PDA

View Full Version : Welding Forged parts?

alcino
07-26-2005, 02:57 PM
I had this idea to modify some spindles for better geometry. I hear machine shops weld on forged steel cranks and wondered if I could cut and weld on forged spindles with ease? Can it be MIGed or TIGed? Does this ruin the "heat treated" aspect and weaken the spindle? I was Just was wondering if this was a bad idea.

Alcino

Matt@RFR
07-26-2005, 03:17 PM
You need to find out what alloy it is first. But in general, forged steel is still steel. :) If it's a weldable alloy, you'll want to peen the weld as it cools, or stick it in an oven at 300º, shut the oven off and let it cool down slowly.

Peening means to tap the weld and the surrounding HAZ (heat affected zone) with a ball peen hammer, piece of flat bar, my puppy's noggin (it's hard enough, trust me), etc. This relieves stresses that tend to build up as the weld cools and shrinks.

If it's had any heat treating done to it, you will more than likely have to re heat treat.

Whatcha doin'?

alcino
07-26-2005, 04:43 PM
Hey Matt,

I was thinking of getting drop spindles and then moving the upper balljoint location up a bit to help camber gain. I also wanted to move other things, but need to do some research with software to know where I want to go. Just wondering if it was possible.

Also the alloy is heat treated 1045(heidts spindles).

Whats involved with heat treating?

Just wondering what I'm getting into.
alcino

sinned
07-26-2005, 04:52 PM
Al,

By the time you pay for spindles, pay someone to weld them, and then pay for the heat treating process you have paid for custom built spindles.

race-rodz-inc
07-26-2005, 06:15 PM
what about ball joint spacer/heim joint? seen it done a few times... but always on "race" cars. with that... the spindle hieght would be "tunable"

i dunno how practicle/safe it would be for a street car.... heim joint is gonna be stronger than the ball joint... but the bolt would be relying on sheer strength.

alcino
07-26-2005, 06:19 PM
Dennis
I have invested in a brake kit. Can I get custom spindles with the mustang II spindle( the part that the bearings and rotor slip on) so I dont have to get a new brake kit? And what do custom spindles go for?

Will look into Heim joints

This is starting to become a suspension thread

Alcino

Tig Man
07-26-2005, 06:21 PM
We used to cut the crap out of spindles in Winston Cup for years!! Just plain ole MIG! 100 % weld!! No smoke and mirrors.

Mark

alcino
07-26-2005, 06:22 PM
Tig man,
Thats what I want to hear. I can MIG.

Alcino

David Pozzi
07-30-2005, 12:56 PM
I cut down a Pinto spindle to use on a piece of farm equipment. I welded the spindle to a mild steel bracket with TIG but had cracking problems. I had to pre-heat the spindle and bracket and allow to cool very slowly, so watch out for cracks.

I"d avoid welding on a spindle if at all possible, find some other way to get what you want.