PDA

View Full Version : Advice on choosing fab shop

nkopper
07-27-2005, 07:29 AM
Due to the possibility of moving back south in the next few months and a severe lack of free time, I am looking for a local fab shop to complete the minitub on my Camaro. I spoke with a chassis builder/welder who was highly recommended by the owner of the local PPG store store this morning. He quoted me about $2,000 to complete the minitub and replace the outer wheel housings at the same time if I bring him the supplies (DSE minitub kit and outer wheel housings). He has minitubbed several Camaro's including his own and his work looks good from what I have seen. He also builds roll cages and custom rearends for lots of circle track and drag racers in the area. I have never dealt with a fab shop in the past since I have always done my own work, so I would like a little advice on questions to ask before entrusting my car to someone, such as payment (give a down payment or wait until the work is done), time frame, quality of work, etc.

If this local shop doesn't work out, does anyone know of a reputable shop within reasonable driving distance of Muncie that could help?

Thanks!

Nathan

Camaro Zach
07-27-2005, 09:48 AM
where in the south are you moving?

nkopper
07-27-2005, 10:23 AM
I've applied for several jobs in the Tulsa and Dallas areas.

Nathan

Camaro Zach
07-27-2005, 01:26 PM
you will probably pay half upfront or atleast a %. And how fast it gets done really depends on the shop and how much other work they have. I would say atleast a week or two.

I am about 4 hours south of Dallas and would be happy to minitub your car if you dont find a shop. I have minitubed mine, put on quarters, and alot of other sheetmetal work.

Travis B
07-27-2005, 01:35 PM
Im two hours away from tulsa I'll do it for half that! If you supply all the parts!

rocketman
07-27-2005, 08:03 PM
i would go with travis i have seen his work it kick ass.

indyjps
07-27-2005, 11:52 PM
ask around @ the track. wherever theres racing theres fabricators.

nkopper
07-28-2005, 05:44 AM
If one of the jobs work out, I would be glad to take either one of you up on the offers. The only problem is I have already started on the passenger side and have the inner and outer wheel housings removed and the frame rail sectioned but don't have any closeouts welded in yet. I would be a little nervous about twisting the body while strapping the car to the trailer. Would it be safe to trailer it like this?

Even if we don't move in the near future, I might consider your offer, Travis. I've called several fab shops in the Indianapolis area. All have quoted me anywhere from $2000 to $5000 if I supply the parts!

Nathan

Travis B
07-28-2005, 06:25 AM
If one of the jobs work out, I would be glad to take either one of you up on the offers. The only problem is I have already started on the passenger side and have the inner and outer wheel housings removed and the frame rail sectioned but don't have any closeouts welded in yet. I would be a little nervous about twisting the body while strapping the car to the trailer. Would it be safe to trailer it like this?

Even if we don't move in the near future, I might consider your offer, Travis. I've called several fab shops in the Indianapolis area. All have quoted me anywhere from $2000 to $5000 if I supply the parts!

Nathan

Well 2,000 sounds a little steep to me....however I have not done a DSE mini tub we always just build tubs! LEt me know If we can help

Thanks for the kind words Jeremy :headbang:

Camaro Zach
07-28-2005, 07:07 AM
$2,000 sounds pretty steep to me too.

When you strap it down on the trailer strap down the axle and dont pull down on the body behind the rearend.

Steve1968LS2
07-28-2005, 08:51 AM
Best advice.. go to events and ask people where they got their work done and how it went..

Never take the word of the shop.. testimonials are KING..

Best of luck!

Steve1968LS2
07-28-2005, 08:52 AM
Im two hours away from tulsa I'll do it for half that! If you supply all the parts!

Wish you were closer to me.. why are all the good shops so far away.. lol

MuscleRodz
07-28-2005, 10:20 AM
The guy who worked on my car is in Enid, OK, 2 hours west of Tulsa, Steve Cook in OKC, And probably a couple others you could talk to. Moving it should not be a problem.

Mike

Travis B
07-28-2005, 01:54 PM
The guy who worked on my car is in Enid, OK, 2 hours west of Tulsa, Steve Cook in OKC, And probably a couple others you could talk to. Moving it should not be a problem.

Mike

Steve Cook is really good....
the yellow and white 55 is probably my favorite car he has done

Travis B
07-28-2005, 01:56 PM
Wish you were closer to me.. why are all the good shops so far away.. lol

We have a trailer steve.... :naughty:

SatisTraction
07-29-2005, 04:49 PM
i would just make the frame close out and throw it on a trailer. the close out is really easy to make. i made and installed mine in about 40 minutes. traced the template (made it larger on purpose), cut it out with a torch. hammered it on a peice of heavy pipe, test fit and made a couple grinds. welded it in.

then trailer away!!!

ProdigyCustoms
07-29-2005, 05:58 PM
I am going to sublet all my mini tub work to Travis. For $1000 I will have you do my own car.

SatisTraction
07-29-2005, 06:02 PM
yea, that is CHEAP! i think the $2000 is still a little low.

indyjps
08-11-2005, 01:03 AM
i just noticed you are in muncie, theres a resto shop in brownsburg, cant remember the name but he's a member on yenko.net, he may be able to help you out. i havent had any work done in the area yet so i cant recommend anyone.