** I plan on doing the March 2nd practice and 3rd race. Can't wait to see the Falcon up close Bryce.

soloracerSD
02-08-2013, 07:40 PM
2 of You guys should jump on what Hank has to offer..If you are close by and can make the drive.THanks for the info Hank. I think Mark Tylor and Bryce are closest.

About last weekend ..as far as laptimes.I think driving the track the other direct sunday made it one second slower on average..Rich drove both days.so did Hank I think.What do you think Hank?

Hank
02-09-2013, 05:43 AM
I drove two different cars each day so I can't really compare but I agree, Sunday felt slower by maybe a second.

I think I enjoyed the Pratice's counterclockwise layout more. The downhill going out as well as the esses after the slalom were a lot of fun. Surprisingly, this course was not bad for heavier high powered cars. That is, aside from two elements, the transitions weren't that demanding.

Tomswheels
02-09-2013, 08:19 AM
Yes that was a fun course for us V8 guys, and I was thinking as I drove it Saturday that I would be a little slower going the other direction...

soloracerSD
02-11-2013, 04:54 PM
Thats a great video of Adams karting track, Tom.I checked it out at Bryce's thread.Were you getting into third gear?
The last time I drove on a track with dirt on both sides was Willow Springs.It was just a course cruise during a Vintage race weekend lunch break.They didn't want us going over 90mph..I still did 110 in a couple spots that they wouldn't notice.

So you put new tires on the Mustang?

I saw Tyler in the video to..Looks like you guys will have fun!I hear Mark is going to.I'd get a kick out of checking it out.! Same weekend as the SCCA 5 minutes from my place.Where will you guys be March 3rd..:)

laptimes at last SCCA event were SaturdayToms 2013 Mustang 63sec. B Falcon 65.4 Tyler Fairlane 66.0 Rich 66.2 Sunday Rich 66.3 and Mark 67.So if sunday layout seemed to be a second slower around.You can almost think 3 cars in the 66s.The next time you guys meet could be real entertaining.

Tomswheels
02-11-2013, 10:28 PM
Thats a great video of Adams karting track, Tom.I checked it out at Bryce's thread.Were you getting into third gear?

Yes third gear in the 2013 in this video, about 85 mph: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oOBhwFXO0mA

So you put new tires on the Mustang?

New used Michelin Super Sports, 300 Treadware, 295/30/19 Front and 305/30/19 rear. Specifically bought them to try and be more competitive at Run to the coast on the El Toro Runways Feb 22 and 23rd. Vids from last years road course: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-eNXSIzm8P4
Autocross: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xA3jgjQPeWE
And speed stop: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3wJ4liiOTqA

I saw Tyler in the video to..Looks like you guys will have fun!I hear Mark is going to.I'd get a kick out of checking it out.! Same weekend as the SCCA 5 minutes from my place.
I know Rich, Mark, Alcino and I will make it up to the So Cal Challenge (www.socalchallenge.com) on March 2nd. Should be big fun this year as they have Chad who announces at Goodguys doing the play-by-play, which is awesome. Want to ride up and watch? Just let me know. Still working on Bryce, havent heard yet from Tyler or Charles.

Where will you guys be March 3rd..:)
I'm going to Palm Springs that Sat night, going to try and make it to the Q on the 3rd in the Cuda...

soloracerSD
02-12-2013, 08:10 AM
So you race Adams March 2nd all day then go to Palm Springs.Then back in San Diego to run the Cuda next day.A busy weekend!

The sunday SCCA results should be out anytime now.When you see them you will notice a lot of cars in SM.Mark was the only vintage muscle car.When all you guys run it could be 12 plus cars.I think some have noticed if you have a 4 seater with turbos and alot of suspension changes you don't have to run SU.You can run SM..Plus Facebook has brought in alot of new drivers.The fastest guy use to run in
F-Stock in a Pontiac.. Tom I would like to see if you can catch him in your Mustang.You won't even have to go home to get the Cuda.So race to see who has the best laptime in vintage or chase down the leader of a 12 car race.Compare your Saturday time with his sunday win time.When last weekend result show up/..

Matt will be at SOCALCHALLENGE also

soloracerSD
02-12-2013, 10:37 PM
There is a SCCA autocross next weekend in Fontana AAA Speedway Saturday and sunday..check out SOLO2.com

Some of the San Diego regulars are making the drive up there.

Our San Diego DB limit is 93db 50ft from track I hear theirs is 100db