PDA

View Full Version : Repop '69 Camaro Body Available!!

Josh
09-03-2004, 07:14 AM
Well a new era is coming to the street machine world as the first reproduction 1969 Camaro convertible body becomes available! With a price of $12,000 for a tub with doors and a deck lid, it aint cheap but hey, it's a '69 Camaro, well sort of. This is very cool, but I was suprised at the fact that the steel is stamped overseas. OER is at the helm of this offering along with Classic Industries. They seem to be promising tight tolerances and quality steel. This would be a change from the other repop parts they offer. Lets hope they are all they are supposed to be! I hear turn key vehicles are in the works as well.

andrewb70
09-03-2004, 07:17 AM
69 Camaro kit cars? Oh boy....

Andrew

MarkM66
09-03-2004, 07:58 AM
69 Camaro kit cars? Oh boy....

Andrew

I agree.

It does sound like a good way to get completely buried financially in a car though, :) .

If you're into that sort of thing.

TurboLark
09-03-2004, 08:19 AM
You can read all about it in the newest Hot Rod mag.

Shay
09-03-2004, 11:36 AM
I agree.

It does sound like a good way to get completely buried financially in a car though, :) .

If you're into that sort of thing.

Well they mentioned that a base turn key Camaro would start around 40K. People spend more than that on a new Corvette. I think it's really awesome. In the article it was mention provisions for a hardtop version aswell as possible run on 1 st gen Firebirds. Also they mentioned production runs of '67 Mustang and maybe in the future a 70 Cuda. Another questioned that was raised, and I admit I'm curious, is what impact will reproductions vehicles such as these, have on the value of the originals? I'm figuring not much. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Shay

Josh
09-03-2004, 12:44 PM
When full body kits were first available for 32 Fords and the like, there was a lot of resistance to these since they were not "real". Now it is so commonplace for a rod not to be original that people hardly notice or care. Part of this has to be due to the fact that there really are not any real cars left to be built, but the style is still timeless, so people build them from kits. I think this will happen to the '69 Camaro as well. You may be able to buy the real deal now for the same or less, but in 25 years?? The good thing to come out of this is it will help keep the hobby alive and thriving in the future. Just imagine; muscle cars become territory of the filthy rich only, and the young guys have nothing to build. Where do they go?..Tuner cars!! :eek:
Give me a kit '69 Camaro anyday over a Supra with a huge wing!

Ralph LoGrasso
09-03-2004, 01:52 PM
Well they mentioned that a base turn key Camaro would start around 40K. People spend more than that on a new Corvette. I think it's really awesome. In the article it was mention provisions for a hardtop version aswell as possible run on 1 st gen Firebirds. Also they mentioned production runs of '67 Mustang and maybe in the future a 70 Cuda. Another questioned that was raised, and I admit I'm curious, is what impact will reproductions vehicles such as these, have on the value of the originals? I'm figuring not much. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Shay

Base as in what? 350/Muncie 4 speed? I personally would never pay 40k for a base 69 Camaro kit car. I'd buy a slightly used '04 Z06 any day. By the time you built that car pro-touring style to compete with the Z, you'd be over 80k. Different strokes for different folks though. :)

A 70 Cuda would be a different story though, because of how much they cost :).

Lowend
09-03-2004, 04:54 PM
VFN has made a compete fiberglass body for years... Its not a very streety piece, but body's are nothing new :doh:

Pro-touring towncar
09-03-2004, 06:48 PM
only problem I see is that they have to meet emission standards and safety of a 2005 vehicle. being the car would be registered as a 2005 special construction. give me an older one anyday.

Tim

Nine Ball
09-03-2004, 07:16 PM
I know several guys that have spent more than $12K just to repair/replace rusty panels and floorpans on 1st gens. That seems like a reasonable price for a brand new canvass to build on. For those of us with '69 Camaros already, it would probably be cheaper to swap all of our good parts onto one of those new bodies than to fix/repair the original bodies. It would be much less time consuming as well.

Lowend
09-04-2004, 07:45 AM
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2004/09/678camcomp-1.jpg

JamesJ
09-04-2004, 09:12 AM
On the 32 Ford thing, that was correct everyone hated the idea of a repop body. But that just made the original go up. They just started to make the window moldings and they charge 2500 I think and now people wont take less then that for a decent pair of originals.

RobM
09-04-2004, 01:48 PM
im pretty sure the way kit cars work is they have to meet the emissions specs of the car they are modled after. plus i dont think the same rules aply for composit cars i.e. the ultima GTR, i doubt those things have many emission regulations i could be wrong though (does any body know the laws for sure?)

streetk14
09-04-2004, 04:22 PM
I think some of you guys are confusing 2 different things here. Classic industries is now offering a complete 69 convertible unibody, but this is not a "kit car". It is just another repro part like we all have on our cars. Although, it seems that you could probably build a 69 Camaro from the ground-up using reproduction parts!
On the other end of the spectrum are the cars being built by Vennom cars. This company is making fiberglass replicas of several musclecars including 69 camaros 66 novas 71 mustang mach1's and cudas. There's a whole article on them in Car Craft, but basically these are tube chassis replicas (like all the cobras out there). A complete rolling chassis is supposed to go for $80,000. I'll keep my real '68!

