PDA

View Full Version : What do you know about data logging?

dontlifttoshift
08-15-2012, 10:12 AM
I have been researching data loggers lately. I would like to accelerate the learning curve as a driver and setup guy and I think the information would be valuable, to say the least. Mostly autocross with track days and PT events mixed in.

I have no interest in an app based setup, would really like a dedicated device. If I could take it to different cars that would be a huge plus.

From what I see the DL1 is the standard in the industry but I have been looking at this http://www.race-technology.com/ax22_8_938.html Easy in and out, obdII compatible, GPS, and digital accelerometers.....from what I can tell it uses the same software as the DL1. I also think you can pair that up with their video4 and overlay information on the video with up to 3 camera inputs.

Anyone with direct or general experience regarding product from race technology or data logging in general?

Mateospeed
02-11-2013, 08:19 AM
Well, it depends on what you're looking to accomplish - do you want the ability to track the overall movement of the car, or do you want to go deeper? For instance, are you looking at throttle and brake position sensors, shock travel pots, engine parameter sensors (speed, pressures, temp), etc?

In my racecar (Spec Miata) I use a Traqmate. It's self-contained, and easily transported between vehicles if you mount an antenna on each. You can even run it off battery power if you so desire. The downside of a system like that is it doesn't give you individual component data logging (suspension, engine, pedals, etc.), so it may or may not fit your needs. Also, Traqmate in specific has a relatively low data collection rate - about 1Hz. It's enough for what I'm doing (which is relatively highly scrutinized between different cars and drivers), but may not be for everyone.

So, I'll answer your question with a question - what do you want to do? I've run several systems, and setup several more. I'm by no means an expert, but I have some experience. :-)
-Matt

dontlifttoshift
02-11-2013, 10:28 AM
When I posted that I really didn't know what I was looking for. I have slowly been educating myself on the subject and realize there is a long way to go. I determined that video might be the least important thing. I got a screaming deal on a DL1 and will be setting that up with the obdII cable and the built in GPS and that should give more than enough information at this point to try and decipher.

A friend of mine put it best, " you can gather all the information you want, but if you can't interpret it, it's all useless" So for now we will be looking at the accelerometers, GPS, throttle position, and rpm and really concentrating on the driver side of things.

Mateospeed
02-13-2013, 06:51 AM
really concentrating on the driver side of things.

Best idea I've ever heard! :)

David Pozzi
02-18-2013, 10:45 AM
Tracking mph everywhere is the most useful. Coupling it with video will show you which laps were wide open & which you were following a slower car. You can overload yourself looking at all kinds of other data.