PDA

View Full Version : question about subs

lfdsteve
08-05-2012, 05:21 PM
Working on a 71 firebird. Plan is.to put two10 inch subs in trunk facing backwards, each in its own aprop sized enclosure. They will then be built into a false wall closing off the trunk from the rear seat. Do I need to port the.enclosures behind.this.false wall so the sound wave from the rear of the speaker gets into the car or will the wave from the front of the cone still fill the car ( not just the trunk:))
Make sense?
Thanx

Boostable
08-05-2012, 05:29 PM
No you do not have to port it so to speak, however are you using the back seat as part of the box or are you truly building an enclosed box? This can make a difference in the performance of the subs.

rogergrubb
08-05-2012, 05:37 PM
a sealed box is best if you want tight accurate sub response. use a ported box for powerful bass. a band pass box delivers maximum slam but very frequency limited. you can also just install a 10" "free air" sub in your rear dash if you want. it offers accurate / flat frequency response.

good luck,
roger

astroracer
08-05-2012, 05:44 PM
The "port" opening in a ported box does not direct the sound waves. It provides extra "air" for the sub to move while it is operating. Most ported boxes will provide a deeper "thumpier" bass then a sealed or bandpass box.
You'll need to see what the manufacturer of the sub recommends, and, know what you are buying. Some subs are designed to be in ported boxes. Some are designed to be used in sealed boxes. Boxes should be built within' 10% of the internal volume recommended by the manufacturer.
The great thing about subs is you don't have to point them in the listener's direction. You will hear (or feel) it's power.

You can put a cheap sub in the manufacturer-recommend enclosure and it WILL sound better than a top-of-the-line sub in a "thrown together" box.
Mark

lfdsteve
08-05-2012, 06:29 PM
Thanx. Yes, I built the boxes, one each according to the manufacturer's specs. Just used to pointing my speakers.towards the room I'm in. Sounds like I'm moving in the right direction.
Steve

Boostable
08-05-2012, 07:09 PM
Yes you are.. have fun with it.

astroracer
08-06-2012, 03:16 AM
Sounds like you are on top of it.
I built a small system in an '89 pickup. 8" ported subs in boxes under the seat, good dash speakers and a console that carried two 6 " midrange and two tweeters. Two small amps powered everything. I built the boxes to spec and they put out so much bass you could only listen to them for 15 minutes or so and you would start getting sick to your stomach.... :)
Mark

67rally
08-06-2012, 11:46 AM
I just did an install in my '67. I have two 12's in a sealed box facing the rear, with a closeout panel behind the rear seats that the amps are attached to.

The subs sound great, but they aren't quite as loud as when they were in my SUV. The sound waves will get into the cabin, but every layer of sound deader (or wood) will knock the spl down a bit. Each of my subs are getting 500w RMS, so they still kick plenty hard.