MoeBawlz
09-05-2004, 08:38 AM
My friend at D&R Classics is doin a lot of the work for this project...

He was tellin me that the place overseas is all outdoors, they just use cement slabs to put the machines on and they have it under tents.

first its the 69 Vert, then the 69 Coupe then 67-68 vert
then 67-68 coupe... thats the order that they will be produced in.

i guess they couldnt sell it as a NEW part they have to sell it as a "Replacement" to make it legal.

They will also be repoducing frames as well.

For those who fancy something other than a Camaro... there is talk about Chevelle, Malibu bodies comming out as well. And in the long run maybe even Fox body mustang. they have talked about doing a lot of stuff in the future so it should be cool to see what unfolds in the next few years...

Geeto67
09-05-2004, 02:22 PM
only problem I see is that they have to meet emission standards and safety of a 2005 vehicle. being the car would be registered as a 2005 special construction. give me an older one anyday.

This is completely wrong. As far as using the repro shell to build an entirely new camaro all you need to get a frame number (besides reciepts for all components on the car) is a manufacturer's certificate or statement of origin (MSO). streetk14 is right in that the body is a repro of oem sheetmetal and therefore would have to meet the safety standard of a 1969 camaro. However all that is required is an mso from the company that produces it (basically a certified reciept) for it to be registered as a kit car. Now registration of kit cars largely depends on the state. In states without emissions standards (louisiana for example) the car just has to conform to state safety laws which are pretty lax (working lights and sigals, seatbelts, etc...). In some states the year of the vehicle registration and emissions certification depended on the engine used. For example if you built a cobra kit car with a 1992 ford 5.0 liter then the car was titled as a 1992 ford, if you used a 1969 350 chevy the same cobra would be a 1969 chevy. Other states have recognized the popularity of kit cars and have allowed then to be registered as the same make and year of the car replicated, so you could register that glass 1923 tbucket as a 1923 ford, despite coming completely from a catalog. With the new camaros since some states will need an MSO anyway to allow the original vin to be transferred legally to the new body shell you will probably see a few of these cars floating around as completely new constructions registered as 1969 camaros but will differ from the originals in the vin number which will be GM issued for the originals and state issued for the new cars. Anyway that is the gist of it.

MarkM66
09-07-2004, 05:13 AM
I know several guys that have spent more than $12K just to repair/replace rusty panels and floorpans on 1st gens. That seems like a reasonable price for a brand new canvass to build on. For those of us with '69 Camaros already

And then they were totally burried in the car. Which is fine, they have what they like. But that's just not me.

THE PEARL CYCLONE
09-08-2004, 06:42 AM
I would glading pay $12,000. for this body, I started out with a poor condition 69 Camaro, by the time I added up all the time and labor to get the body ready for paint, I had well over $12,000. in it. Most people dont relize what it takes to restore these 30 year old plus cars. Ya, with the money it takes to restore these legendary cars you can buy say a Z06, but whats the fun in that, there is no more enjoyment in life then to bring these muscle cars back to life, esepically to a Pro Touring concept. Please check out my lasted 69 project, "The Pearl Cyclone"
go to. http://community.webshots.com/user/jimmanfred

Kenova
09-08-2004, 07:20 AM
Just finished reading the article in Hot Rod. I especially liked the last line; If you hate Camaros, you're screwed. :lmao:
Ken

JamesD
09-08-2004, 06:02 PM
did anyone notice that the concept drawing of the camaro had a rear spoiler that was a rip-off of tylers 50/50?

67Sally
09-09-2004, 03:08 AM
did anyone notice that the concept drawing of the camaro had a rear spoiler that was a rip-off of tylers 50/50?

That is exactly what my first impression was too. But, I do belive that that type of spoiler has been used on other cars before. I actually think that I saw something very similar to it on of all things an old a vechile from Japan.

Anyway, maybe they plan to buy the spoiler from Tyler's Company.

KacyZ28
09-09-2004, 03:02 PM
the first time i saw these was in an ebay auction i emailed the guy and he said there is a core charge of 4k on these until you send him yours

Ishmael
09-09-2004, 03:07 PM
I could be wrong but I think this body has to be a good thing. With all the babyboomers spending wads of cash on muscle cars the prices are going through the roof. There has got to be a bunch of them that would rather buy a new old camaro than monkey with an old one to get it perfect. This may at least slow the price increase. On top of that, the price increase is due to a fad and fads die. When these guys get bored of their new old camaros, mustangs and cudas, hopefully a few of us can pick them up and start touring an unmolested car.

harshman
09-09-2004, 04:09 PM
Ithe price increase is due to a fad and fads die.
I would respectfully disagree. The Camaro has always been an American icon and those who finally have enough money to but the car of their boyhood dreams are doing so. It stands to reason that the Camaro and other muscle cars will only increase in value because of this and the aftermarket manufactures are increasing their products. There is something an old muscle car gives you compared to the new vehicles that are out there.

KacyZ28
09-10-2004, 05:15 AM
if these are remanufactured bodies then why couldnt we put our vin tags on these cars it isnt any different than if i replaced every panel on my car

96Z28SS
09-10-2004, 07:24 AM
I first saw these bodies about a year ago on e-bay. I e-mailed them and the price of the shell was $6000 and there was no core charge. There was a waiting list already for them.
you can see pics of the body and a build up of complete 69 built with repo parts.

http://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/gallery.asp

Rob
www.nedyno.com
www.dynotune.org

Ishmael
09-10-2004, 03:42 PM
I would respectfully disagree. The Camaro has always been an American icon and those who finally have enough money to but the car of their boyhood dreams are doing so. It stands to reason that the Camaro and other muscle cars will only increase in value because of this and the aftermarket manufactures are increasing their products. There is something an old muscle car gives you compared to the new vehicles that are out there.

I don't disagree that the Camaro is an icon. However, it can't be that all these guys just got enough money to buy these big buck cars just in that last few years. How did they afford those suv's for their wives? I have to think that things like the ebay and Barret Jackson auctions are part of the reason these cars have just recently gone through the roof price wise. The top end cars get sold and that puts more pressure on the lower end cars-simple supply and demand. Sure they may have always wanted one but who could afford some of these cars other than the audi/beamer set? When you add the other the new old camaros into the mix you satiate some of the demand hopefully halting the price increase. Like I said, I know the camaro is an icon and I'm sure some of the new owners always wanted one. I just think its surprising that they all have the money to buy one now that the media is paying attention to them. I have a feeling the guys who are buying $50K cars and then rubbing them with diapers are the same guys who ran out and bought Harleys (another icon) when they stopped having a bad image and became upper middle class-chic.

JMarsa
09-10-2004, 07:11 PM
Saw this today at the newstand. Here's the link to the companythat makes the panels: http://www.dynacorn.com/ClassicBodies/trifold%20brochure.pdf

Article said that they make most of all the repop panels out there.

--JMarsa

yody
09-10-2004, 09:48 PM
hey pearl cyclone, you sure are bent on having everyone check out your car! I feel like i am getting spammed!! nice car btw

CAMAROBOY69
09-15-2004, 12:10 PM
I also said the same thing to my girlfiend.
I am surprised no one mentioned that the next car they are going to do a kit of is the 67 Mustang. :)
40k for a base Camaro does seem quite expensive. As most of us have done, you could build a decent pro-touring 69 camaro full of new sheetmetal for under 40k. And with a 6 speed, 400+hp engine, new interior, new rear end,...... It is a cool idea but seems a little high.

68RallySport
09-15-2004, 12:26 PM
Isnt fixin the old half the fun. Wheres the pride in i got my perfect body for 12k?
David

CAMAROBOY69
09-15-2004, 12:28 PM
Exactly!

MuscleRodz
09-15-2004, 02:43 PM
My question is where is everybody going to find newor even good convert top structure. If and when you do find one, they seem to run around $1000 bucks and that does not include all the little pieces.

Mike

ryans67deuce
09-16-2004, 01:50 PM
My question is where is everybody going to find newor even good convert top structure. If and when you do find one, they seem to run around $1000 bucks and that does not include all the little pieces.

Mike

According to the Dynacorn brochure, a new convertible top frame is included. Not included is the front end, trunk lid, doors, wiring, and upholstery. The brochure also states the full retail price "starts under $10,000." So that means its probably around $9,999.

Ryan

MuscleRodz
09-16-2004, 06:32 PM
That probably doesn't include cylinders, motors, ****tail shakers, and all the little parts which is where the money adds up.

Mike

I am not fond of this word sensor thing, it bleeped c o c k t a i l on me, but I can say damn! :banghead:

68 SuperRam
09-17-2004, 05:42 AM
I noticed last night that Classic Industires is offerring the 69 Conv body for $9,999.99. I wonder if the 20% Fall Sale Discount can work on this? :)

ProdigyCustoms
09-17-2004, 07:39 AM
A customer of mine, that is less then a qualified source, claims to have ordered one with the discount. I will believe it when I see it. I am still waiting to hear when they are coming in.