PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Rear End Gurus, step in!!

JEbrake
08-02-2012, 08:06 AM
So I'm not big on doing rear gear swaps since we are usually just putting in entire Fab 9's, but a customer with an 07 GT brought us gears and asked us to put them in. We told him we usually outsource that but the guy was out of town for a couple weeks. So he gave me the green light to try it myself and see what happened. So, I did my research, and tore down his old rear end. I pressed on the new bearings, and started reassembly to check backlash and contact pattern. After some side to side adjustment, I was satisfied with the way the carrier was sitting in there. So then I pulled that back out, put the pinion back together with a thin shim, tightened it down until the proper turning torque was achieved. I then used the yellow paste to check contact pattern. The drive side is hitting out on the heal, and the coast side is in on the toe. According to my research, that means the pinion need a thicker shim because it's too deep in the housing. So, I pulled it all back apart, put another shim on the pinion, reinstalled everything the same way and the pattern came in just a touch. But when I kept turning, the damn pinion is actually contacting the carrier case! From what I can see, I need more shims to get the pattern right, but the carrier case won't allow that. I'm stumped. Where am I going stupid at?