PDA

View Full Version : Prepping frame for painting

Mach Par
08-22-2012, 10:44 AM
Ok, I've gotten my t-37's frame stripped all the way down to bare metal. I've been looking at Eastwood's website on their chassis paint. I'm a bit confused on how to prep the frame so that the paint will stay on for a long time. Anybody have a step by step on how to get everything looking perfect? Thanks,

Ben

ProTourGSX
08-22-2012, 11:15 AM
This may help you for step-by-step for frame prep:
Eastwood Rustproof:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=h5fFFYGjNIc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=OvgkQK0g-n8

Easwood Chassis Black:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=gGo6ns2R6kI

From my understanding, in this order:
Rust removal (abrasive; sandblasting, wire brush/wheel/etc. or chemical; spray or brush-on applications)
PRE (grease/oil/contaminant removal)
Rust Encapsulator (basically rust sealer, primer coat)
Chassis Black (finish coat)

NoMoneyZ
08-27-2012, 11:28 AM
I used the POR15 products and couldn't be happier. After the frame was cleaned up with a wire wheel, I used the marine clean degreaser to wash it. Then used the prep and ready, this leaves a zinc coating on the metal which helps the paint stick to metal better. Then covered in two coats of POR15. Went on really smooth with a brush. Still need to top coat it with chassis black.

GNon18s
08-27-2012, 05:16 PM
I just used Eastwood "ceramic chassis black" on my floor pan. I started with bare metal, then sprayed a coat of PPG Epoxy primer (DP90LF), then top coated with the Chassis black.

gillkustomz
11-09-2012, 12:14 AM
I also went with POR15 and am happy with the results as well. I had the whole car media blasted, degreased with Marine Clean, then etched with Metal Ready. Once dry, I applied 2 coats of POR 15 rust preventive paint and one coat of POR 15 Chassis Coat semi gloss black. Looks great. I am aware that it is ok to eliminate the use of Metal Ready on media blasted panels and some may see it as overkill but the last thing i wanted was a paint adhesion issue on the undercarriage once the car is complete. You have 1 chance to do it right.

redss86
11-28-2012, 09:56 PM
I have yet to finish my frame, but when I do, I am going to use a direct to metal paint form PPG's industrial line of paint. I dont have the number handy, but I can get it tomorrow if anybody wants it. I used this on my Dad's car trailer, and it turned out VERY nice. It is to be applied over sand blasted metal. It recommends a certain "grit" abrasive. I just used Silica Sand in a pressurized blaster to do the trailer. Then I blew it off and started painting.

Here are some pics of the trailer right after painting. This is some very durable paint.

projex
12-24-2012, 01:28 PM
+1 on the POR, their Chassis Black is a satin black that looks factory - Nice look, and really durable.
For extra rust protection apply POR-15 as a base then Chassis Black as a top coat per directions. Sprays well at 10 -15% thinning with POR solvent.