PDA

View Full Version : Who makes a good set of ramps?

Ralph LoGrasso
07-26-2005, 03:00 PM
Hey guys,

I'm in need of a good set of drive-on ramps for my Camaro. The car is just too low to work on without ramps. I've seen some really nice metal ramps that looked kind of like a ladder turned on edge. They had rungs where it looked like you could bring the car to the level you wanted, and let it sit. I'm looking for something like that, or just a nice set of metal ramps to get the car a foot or two off the ground. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

MrQuick
07-26-2005, 10:27 PM
Allen can make you a nice set...real cheap too! yuk yuk

You can weld, just buy some 2" angle and start cutting.

Ralph LoGrasso
07-27-2005, 01:17 PM
Allen can make you a nice set...real cheap too! yuk yuk

:scared:

You can weld, just buy some 2" angle and start cutting.

That's what I was thinking of doing. I'm just not sure if it's worth the hassle of getting my uncle's 220, not sure the 110 can handle it. If I can't find what I'm looking for anywhere, I may have to cut and weld and cut and weld a few more times until i have a set!

TPI Monte SS
07-28-2005, 03:30 PM
Have you tried the Rhino ramps? You can find them at AutoZone and Pep Boys. The front of my Monte is pretty low (and the fenders are looooooong), and it clears fine.

Ralph LoGrasso
07-28-2005, 05:08 PM
Steve,

I've seen those and was considering buying them, but I want something that will get the car up really high. I'll try to post a picture of what I'm looking for.

Ralph LoGrasso
07-28-2005, 05:15 PM
I found a picture of the ramps on ls1tech. I sent the guy who posted it a PM, hopefully he can tell me who makes these bad boys:
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2005/07/High4s-1.jpg
Picture originally posted by Stang Killer on LS1tech.com

derekf
07-28-2005, 05:23 PM
Something about that picture just fills me with fear.

I think it's the jackstands-on-stands. I know the engine has to come out from the bottom on those cars, but damn.

Ralph LoGrasso
07-28-2005, 05:26 PM
There was a bunch of similar pics posted like this. You can pull the engine out normally from what I understand, but it's much, much easier like this. Most guys had the front of their cars held up with engine hoists.

parsonsj
07-31-2005, 08:24 AM
If you want to make some inexpensive ones yourself, go get some 2x8 (or 2x6 or 2x12) material from your local home supply. Figure out the length you need at the top of the ramp. Probably about 24". Then cut correspondingly longer pieces and screw them together to make a ramp. You don't really need to angle cut the ramp itself, but you can if you wish. Want a higher ramp? Add a layer to the bottom.

You can supplement it all with a tire stop (use 1x1 material), side braces, tire guides, etc. It's easy to make, safe, and customizable to fit your car. One thing to watch is to make sure the cupping side of the wood is facing down towards the garage floor on the bottom layer.

jp

dhardison
07-31-2005, 08:42 AM
I found a picture of the ramps on ls1tech. I sent the guy who posted it a PM, hopefully he can tell me who makes these bad boys:
Picture originally posted by Stang Killer on LS1tech.com

That pic looks like a disaster just waiting to happen. I understand the need to do it that way but geez..... :scared:

Ralph LoGrasso
07-31-2005, 01:18 PM
If you want to make some inexpensive ones yourself, go get some 2x8 (or 2x6 or 2x12) material from your local home supply. Figure out the length you need at the top of the ramp. Probably about 24". Then cut correspondingly longer pieces and screw them together to make a ramp. You don't really need to angle cut the ramp itself, but you can if you wish. Want a higher ramp? Add a layer to the bottom.

You can supplement it all with a tire stop (use 1x1 material), side braces, tire guides, etc. It's easy to make, safe, and customizable to fit your car. One thing to watch is to make sure the cupping side of the wood is facing down towards the garage floor on the bottom layer.

jp

Hmm, I hadn't thought about making them from wood. I've got some 2x8s sitting around from a job we just did, also. I may go the wood route since I won't have to worry about driving an hour to pick up a 220 mig.

harshman
07-31-2005, 03:07 PM
I’m not really sure why but this quote keeps sticking in my mind when I read this thread. Sorry.

“LUCKY!!! You ever taken it off any sweet jumps?”
Cut to Pedro Jumping… “you got like three feet of air that time”

Napolen Dinomite

Ralph LoGrasso
07-31-2005, 08:10 PM
I’m not really sure why but this quote keeps sticking in my mind when I read this thread. Sorry.

“LUCKY!!! You ever taken it off any sweet jumps?”
Cut to Pedro Jumping… “you got like three feet of air that time”

Napolen Dinomite

lol, I haven't seen that movie yet. I've hard it's pretty funny.

On another note, I'm going to attempt to build some ramps out of wood this week.

1 12ft 2x10, 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood and a couple of 2x4s should do the trick. I'm thinking 5.5" long, 12" high at the resting point, which will be about 12" long. 54" of incline should be enough to clear the lower valance and rear valance while going up the ramps. I talked to the guy on LS1tech, and he made those ramps, so looks like I'll have to do the same. I just don't feel like forking over a ton of money for steel.