PDA

View Full Version : Holley DP idle mixture questions

Spooky
07-28-2012, 04:33 AM
Hey Gang, I did a search on this and did not find an answer that I was looking for, So.... I rebuilt a 4776 Holley 600 double pumper for my Camaro to replace one that I broke an ear off. I got it to run pretty good but when I turn in the idle mixture screws nothing happens including all the way in. I did a full rebuild with a Holley trick kit. every thing is new inside. carb was dipped and all passages were blown out with air. Did I miss something in rebuild? I have to rebuild another one so I can have a pair to put one on an old school Edelbrock STR 10 cross ram. I have not taken off the single carb intake yet so I can have each carb in the ball park so I don't have to mess with many adjustments until I have to tune it. Any Ideas? :confused:

Engine is a flat top 355 10.2 cr with 2.02 492 heads hydr roller comp 288 cam

Thanks
Scott

69 Camaro coupe

TheJDMan
07-28-2012, 08:40 PM
I also have a 4776. Are you certian your metering block gasket is correct? I ask that because I recently rebuilt my 4776 and used a Holley kit. The metering block gasket supplied in the kit was wrong. Luckily, I had some new correct metering block gaskets and used those instead of the ones in the kit. Next, I would check the secondary butterflys to make sure they are completely closed. My secondaries were open just a crack at idle which reduces the effectiveness of the idle screws. I backed out the secondary stop screw allowing the secondary butterflys to close completely and overall the carb is more responsive now.

Spooky
07-29-2012, 11:28 AM
Steve, thanks for the reply. Come to think of it, I think that is the problem. I did open the secondary throttle blades when I was cleaning it and to check the screw that adjusts the closing was frozen and probably didn't put it back to where it was. It has to be fully closed right?

Thanks again

Scott