PDA

View Full Version : Aerocatch hood latch install question

eaglzcirca33
07-23-2012, 05:59 PM
I have a 1970 Camaro that I'm pro touring. I'm installing the Aerocatch hood latches because I've gutted the original hood latch assembly due to the fact I needed the space for my innercooler and ac condensor. My Camaro is shaved so the flat sleek look of the Aerocatch latches seem to be the answer. I've got the locations marked and I need to cut the holes in the hood. The issue I have now is my hood has new paint. I was looking for suggestions for cutting through a hood with new paint. I was planning on using an air die grinder with a grinding wheel. The part that scares me is the heat generated when grinding. I plan on going extremely slow to reduce heat and cool with a wet rag. Will this method work without bubbling the paint? If anyone has any ideas let me know. Thanks!

Scotty G

MrQuick
07-23-2012, 09:04 PM
I'd use alot of yellow 3M tape and a little recip saw like this. https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Start your cut by drilling a 1/2" hole well inside your outside cut line.

If you must use a cut off wheel, start the cut by drilling a series of 1/8" holes to make a line. Cut off wheels generate the most heat starting a cut. If you already have a line started the cut off wheel will work faster thus generating less heat. Lots of tape.