PDA

View Full Version : Carter carb question

69lsxamx
07-31-2012, 05:20 PM
I have a 65 Buick riviera with the original cater carb I had it rebuilt by someone because I know very little about them. The problem I'm having is that it will take forever to crank after it has sat for a while unless you pour gas in the carb but after it cranks for the first time it fires right up. Is the carb loosing its prime or could it be the choke.

Randy67
08-01-2012, 05:18 AM
After it has sat for a while, take the top off to see how much fuel is in the bowls. Maybe it is leaking the fuel out while sitting?

SLO_Z28
08-01-2012, 04:29 PM
leaking the fuel out while sitting?
All carburated cars will do this. Were all just so used to fuel injection that it isnt the norm anymore.

69lsxamx
08-01-2012, 06:40 PM
Is there any fuel injection options for the nail head engine

rohrt
08-02-2012, 12:56 PM
Sounds like you may have a couple of things going on. You didn't say how long it sat but todays gas evaporates very quickly and a week of sitting in the garage can leave you carb bowl emptly. I know the Q-jet have well plugs in the bottom that are prone to leaking, intakes with exhaust crossover can cause the gass to boil out too.

Many people put a pusher pump back by the gas tank. Some times they are used it in conjunction with a mechanical fuel pump. then you can just flip a switch prime the carb and start right up.

69lsxamx
08-03-2012, 05:08 AM
It doesn't have to sit a week just overnight or a day.

TheJDMan
08-04-2012, 04:15 PM
I would suspect the choke. Normally you have to work the throttle pedal to allow the choke linkage to close the butterfly before you start cranking the engine. Like James said, people now days are accustomed to FI that starts without working the throttle.

69lsxamx
09-10-2012, 04:14 PM
Thanks I'll check to make sure the choke is working properly.