PDA

View Full Version : VOC: Volatile Organic Compounds

SkinsandJrfan
07-19-2012, 11:29 AM
I have been reading about paints and such and have noticed where a lot of people have been mentioning VOCs. I had no idea what it was so I googled it. It came back with Volatile Organic Compounds. I have also noticed where guys have made a point to mention how one paint has low VOCs versus another paint.

My questios are these: When it comes to having the paint on your car, does it make a difference to have paint with a low VOC count versus paint with a high VOC count? Is paint with a lower VOC count better than a paint with a higher VOC count? Does a clear have a VOC count and does it matter in the same manner as paint?

Thanks

LSX67
07-19-2012, 06:20 PM
It doesn't matter. VOCs are measured in ppm (parts per million) and this is what escapes into the air when spraying. Refinish systems are better now than ever, and getting better everyday with less VOCs. With a quality system and proper application you will get great results or choose a quality shop that is certified with the paint mfg that they use and you should receive a lifetime warranty. Less VOCs are good for the environment and take nothing away from the paint.

Mommy Wagon
07-19-2012, 06:31 PM
As a person whom has been extensively involved in the industrial coatings industry, I can tell you that the quality of a product means far more than the VOC rating.

The majority of the advancements in the coatings industry are in waterborne technologies, which maintain low VOC's. The evolution of solvent based or higher VOC products have slowed significantly.

If low VOC paints were an issue of concern some if the major automobile manufacturers whom have switched to this technology would not have done so knowing it could be a warranty nightmare. Some of the maufacturers that currently use these materials are premium brands, finish and longevity are a pride of the label.

Though for some things - automotive epoxy primer, self etching, etc, I do believe you are stuck with older technologies (I could be wrong). On the DTM (direct to metal) side for industrial coatings, PPG makes a waterborne product that is second to none, but the prep work, temperature, and humidity must be spot on when applied. I'm not saying use this, I am saying that it wouldn't surprise me if there were "equals" in the priming components for automotive as well.

In short, there are excellent and terrible products of both lower VOC and higher VOC varieties. The gauging of a product based on this alone cannot be done.

Ask some of the senior painters on the site for a product recomendation, they will steer you to what is right for the application - which is most important.

LSX67
07-19-2012, 07:17 PM
I agree, waterborne products have come along way. In the automotive industry we are using waterborne base coat but the clear coat is still solvent based. I love the waterborne base coat but it's not for the weekend at home painter (you need more specialized equipment to evaporate the water from the items being painted). Solvent based base coats are still available but are slowly being replaced with waterborne.

SkinsandJrfan
07-20-2012, 05:01 PM
Thanks guys. Just something I saw and had no clue about. Had no plans to base any paint choice based on that. Just something I was curious about.