PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass hood or stock steel?

brownz
07-31-2012, 05:22 PM
I have a 1979 Z28 and have installed a 2 3/4in fiberglass cowl hood. I like it but really just like the stock look. simple and clean. The only issue I have befoe paint is what hood should I use? I really want to cut the weight of the stock hood off the car but that is not my main concern with the car as I added a ton of dynamat to the inside of car.

Should I run my stock steel hood or make the cowl hood fit well and save the weight?

Maybe get a stock flat hood and install the stock scoop? and a carbon fiber hood is not in the budget and not sure if its worth it when you paint it

jlcustomz
08-01-2012, 03:02 PM
Fiberglass hoods are one of the easiest ways to get weight off the front. A 2 3/4" cowl isn't too bulky looking, but that's your choice. I assume you're talking about the teardrop hood scoops , which were not functional unless you made them so. I think the stock teardrop scoops fit a hood that was indented for it, but I'm not 100% sure. I,d imagine someone in the aftermarket would have the whole teardrop hood& scoop in fiberglass.
Since you already have the cowl hood, you may want to gogle pics of cars with them painted up & decide if it may grow on you. It also has the advantage of allowing a taller air filter/intake, something else to consider.