PDA

View Full Version : Rust dimples? Pre rust bubble?

Inca_68
07-09-2012, 02:06 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm looking at a 68 Camaro that looks really nice. Inside and out. Every inch of the car looks near new. The guy has only owned it for a year and a half, and has restored it cosmetically – new carpet, electrical, fix the gauges, rocker panel molding, new hood, taillight trim, etc; real superficial stuff. He did add a cowl-induciton hood, and then painted the hood and top coated the car to match the rest of the paint. It's a pretty great job because I couldn't visibly notice the blending.

He allowed me to take a magnet to the car, over a paper towel, and everything look good, I found very minor filler on the left quarter right under the seam.

I did notice 2-3 very small bumps, the size of a pin head just below the left side of the rear window on the rear shelf. I noticed these very small bumps in 3 places on the rear shelf. On the left, on the center and on the right, all below the rear window. There were only a few of these bumps in each occurrence. The paint work he did was a year old, does this seem like a surface rust problem arising?

Because he didn't do the original paint, he doesn't have any pics showing the prep work or what it looks like under the paint. I scoured the rest of the body for more occurrences of these bumps, but I didn't see any.

He did mention that, when he bought the car, the trunk panel was rusty, so he replaced it.

I only had my camera phone so I was unable to get them to show up in a picture, I've asked him to take a picture of them for me so I will follow up with a post.

What does everyone think?

Thanks in advance.

rustomatic
07-09-2012, 04:21 PM
Asking price would be the major factor here for a remotely sound opinion to be determined. Everything came with filler...

astroracer
07-09-2012, 04:31 PM
Rust "pimpling" up under fresh paint would have me worried. Pimples like you are describing are usually forbearers of rust from the back side. I will make a wager that the tulip panel is toast and will need replacing.
Mark

Inca_68
07-09-2012, 05:19 PM
Asking price would be the major factor here for a remotely sound opinion to be determined. Everything came with filler...

Thanks!

Inca_68
07-09-2012, 05:20 PM
I was so bummed when I saw those 10 little pimples. :(