PDA

View Full Version : MSD 6AL ignition box question

Jody SS
07-22-2012, 05:36 AM
I am going to use the MSD-8360 distributor with vacuum advance. Should I use the 6AL box or is it overkill/not needed?

My engine is a 1969 427 BBC.

Street driven an some autocross.

Thanks,

Jody

Bad Bowtie
07-22-2012, 06:00 AM
Jody,
If im not mistaken the two boxes are virtually the same with the only exception being the 6AL has rev limiter capabilities (which is a good thing in my book). It has a small port to allow you to plug in individual "chips" with different RPM limits such as 4000 , 4200, 4400 etc. or you can also buy a rotary style module that plugs into that same port that gives you multiple setting of rpms. Welcome to the site :twothumbs
BB

Fuelie Nova
07-22-2012, 02:25 PM
I am sure there will be many opinions on this... I have ran that setup with and without a 6AL box and could tell no difference on the street. For me its all about reliability and I chose not to run the box due to one less thing to worry about. My application is a 400 SBC with 525 HP and is street only.
Tom

Bad Bowtie
07-22-2012, 03:33 PM
Man did i totally misread that thread :hand: , like Tom said you will likely get varying opinions on this. Anything i've had that was performance oriented has always had a MSD box on it, though some of that was likely due to my heavier right foot. I always liked having the rev limiter with the 6AL and thought of it as cheap insurance. So for my $ .02 opinion... overkill naah ! :revto9k:

ehummelman
07-23-2012, 11:49 AM
I think the only difference is that with the box you'll get multiple sparks at lower rpm. You have a RPM limiter either way.

Booger
03-28-2013, 08:17 PM
I am sure there will be many opinions on this... I have ran that setup with and without a 6AL box and could tell no difference on the street. For me its all about reliability and I chose not to run the box due to one less thing to worry about. My application is a 400 SBC with 525 HP and is street only.
Tom

this^^^ I wouldn't waste my money on the ignition box