PDA

View Full Version : chassisworks A-body spindle on g-body

806spd
08-16-2012, 04:53 AM
http://www.cachassisworks.com/p-1215-camaro-67-69-chevelle-64-72-nova-68-74-2-drop-tall-upright-spindle.aspx

These look like an effective solution to the expensive AFX spindles and they are way lighter than the B-body spindles I currently have. I am wonder if I can get these to work and if i do will I be better off than the B-body. Since the AFX spindle is the same between the G-body and the A,X,F except for the ball joint tapers and steering arms i would think that this would work.

Those who have tried, does the A-body spindle work on a G-body?

To be specific, do the ball joint tapers need to be changed to g-body tapers? I currently have b-body spindles so I might have to change the top ball joint or machine the spindle for b-body taper on the upper.

Is the upper ball joint at the right angle so that it doesn't bind at full travel? that way I can reuse my upper A arms.

With 4-5 degrees of caster, will the A-body steering arms work or at least are they high enough to use a bumpsteer kit to adjust the bumpsteer?

How will the steering arms effect ackerman angle and ratio?

Can I use the AFX bolt on G-body steering arms on these spindles?

I like the way the car handles with the B-body spindles but the bumpsteer makes it hard to place the car accurately at auto crosses and I would like to reduce the weight of the car but don't want to spend thousands on the AFX. I could get some G-body spindles and use the SC&C stage II plus but if I am going to get spindles I might as well get the lightest ones I can.

csouth
08-16-2012, 07:00 AM
I would ask Mark at SC&C if I were you since he has done some consulting with ATS and CA. He would be able to tell you if those are a viable alternative and if not why? One think I've learned from many conversations with him is you find out what is best for your budget and the pros/cons of any solution he offers.

Marcus SC&C
08-17-2012, 07:30 AM
I totally agree it would be great to see a low cost, geometry correction spindle for G bodys! There are some issues with trying to make this spindle the one though. If it was a really good idea we`d do it. LOL! First off AFX forgings may be the same between A and G body but don`t assume the geometry is. When changing tapers the plunge depth and installed height of the joints is also adjusted. G body spindles are slightly taller than `64-`72 A body ones after all. AFX steering arms are different as well. The BJ/tie rod tapers are different of course, you could run `64-`72 A body upper ball joints but A body lowers will just fall into your lower A arms as the G body housings are larger in dia. You`d need to run `64-`72 Chevelle tie rod ends too. If you can get the spindles mounted on the car the spindle is 2" drop, which promotes wheel clearance issues and precludes the use of common performance lowering springs because the total drop is too low for the car to be drivable in most cases. Stock upper A arms (or stock geometry tubular ones for that matter) will be in real danger of binding the upper ball joints in bump and properly aligning it will be very problematic. This is aggravated by the fact that A and G body spindles have different ball joint axis inclinations, thus requiring different length arms to get a comparable alignment. If you get them on the car, and if you change the upper A arms to get a good alignment then we still have a steering issue. The bumpsteer inherent in the B swap is caused by the steering arms/outter tie rod ends being much too low in relation to the rest of the steering linkage. The steering arm holes in the CW spindles are lowered from stock location about the same amount, preserving the bump steer problem you want to resolve in the first place. D`oh! :pat: So what to do?
If you want a low buck solution with better brakes try a set of S10 Blazer ZQ8 spindles. They have brakes roughly comparable to what you have (the rotors not as large but they have decent 2 piston calipers) and are easy to upgrade to C5/C6 Corvette brakes or aftermarket equivalent. They`re cheap on EBay, no drop to preserve clearance and spring choices,made in USA by GM and combined with a Stage 2-Plus they fix all of the G Bodys geometry and alignment issues very neatly without creating any new problems. Better still the system is easy, plug and play. :twothumbs As always if you have any questions please feel free to give a call for more information. Thanks, Mark SC&C

CruizinKev
08-17-2012, 11:19 PM
:twothumbs thats what I did. S10 blazer spindles n hubs along with KORE3 corvette c5 adapter brackets and stock corvette c5 13" rotors & calipers. SPC upper a-arms and UMI performance lower arms :cheers: