PDA

View Full Version : Shimming Wilwood Backing plates

TnBlkC230WZ
07-21-2012, 10:53 AM
I'm installing my rear disks which are Wilwood Dynapro 4 piston with e-brake. the problem is the caliper is not centered over the caliper, nor is the pad even against the rotor. I shimmed the top of the caliper to even the pad so there are no shims on the bottom and two shims on the top.

Now my caliper needs to move to the outside of the car .062 - .070 inch to allow the outer brake pad to slide in and center the caliper on the rotor. I think I can do this by putting a washer or two between the axle housing mounting flange and the backing plate. Is this allowed?

I can use two of the shims supplied with the kit to move the backing plate out or should I call Wilwood and find a different solution?

Ice Kub
07-21-2012, 11:41 AM
Your caliper mount should be equal top and bottom. What rear axle flange do you have? What is the axle offset? What brake kit do you have. Seems to me the hat offset might be wrong for your application.

diesel25lrs
07-21-2012, 11:55 AM
I had the same exact issue on my wilwood big brake kit.. I spoke with wilwood & they told me that was the thinnest plate they make! I had a buddy with a belt sander grind away about 1/16 & get it even with calipers- worked like a charm!

TnBlkC230WZ
07-21-2012, 11:57 AM
Not sure of the exact kit number, it was bought a few months ago, but the rotor part number are 160-9814-bk and 160-9815-bk which Wilwood says are for 2.81 offset. Do you think I need different rotors? I bought new Moser axles which may be causing the problem. That would simplify my life.

The axle is a GM 12 bolt with stock ends in a 71 Nova. The rear could be from a Camaro or Nova, but it is the correct width. I thought shimming the caliper was normal.

diesel25lrs
07-21-2012, 12:20 PM
My issue was that my caliper bracket was to far towards outside of car- this would not allow me to center my caliper over rotors. I could only get one brake pad in & the other would not slide in- pad was hitting rotor by 1/16 or a little more... I had to shave the bracket itself down- was only possible solution- had nothing to do with aftermarket strange 9" im running...

diesel25lrs
07-21-2012, 12:20 PM
Not sure if your having same issue or not but it sounds like it from above?

diesel25lrs
07-21-2012, 12:23 PM
If you read the directions- shimming is normal & mostly expected! I needed less...

TnBlkC230WZ
07-21-2012, 01:17 PM
I think shimming the calipers is normal, but I wasn't sure about the backing plates. I think the 2.75 offset rotors would solve most of the issues. The issue is on the left side. I was able to get the right side together. The outer pad was snug, but I could slide it in and out by hand.

I think my options are to put two shims into the top of the left baking plate and one shim in the bottom. In the right backing plate, one shim in the top and none in the bottom
OR
purchase a 2.75 offset rotor for the right side and live with the left.

I'm just not sure if it ok to shim the backing plates

Ice Kub
07-21-2012, 04:08 PM
Feel free to PM me.
I work for Wilwood and will assist you in solving the issue.

cpd004
10-24-2014, 10:37 AM
I am currently having this same issue. What solution were did you come up with? When I called, they insisted a shim kit would solve my problem. I have the 2.75" off set kit and need much more than that. The shim kit is listed to shim the caliper's and not the backing plate. Just under 3" from what I measured. Shimming the backing plate would work in theory, but not sure tech support fully understood the problem. I'm working on a 71 Firebird with an oem rear end as far as I know.