PDA

View Full Version : 69 camaro quarter panel(s) and rear shelf replacement

1bad68cat
07-04-2012, 10:24 PM
Began replacing full quarters and rear shelf on a 69 camaro. Have a few questions.
1. Where are the spot welds holding the lower portion of the quarter panel @ the tail light panel? Will the tail light panel need to come out?
2. The repo panels I'm using do not have the raised lip along the drip rail like the factory. Any suggestions on how to replicate this feature on the repo panels?
3. I'm replacing a panel @ a time to maintain panel alignment. Is this a good idea or should I cut all the panels out and install/adjust the new panels to each other?

daytonayellaz
07-05-2012, 02:11 PM
Began replacing full quarters and rear shelf on a 69 camaro. Have a few questions.
1. Where are the spot welds holding the lower portion of the quarter panel @ the tail light panel? Will the tail light panel need to come out?
2. The repo panels I'm using do not have the raised lip along the drip rail like the factory. Any suggestions on how to replicate this feature on the repo panels?
3. I'm replacing a panel @ a time to maintain panel alignment. Is this a good idea or should I cut all the panels out and install/adjust the new panels to each other?

1. Tail light (Rear Body) panel does not have to be removed to do the quarters... Cut the bulk of the quarter panel off leaving the flanges and you will easily be able to see where to drill out the spot welds to remove the rest.
2. If Im following you correctly here...is this the sail panel portion of the quarter?
3. Do one at a time...

It would be a good idea to rebuild your door hinges and align your doors to the quarter panels before you remove the quarters. Then you can align the new quarters to the doors knowing they were positioned properly to the old quarters. Hope this helps!

1bad68cat
07-05-2012, 05:10 PM
Hello Travis,

I did cut most of the quarter panel out with the exception of the area where the lower portion of the rear panel (below the tail lights) and quarter panel appear to meet. It almost seems like the quarter is sandwiched between the rear panel and trunk drop off. That's why I was wondering if the rear panel has to come off. As for the other question, yes it's the sail panel I was referring to.

nkopper
07-06-2012, 01:28 PM
The quarter is just sandwiched in between the tail pain and trunk drop off. If I remember correctly, mine was held in place with the same white glue that the factory used on the quarter stiffeners below the rear window. I just grabbed the remaining piece of quarter panel with a vice grips and worked it back and forth until it broke loose.

Nathan

BobK
07-13-2012, 09:32 AM
Nathan is correct- that seam was glued, not welded.