PDA

View Full Version : Jet skis

72nova
07-03-2012, 06:07 PM
I am starting to look at some new jet skis. What brand is most reliable, what features to look for, comfort etc. i am not looking for the fastest ski. It will be ridden on a lake, no salt water. More for cruising around, pulling tubers and skiers occasionally. Any opinions would be great.

shortrack
07-03-2012, 08:51 PM
Whatever you buy pay attention to WTF you're doing out there! Jet Skiers are some of the most hated people on the waterways. Many times navigational channels are narrow, if you're driving in one and suddenly decide to crank a hard 90 or 180deg turn, look first!! you may turn and center punch me in my actual boat. It sucks that I had to mount a hand held air horn at my helm for the sole purpose of warding off spastic jet ski drivers. If you want to play (which is fine btw), go in some bay somewhere, not in the middle of the most heavily traveled parts of the lake. And for G od sake do not lend your jet ski to any moron who happens to show up at your dock without a through discussion FROM YOU on how the thing operates and whats expected of them out on the lake! The number of accidents by "first time" jet ski operators is staggering.

you can see my jet ski blaster just ahead of my right hand in the pic. Have fun be safe be repectful

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2012/07/GeorgianBayCanadaWeekend11035-1.jpg

shortrack
07-03-2012, 09:14 PM
Hope that didnt come off as harsh.....

Had a couple of go arounds with Jet Skis last weekend.

ErikLS2
07-03-2012, 09:17 PM
I second that, I'm a boater too and you never know what those Jet Skiers are going to do. Be careful.

wellis77
07-04-2012, 02:08 AM
Sucks that jet-skiers all get lumped and judged, but history proves... I'm a slalom skier and barefooter and I can't tell you the number of times jet skis have torn up my ski course, OR, cut through the course as I'm skiing or just before I'm pulled out of the water. Just be smart and courtious to others.

Ron.in.SoCal
07-04-2012, 05:36 AM
Been boating for over 30 years. The number of accidents involving jet skis is at least 5x greater than those involving boats alone. Seen some bad ones too, so be careful out there. Stuff happens fast at 80+ mph...

Steve68
07-04-2012, 06:53 AM
Shuttle Astronaut Alan Poindexter was killed this week on a JetSki by his son, tragic accident ^^^^^^ but what these guys said, I used to rent skis in the 80's total lessons for the novice, and alcohol is NOT a Jet skiers friend

TheJDMan
07-04-2012, 10:40 AM
You could not give me a jetski for all the reasons mentioned above!

mikes70
07-04-2012, 10:59 AM
I recommend SeaDoo highly, I personally havent owned one but have cousins and friends and I have found their line to be the most reliable, ergonomic, easy to use, good resale....IMO

But, yes, please dont take all these posts negatively, they are constructive critisism based on experience. I am a boater and alot of jet skiers do not "know their line" and cut people off all the time and run over ropes all the time. And it doesnt take a license to own one yet they are harder to control that a car. Go figure...

claytonisbob
07-05-2012, 09:54 AM
Hmm, ^^^ is the only on topic reply yet. I too agree that SeaDoo's seem to be pretty nice and they do seem to go for a bit more on the used market.

Other than that, Jet skis in a lake are about the same as sports bikes on the street (ie, the idiots and newbies are going to zip around and do dumb crap) except people are more willing to let their drunk friends ride them when their out on the water, and people have a false sense of confidence because they think "how dangerous could it be, it's only water?".

Corey R.
07-06-2012, 03:33 PM
I recommend SeaDoo highly, I personally havent owned one but

:getout:

All kidding aside, I have owned a few skis and I am partial to yamaha. If you are looking for a supercharged ski, yamaha blowers do not need rebuilding or have washers that blow up and windup in your oil pick up. This was a huge issue with sea doo for many years. I have read The new rxt skis are more reliable now.

If you are going to be lake riding, I would look into the vxr or vxs. They are na engines that can run 66-68 on gps stock and get awesome gas mileage.

If you are going to be riding in choppy water I would look into a fzr or sho. The are more stable to ride. The fx ho has the same hull as the sho but is an na engine with better gas mileage.

Check out green hulk.net. That forum has a wealth of knowledge and can lead you in the right direction. If you are on this site, you will eventually want a faster ski.

tylers88
07-06-2012, 08:51 PM
as an ex boater converted to safe and crazy jet skier(that is possible), I have to say I have had more people almost hit me on a 10 foor bright yellow motorized high lighter than when we had our 21' Bayliner.

*edit* Forgot to say, I ride a Sea Doo. I would love to get a Yamaha FZR soon.

shortrack
07-08-2012, 06:13 PM
Jet Ski people were all cool this weekend.....