PDA

View Full Version : hydraulic hand brake

66larkgs
08-05-2012, 02:52 PM
anyone running hydraulic ebrake? i was having issues with my c6 internal ebrake setup and thinking it would look cleaner if i use a hand ebraek on my 66 skylark.. any tips pro's /con's

Thanks for you input..

zombiekiller
08-09-2012, 06:17 AM
anyone running hydraulic ebrake? i was having issues with my c6 internal ebrake setup and thinking it would look cleaner if i use a hand ebraek on my 66 skylark.. any tips pro's /con's

Thanks for you input..

I've run cutting brakes and line locks on rock crawlers. What you need to remember is that this will be STRICTLY a parking brake, unless you are going to run a seperate fluid cricuit to extra calipers.

It won't ever be an emergency brake. The point of an e-brake is to provide braking in the event of the loss of a hydraulic circuit. With a hydro brake you are relying on the same circuit to provide fluid to this extra brake. That circuit is a single point of failure. lose it and both the parking brake and normal brakes are gone.

some drifters use a hydro hand brake, but again, it is generally not regarded as an emergency brake unless the circuit is seperate.

You will also see pressure loss and the hydro parking brake lose clamping force over time, unless you buy quality parts/valves. not all are created equal.

For more info take a look at various 4wd forums and search for "cutting brake" .

gui67
08-21-2012, 08:07 AM
I am also interested to know it is available. (but with a separate circuit and a second pair of calipers on the rear discs).

GrabberGT
08-21-2012, 11:34 AM
I believe Brian Finch had one on his Camaro the last time I saw it. Maybe you could ping him for info.

Ripper
08-21-2012, 12:13 PM
You will also see pressure loss and the hydro parking brake lose clamping force over time, unless you buy quality parts/valves. not all are created equal.

I would say that you would have that problem even with quality parts. The pressure will drop over time.
Here in Europe, hydraulic handbrakes are used for drifting, rally and sometimes it's useful in autoX, but not much in the street because of the pressure drop problem. It's internal pressure losses in the master cylinder though (not in the caliper... obviously)

Here's how you hook it up (from google)
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2012/08/FactoryHandbrakeRemoval-1.jpg

It's probably a better idea to try to adapt one of those electrical e-brakes from a new car instead. Electrical wires are easier steel wires to route nice underneath the car... :)

zombiekiller
08-21-2012, 12:45 PM
I would say that you would have that problem even with quality parts. The pressure will drop over time.
Here in Europe, hydraulic handbrakes are used for drifting, rally and sometimes it's useful in autoX, but not much in the street because of the pressure drop problem. It's internal pressure losses in the master cylinder though (not in the caliper... obviously)

Here's how you hook it up (from google)
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2012/08/FactoryHandbrakeRemoval-1.jpg

It's probably a better idea to try to adapt one of those electrical e-brakes from a new car instead. Electrical wires are easier steel wires to route nice underneath the car... :)

It just depends on where you put your valve. The master is taken out of the equation when you run hydro valves "downstream" of the master.

Regardless, i put a hydro hand brake or cutting brakes in a performance enhancing category, not a safety/failsafe category.

If it were me, I'd run spot calipers and a cable instead of hydro for "emergency" or parking brakes.