PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody make thinner throwout bearings?

DarkoNova
08-10-2012, 11:19 AM
Previous thread with video of the problem:

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?89152-Rattling-tapping-noise-from-TKO

Basically, I converted my TKO to a hydraulic clutch from American Powertrain. I can't find the paper with my measurements, but I know the clearance between the clutch fingers and the face of the throwout bearing wasn't up to spec, so I'm 95% sure that's the problem. I don't get why it only makes the noise in gear, though.

But anyway, does anybody make thinner throwout bearings? I don't have a special combo, so I don't see why I even have this problem, but I've done some searching and found that the general consensus is to stay away from McLeod bearings. I can't find the specs of the throwout bearing that APT uses (and it's freakin impossible to get a hold of them), but just browsing Summit's site, it looks like basically all hydraulic throwout bearings are the same size.

What size throwout bearing do Hurst-Drivelines and Keisler use? It has to be thinner if they don't even mention this as a possible problem. If it is, I'll probably just buy one from one of them. I don't want to go back to mechanical linkage, but if I can't find a thinner bearing, I'm probably just gonna junk the system and go back to stock. :Alchy:

DarkoNova
08-12-2012, 08:56 AM
Bump?

65-fastback
08-12-2012, 09:27 AM
Do you have the plate between your engine and trans?

DarkoNova
08-12-2012, 11:46 AM
What plate?

I put 1/4" spacers between the bellhousing and the tranny like the instructions suggested, but that still didn't help.

65-fastback
08-13-2012, 10:52 AM
then please contact Wally from Pro motion in Ft Lauderdale. He might be able to help you out.

American Powertrain
08-13-2012, 11:24 AM
Matt
What measurements did you get when you measured your bellhousing face to the fingers of the clutch?

DarkoNova
08-13-2012, 04:58 PM
Matt
What measurements did you get when you measured your bellhousing face to the fingers of the clutch?

2.498"

There's also a 2.412" on the paper with that measurement. I'm assuming that's the distance from the bearing face to the transmission face (apparently I didn't see the need to write down what each number was, just the number for the bellhousing face to clutch fingers :banghead:). How thick is the hydramax bearing?

American Powertrain
08-14-2012, 04:30 AM
Bearing size is not the issue. Its all in the set up. Here is our installation videos on how to set up the measurements.

http://youtu.be/NF6Fy-ANvJ4

http://youtu.be/vWz5e6IJ30U

Remember we have a 24 hour tech line and our guys are awesome at walking you through the entire set up from start to finish.

931-646-4836

DarkoNova
08-14-2012, 04:43 PM
How is bearing size not an issue? I watched those videos before installing the bearing and did exactly what was done in the video. The problem is when I do the formula, I end up with -1, so I have to move the bearing farther away from the clutch. With the 1/4" spacers I have more than the recommended airgap, yet the clutch engages and disengages just fine. So I don't know what's causing the noise. I guess I'm going to start pulling the tranny back out and we'll see what I find. :throw:

badazz81z28
08-15-2012, 12:39 PM
How is bearing size not an issue? I watched those videos before installing the bearing and did exactly what was done in the video. The problem is when I do the formula, I end up with -1, so I have to move the bearing farther away from the clutch. With the 1/4" spacers I have more than the recommended airgap, yet the clutch engages and disengages just fine. So I don't know what's causing the noise. I guess I'm going to start pulling the tranny back out and we'll see what I find. :throw:

Keisler warned me about that noise like that...I think its common

DarkoNova
08-15-2012, 05:31 PM
Really? It's weird that APT is the only company to mention there might be clearance issues on GM vehicles, and so far it looks like I'm the only person ever to have this problem.

The bearing height IS the issue if none of the other manufacturers even mention this problem. I got the tranny out and everything looks fine. Is it supposed to be acceptable to have this noise? I called APT's 24 hour customer service line and it went straight to voicemail, lol. 24 hours!

I'm seriously about to just go back to stock, this is pissing me off so freakin much. :throw: :throw: :throw:

DarkoNova
08-16-2012, 04:46 PM
Well, called another transmission conversion company. The phone rang once and they picked up. Imagine that! And I talked to the tech guy for literally an hour going over specs and measurements and everything. We found out that my clutch height is perfectly normal, and that the noise is because the bearing is riding on the fingers of the clutch. So despite what American Powertrain says, the bearing is the issue.

He recommended me a bearing that actually bolts to the transmission instead of sliding over the input shaft like the APT piece and was a whole .200" thinner, which is basically exactly the amount of space I need.

Problem is, that bearing is $400. I just spent more than that for the entire kit and I can't even use the bearing. So I'm just going to go back to stock and sell this kit. Apparently it will work fine if used with a scattershield, and if I'd known that, I wouldn't have gotten it in the first place.

American Powertrain
08-17-2012, 10:16 AM
Matt give Gray a call at APT or PM me your number so i can have him call you direct and I guarantee he can help you resolve this.