PDA

View Full Version : What would y'all recommend on a cut and buff

Duramaxpower09
08-08-2012, 08:29 PM
Ok my car is going to be going to the paint shop here really soon I will be using ppg and house of kolors paints on it with a good ppg clear and was wondering what y'all recommend to get a nice glass paint job the guy who is painting it wants to cut it like five times building up to a 6000 grit sand the body was all fully stripped and blocked to 1000 before paint any different buffing and cutting ideas to get that glass showcar paint look

HotRod47
08-09-2012, 01:28 PM
Not trying to be a jerk, but you wrote one big long sentence with no punctuation so I am having a hard time following it. So I hope I am answering your question properly.

First off I am not sure if you did a typo there, never heard of 6000 grit paper? Am I also reading that correctly, they sanded the car all the way to 1000 before color? Or sanded the base before clear with the 1000? I don't like to sand to 1000 before color, I am always afraid of having an adhesion issue. It's a little too smooth for me. Personal opinion I guess.

Also, what PPG clear is he using and how many coats? It does matter.

After the car has been cleared I sand it all down with 800 and let it sit and air out for a week. This lets the remaining solvent escape before you start to buff. Nothing worse than fully buffing a car only to have it die back afterword from the escaping solvent.

Then sand with 1000, then 1200, then 1500, then 2000 followed by 3m Trizact. I then buff using a wool pad and compound, a white foam pad to get any wool scratches out, a black pad with machine glaze and follow it with a blue pad and UltraFina. Show car finish every time. Tons of work, yes, but it is the way I have done it or years and have great results. Sam Foose, Chip's father taught me that method. Met him at a car show years ago.

Did the this 32 that way:

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

And when I did some repair work on this Camaro I did it the same way:

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Glenn

Duramaxpower09
08-09-2012, 02:15 PM
Sorry I wrote that off of my phone the primer was sanded to 600 then the first coat of paint that was sanded down to 1000 he is putting the next coat on as well and then clearing it with what he said as 8 layers. Now as to say what his layers are I can't tell you that and it's supposed to be ppgs best clear out it was expensive as all get out but I told him I wasn't going to half ass it. There is still some airbrush work that has to be done before the whole car can be cleared if I am correct he told me that the layers after clear should be cut at 1000 then 1200 1500 2000 then I believe 3000 then he was going to do the 3m finish pack as well

HotRod47
08-09-2012, 03:02 PM
8 coats of clear is excessive to me. I would never do it. But, I can't question what he is doing without knowing all the details. Like I said, I like to flatten it out with 800, then move on. Staring at 1000 isn't that far off so you should be good. If he really is doing 8 coats of clear though, he could probably start with 600 and still have plenty of clear leftover.

Thanks for not taking offense to my comment. Typing on phones can be a pain.

Good luck with your car, remember to post pictures. We all love pictures!!

Glenn

MuscleRodz
08-09-2012, 03:23 PM
I would not mix HOK with PPG or any other system for that matter. Asking for trouble

Duramaxpower09
08-09-2012, 09:13 PM
Thank you all for the comments they won't be mixed together just I couldn't get all the colors I wanted in ppg my airbrush work is hok and it is going over hok paint I will be sure to post pics and start a thread with my buildup as soon as I get my computer back freaking hard drive burned up in a month old computer and yes I feel 8 coats is excessive but I honestly don't know what his coat refers to some say 3 coats but they went over it twice in each coat so I'm not sure on that and last I hate typing on this dang phone lol it's killing me that and auto correct lol

keithq69
08-10-2012, 04:01 AM
I'm pretty sure when he said not to mix it he meant don't use a base from one manufacturer and a clear from another, not physically mixing the raw materials.
I agree, I'm not a professional painter, I have painted a few of my cars with a friend who is and one thing he taught me was to stick with one system from beginning till end.
You never know how different chemicals will react with each other and affect the color or even just cloud the clear.
Use a HOK clear.

Pro-Mo
08-13-2012, 12:37 PM
I was always taught 3 coats is the max at a time. Any more than that and youre asking for trouble.

Now when I have put more than three coats on Ive done three coats, let it dry over night, sanded with 600-800 then recleared it.