PDA

View Full Version : Please help in my Wiring Kit Decision for my '68 Camaro...

Tim_in_NC
07-27-2005, 06:07 AM
Hi Guys,

It's getting time to begin wiring up my '68 Camaro and I've been looking around at which wiring kit would be best...

I either going with the American Autowire kit (about $450 shipped) or either a Painless Wiring system...

The setup is a Carbed 383 with ATI Procharger, aftermarket CD player, MSD ignition, T-56 6 speed, electric water pump, electric fuel pump, electric fan, autometer gauges in the dash, etc...

I've heard that the Autowire kit is very nice and complete but might not be the easiest to convert for all the mods...
I appears from looking at what all comes with the 2 different manufacturer's kits, that the Autowire comes with much more...maybe it's just me...

If I do choose the Painless Route, I found a kit for a '68 Camaro - Part #20101 ($380 Shipped)...Would this be fine or should I go with a universal kit... The 18 circuit kit to allow for possible future upgrades and the kit that has the ignition on the dash - Part #10202 ($310 shipped) ... I know that I'll need either 1 or 2 30 amp relays (Part #30101) for my LS1 Electric Fans and a relay for my Aeromotive Fuel Pump (Part #50102)...What other wiring would I need to completely rewire this car???

Any help making my decision will be appreciated...

Thanks,
TIM

73z-6sp
07-27-2005, 07:05 AM
I've been thinking the same thing. What is the difference between the Painless Universal and Muscle car harnesses? (Not the 68 specific harness) I like the idea of the Autowire kit but I understand it to be a more original style harness? Meaning it has the connections already in place for things like a/c and dash which would not work for you or me because of the aftermarket guages. Let me know which way you go. I will be ordering one in the next few weeks so it would be nice to have other opinions.

Patrick Burrell
07-27-2005, 11:41 AM
I talked to the American Autowire guys at the Columbus GoodGuys event a few weeks ago. They've got a new wiring harness series called Classic Update that contains enough components to handle all the original equipment as well as a large number of the popular aftermarket products (Vintage Air, Autometer, etc). So it will support any combination of components from all factory to all aftermarket. Check it out at http://www.americanautowire.com/products/classic_series_kits.cfm.

I talked to Stacy from Detroit Speed about this setup to get her opinion. She said that the American Autowire guys went out to DSE's shop to get their input on what a modern wiring harness for musclecars would need to support. That sounded pretty good to me.

I am going to use one of these harnesses in my 69 Camaro.

Patrick
'69 Z/28 Camaro
Built with my dad 1981-83
Built with my son 2003-??

chufham
07-27-2005, 05:52 PM
Here's another place to check out I plan on getting a wiring harness from this place called EZ Wiring.I don't know if this is what you are looking for but might be worth checking out for what you might need.

http://www.ezwiring.com/

Tim_in_NC
07-28-2005, 03:36 AM
Has anyone used this Autowire Classic Update kit?

I'd like to hear your thoughts...

-TIM

shanekennedy
07-28-2005, 04:42 AM
i installed the american autowire classic update. had no problems. it had all needed terminals & connectors. even had ignition, dimmer switch, & headlight switch. it had provisions for aftermarket guages, electric raidator fan, aftermarket stero, modern alternator (w/ built-in regulator), etc. fuse panel has additional connectors for battery & ignition connections. wires were all individually labeled. bought mine from classic industries during 1 of their 20% off sales. there used to be a guy on ebay who carried them also.

Tim_in_NC
07-28-2005, 04:55 AM
Thanks Shane...

Sounds like a PIMP piece!!!

Maybe I'll have to give it a try...

-TIM

AAW
07-28-2005, 05:13 AM
I hope the images below in this reply enable you to see the picture of the kit. This is a .pdf from our catalog. I thought it might prove useful in your decision...
Theresa
American Autowire

(if you can't open it for any reason, email me your address and I will forward it to you - [email protected])

jeffandre
07-28-2005, 09:04 PM
Thanks for being a supporter of the best site on the Net! I will be calling you when I am ready for my 71 Camaro harness needs.