PDA

View Full Version : Idler Arm vs Pitman Arm Length

BuzzKillian
08-26-2012, 12:41 PM
I am working on the front suspenson of my Camaro. When I originally did my LS engine swap, I modified the stock F-body oil pan using clearances for stock steering componants. With the stock Control arms everything cleared fine.I used a Z-28 pitman arm (5 7/8" advertised length) and the original idler arm. I noticed the drag link wasn't exactly paralel with the frame crossmember. I know the other pitman arm available is 1/2" shorter. The shorter arm would make it paralel, but cause more clearance issues now. SO... My question is, Does anybody know if a longer idler arm is made to match the pitman arm?

The problem I'm having is, now that I have installed the Tru-Turn System and SPC control arms. The drag link add-on for Tru-Turn now hits my oil pan and the steering arm stops don't hit before the tires rub the frame hard. I can solve the tire rubbing problem by welding some stops on the control arms. But I thought a longer Idler would help also with the oil pan problem.

MrQuick
08-26-2012, 05:04 PM
http://www.pozziracing.com/camaro_steering.htm#Steering arm lengths and part numbers good info from the man....scroll down for a part number....measure your idler arm.

BuzzKillian
08-27-2012, 05:36 PM
Thank You! That's exactly what I was looking for!