PDA

View Full Version : Digi-Tail Issues!

ajs1luv
07-19-2012, 08:29 AM
I just purchased and installed rear L.e.d.'s tail lights in my 68 camaro. I followed the instructions, but some things I don't fully understand. Such as the meaning of" indexed"? The problem I'm having, turn signals will not flash, and Emergency signal will not flash. I did change to an electronic no load flasher(ground wire). Also, I connected the orange power wire to the wiring harness orange wire. This wire is connected to the my interior courtesy light bulb. Should I have put an inline fuse there? This is my first wiring job!!

carguy502
07-19-2012, 10:32 AM
Double check that the Orange wire for your dome light is actually power. In my 1969 Nova with a Painless harness, the white wire was the power wire. Once you have verified that the orange wire going into your digitails harness has 12v constant, check if your system functions.

If turn/hazard functions do not work, then you can test indexing. Indexing refers to the what terminal on your flashers receive 12v. On most grounded no-load flashers, the terminal labeled "X" needs to have the 12v power when your hazard/turn signals are active. Just use a multimeter and probe the terminals on the fuse block where the flashers go. Just a heads up, painless harnesses are known to have these terminals switched.

Good luck! When you get them running, I know you will love them!

Don

ajs1luv
07-19-2012, 10:54 AM
Don, thanks! Now would there be a difference if my harness is OEM?
Double check that the Orange wire for your dome light is actually power. In my 1969 Nova with a Painless harness, the white wire was the power wire. Once you have verified that the orange wire going into your digitails harness has 12v constant, check if your system functions.

If turn/hazard functions do not work, then you can test indexing. Indexing refers to the what terminal on your flashers receive 12v. On most grounded no-load flashers, the terminal labeled "X" needs to have the 12v power when your hazard/turn signals are active. Just use a multimeter and probe the terminals on the fuse block where the flashers go. Just a heads up, painless harnesses are known to have these terminals switched.

Good luck! When you get them running, I know you will love them!

Don

carguy502
07-19-2012, 11:05 AM
I don't know. My Chevelle still has the factory harness, but I cannot get to it to look. Maybe someone else could chime in?

Don

MuscleRodz
07-19-2012, 02:23 PM
On a factory harness you are suppose to tag into the orange power wire for the dome light in the back of the trunk. Secondly, make sure you have power on the pigtail coming off the no load flashers. third, did you tie the yellows and greens together for both sides as per instructions?

ajs1luv
07-19-2012, 03:28 PM
I ran the orange wire up front through my kick panel to my courtesy interior light(convertible). I need to check the no load flasher, and make sure I have power. And I tied in all wires.

On a factory harness you are suppose to tag into the orange power wire for the dome light in the back of the trunk. Secondly, make sure you have power on the pigtail coming off the no load flashers. third, did you tie the yellows and greens together for both sides as per instructions?

ajs1luv
07-22-2012, 11:49 PM
I checked everything again. Something strange happen. I did replace the no load flasher(with ground). The flasher works. But, the turn signal don't. Do I need to replace the turn signal flasher with a no load(grounded) flasher??

ROBS6T8
07-31-2012, 06:26 AM
I hope not! I only bought one no load flasher for mine. Not installed yet. It was my understanding you needed only one unless you were running LEDs up front also.

Roberts68
07-31-2012, 06:45 AM
That is my understanding as well Rob. I bought two no load flashers for mine as I also purchased the front LED's for my 68 standard grille.

As it is mine are residing in a box for awhile, but I did see a couple decent videos on YouTube, Auto Resto Mod's channel. They are sponsored by NPD.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTH_aeP7_O8&feature=plcp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk5dWfZRAeI&feature=plcp

shep
08-02-2012, 01:01 PM
Quick way to check using a test light, probe the turnsignal wire at the tail light. if your flashers require a load to work correctly the test light should be enough to get it working.

MuscleRodz
08-02-2012, 09:15 PM
I checked everything again. Something strange happen. I did replace the no load flasher(with ground). The flasher works. But, the turn signal don't. Do I need to replace the turn signal flasher with a no load(grounded) flasher??

Yes the turn flasher and emergency flasher are seperate which is why one works and one does not. Swap the other for a no load and should be good to go.

ROBS6T8
08-05-2012, 06:43 AM
I just installed mine yesterday. Look great and are very bright and noticeable!! My friend that was over was very impressed. I had originally put the no load in the lower position, no hazards or turn signals. Moved it up top and had hazards but issues with the turn signals. My harness for the column isn't the best and started messing with it. Got them intermitently. I just had the no load grounded half arse so I'll fix that today and move on looking for other issues. I hope it's an easy fix like that but I'm thinking not since I had the hazards. When I went to the garage to put the car back in I could hear "noises" coming from the fuse block like the signals were trying to work! The signal switch was in the middle position? Confused now...

Roberts68
08-05-2012, 07:09 AM
When I went to the garage to put the car back in I could hear "noises" coming from the fuse block like the signals were trying to work! The signal switch was in the middle position? Confused now...

Do me a favor and throw your master disconnect or pull a battery terminal when you leave her unattended until you get that resolved. It beats a drained battery... or worse. I'm not saying it has anything to do with the lights, just saying' it isn't right which you know. It sounds like a small short somewhere in there.

ROBS6T8
08-05-2012, 11:13 AM
Do me a favor and throw your master disconnect or pull a battery terminal when you leave her unattended until you get that resolved. It beats a drained battery... or worse. I'm not saying it has anything to do with the lights, just saying' it isn't right which you know. It sounds like a small short somewhere in there.

Oh I did! :twothumbs: I didn't want the car to come alive and be gone in the morning! :seizure: :)

ajs1luv
08-06-2012, 04:45 PM
Problem solved! Needed two grounded flashers. I called Digi-Tails and they had me switch the flasher(no load) from the turn signal to the 4 way flasher. Each time I'd switch the non-grounded flasher froze. I put two in, and now everything works!! I love it when a plan comes together!(smile) Thanks for every one's help!!
I hope not! I only bought one no load flasher for mine. Not installed yet. It was my understanding you needed only one unless you were running LEDs up front also.

ROBS6T8
08-07-2012, 09:05 AM
I'm glad you got it fixed. It might be time to call them for myself. I don't have time!!

ROBS6T8
04-25-2013, 04:08 PM
Just an update for anyone else having issues with LEDs. I too just installed the Digi-Tails LED up front. I already had the tail lights in and did not have any issues. I had two No-load flashers installed and I still did not have turn signals. Like mentioned above, aftermarket fuse blocks (Painless here) have the wires switched at the flasher. After pulling my hair out and trying everything under the sun, I called Spaghettin Engineering. They told me to switch the wires so the "X" prong on the flasher was getting the 12v. I did, it was an easy fix and it's a thing of beauty! :)