PDA

View Full Version : clear coating tail lights for sheen, durability, easy cleaning?

iadr
08-02-2012, 06:54 PM
I have heard a rumour that the idea of clear coating tail lights ran through the mini truck show world.

I was wondering if that was something some of the builders here are familiar with?

Vehicle in question has tail lights somewhat prone to fading, and I just bought a NOS pair. Unfortunately due to budget it will only be garaged seasonally. Clear coat has UV blockers...

I'm seriously considering this because I know how perfectly grind-and-clear works on late 80's / early 90's headlights.... but anyone who can confirm a prep procedure? It was not me who did those headlights and I am not in touch with him any longer...

CamaroAJ
08-02-2012, 08:10 PM
wet sand with 400 to get the letters and casting marks if any off then scotch bright them then use Bulldog spray adhesion promoter then clear them. I do these steps when i tint my tail lights but i do 2 parts clear 1 part black mixed. FWIW just clearing them isn't going to protect them from fading. the UV protection only protects the clear from yellowing.

astroracer
08-03-2012, 03:29 AM
I did this on the aftermarket lights I put on my truck. They had that black band around the outside where the seals are and they really stood out against the white paint. I sanded them down with 800 grit on a soft pad, masked the lenses and sprayed the black edges body color. Sanded them again to knock down the edge and then buried them in Nason clear. I did this while I was painting the truck. They still look great today! No fading or yellowing at all.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2012/08/album_pic_phppic_id562vi-1.jpg
Found another pic. These were done in '01...
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2012/08/100_0106vi-1.jpg
I used no adhesion promoters. as long as they are clean and oil free there should be no adhesion issues with the CC.
Mark

jlcustomz
08-03-2012, 03:19 PM
Haven't personally tried it yet (I will), But I have heard the uv protector in clear will protect the cleaned up clear plastic under it. I recently heard that sanding headlights removes whatever uv inhibitors that are in the top surface, & needs to be clearcoated to stay clear or will fade even faster. This matches my personal experience.