PDA

View Full Version : 2k primer won't dry

TBART70
07-31-2012, 04:40 PM
2k primer won't dry, it has been two weeks and it is still sticky. I think I added too much hardener to it when I mixed it. Anybody have an idea?

thanks
-Tom

Rod
07-31-2012, 05:28 PM
still sticky, is not enough hardener, to much hardener and its brittle more prone to chipping

LSX67
07-31-2012, 05:40 PM
What brand primer? If it's still tacky wipe it off with lacquer thinner.

snappytravis
07-31-2012, 07:55 PM
Yeppers, thinner and red scotchbrite to loosen it up a little sucks to be you! should be able to get plastic mixing cups at paint store for the next time you mix it good luck,

mcraw66chevy
07-31-2012, 09:04 PM
Take it off definitly not enough hardner use a measuring stick dont guess and those ez cups that have the measurements on them are not always correct . I was a paint rep for a long time you should never use a cup that is smaller in the bottom than top it messes up the amount of hardner . always use a paint can or something like that has strait up and down sides just to be safe . if you can remove with laquar thinner its not right . Cant tell you how many body shops i walked in that does this so dont feel bad professionels do it all the time .Dont guess the hardner its not worth it . as you might find out too soon

Blown73
07-31-2012, 09:20 PM
Just make sure you get it all off....you don't want to suffer later. The best paint jobs start in the prep!!

TBART70
08-01-2012, 04:32 AM
I used a paint measuring stick the first time and the second time. I know I did the ratio wrong the second time, I just don't know which way it was too much or too little. I am going to try an infrared (sp)
lamp, I can get it baked but I don't know if I should do that with the fiberglass hood.

Josh
08-01-2012, 04:37 AM
It needs to come off. The stuff does not "dry" , it reacts. Once all the hardener is reacted, that's all she wrote. No more hardening no matter how much heat. The purpose of bake lights are to just speed up the chemical reaction.
J

NorwayCharger
08-01-2012, 05:37 AM
It must come off, if not youre gonna be sorry ;-)
It can be too little hardner, or wrong hardner...Anyway do not take the easy way..It will come back an bite you in the ass.

TBART70
08-01-2012, 07:03 AM
Called the manufacturer directly, talked to the chemist. Too much hardener will make it sticky and gummy. He said not enough hardener, it would still dry eventually. He said people add more thinking it would dry faster and harder. That is not the case. I'm going to hit it with infrared and dry it in a heated paint booth. if it doesn't work I'll have to strip it somehow. I think that is what I did wrong, I mixed the first time 7 to 2 like it said but the more I think I did it 4 to 2 the second time. My fault.

Happyfunballs
08-02-2012, 05:10 AM
Buy the 5 gallon cans of lacquer thinner, it's cheaper in the long run. You'll also need lots and lots of paper towels. What product are you using that would want you to mix 7 to 2?

tooblue
08-02-2012, 06:15 AM
What product are you using that would want you to mix 7 to 2?

yahh I agree , those are some STRANGE ratios?? What product?

chops101
08-02-2012, 09:09 AM
Not only strange ratios, but a strange defiance to keep it on the car.

Takid455
08-02-2012, 10:27 AM
keep in mind, you (we) have have very unfavorable weather conditions for painting/ priming. too humid.

gearheads78
08-02-2012, 10:54 AM
There is no fixing this. It has to come off period. Even if your methods seem to work with the light and such it not right. Choose to take it off now by inself or later with a paint job.

TBART70
08-02-2012, 11:50 AM
It is the under side of my glass hood, took it too the body shop let them deal with it.
I had it in the back of my truck this morning got to the shop and it was even softer from the heat and humidity.