PDA

View Full Version : Pontiac 3400 V6 won't start after replacing head gaskets

DarkoNova
07-07-2012, 04:34 PM
The gf blew the head gaskets in her 2000 Grand Am GT with the 3.4L V6. We took it all apart, replaced the head gaskets, lower intake manifold gaskets, upper intake manifold gaskets, spark plugs, and plug wires. Got everything hooked back up (not entirely sure on a couple emission lines, but it should still start even if those weren't in the right spot), double checked the firing order, checked for spark by grounding a plug on the manifold. Not really sure how to check for gas, but before we pulled it all apart, it was definitely getting gas because I had her crank it with the plugs out and the fuel pump relay out to do a compression test and it was still spraying small amounts of fuel. We obviously put the relay back in lol.

We made sure the pushrods were in the right order, though apparently you don't have to mess with adjusting the rockers or valve lash and all you need to do is torque the rockers. Doesn't seem right to me, but that's what we did, and the engine turns over fine, just won't start. If I spray starting fluid in the throttle, it starts right up, but dies instantly.

Any ideas?

Trying to get this done before Monday so she'll have a car for work.

DarkoNova
07-08-2012, 03:02 PM
Bump?

Chevelle598bb
07-08-2012, 03:15 PM
Sounds like a fuel issue if it starts with starting fluid. Check fuel pressure at the rail and check to make sure the fuel line is not kinked.

JD'sTT55
07-09-2012, 11:28 AM
Did you get it running?

DarkoNova
07-10-2012, 10:46 PM
Yup. Didn't get it done in time because other non-car issues came up, but it ended up being the lines going to the injectors. They're rubber hoses that run between the block and the exhaust manifold before transitioning to hardlines going into the fuel rails. Apparently we twisted the hell out of the lines while moving them out of the way to take the intake off. We just had to take the upper intake off along with a few other things, unbolt the fuel rails, untwist the lines, and put everything back together.

And amazingly, we got all the emissions stuff hooked up correctly. The CEL was on before for a small emissions leak, but even after driving about 10 miles, there's no CEL. :smoke::smoke: