PDA

View Full Version : Fender removal - Bolt spinning?

FMG CAMARO
07-09-2012, 08:07 PM
I am trying to remove the drivers side fender on my 68 camaro. One of the bolts under the car behind the front wheel is spinning. The nut and the bolt are turning together. I can not get a wrench on the nut because it is pretty much in the fender. Is this common? How do you guys get this bolt out? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Rod
07-09-2012, 09:18 PM
that's not a regular nut you can hold with a wrench its a J-nut once they break they will spin forever you will probably have to cut the bolt head off

heres what a J-nut looks like

BigVin
07-10-2012, 02:34 AM
that's not a regular nut you can hold with a wrench its a J-nut once they break they will spin forever you will probably have to cut the bolt head off

heres what a J-nut looks like

+ 2

FMG CAMARO
07-10-2012, 04:46 AM
Thanks guys. I drilled a little hole in the inner fender to take a look. Unfortunately whover put this fender on used a regular nut, not the one pictured above. I guess I will have to either drill out the bolt head or make a bigger hole to get a socket on it since I am patching the inner fender anyways. Lets hope the passenger side has the OEM J-nut.

NOT A TA
07-10-2012, 05:21 AM
Grind the head off, trying to drill it will just spin it.

jbake
07-16-2012, 12:08 PM
Can u get a straight tip screw driver behind head of bolt or nut? Use screw driver as a pry bar to put on bolt while u try and remove bolt with wrench.

TheJDMan
07-24-2012, 03:22 PM
Grind the head off, trying to drill it will just spin it.

What he said!!!