PDA

View Full Version : 383 Stroker running hot

UMI Tech
07-03-2012, 04:49 PM
I have a Blueprint brand 383 in a house car.

It is http://www.blueprintengines.com/inde...83-bp-3830ctc1 (http://www.blueprintengines.com/index.php/gm-383-bp-3830ctc1)

It runs well, pulls hard and in-general seems fine. Except for a temperature issue. It runs at 220 ish with a 180 thermostat. After some hard driving it creeps up to the 230 range.

My gauges are pretty accurate and I've tested various engine locations with an IR temp gun and think 230 to be true.

It has the original, untouched Edelbrock 750 on it. I spoke with a tech there who verified it should be rich calibration for my altitude.

The radiator is new and of adequate size. Timing is at 34 deg as per Blueprints instructions.

Any ideas on why it's warm?

thanks

ramey

NOT A TA
07-03-2012, 05:04 PM
What kind of car? What fan/shroud are you using?

Gitter Dun
07-03-2012, 05:04 PM
Have any details on the radiator? Are you using a fan shroud? electric fan? CFM of electric fan. Running hot just when sitting or running?

UMI Tech
07-03-2012, 05:16 PM
Hey John. And Gaetano. I don't know the specs on the radiator or the fan but of course I can get them when I get to the shop on Thursday. It's in our 85Z28 with the factory air dam under the nose. We had the dam off and it got about 15 deg hotter yet while driving. The shroud is what came with the fan, like a Derale or something premium. I've had similar combos on a lot "hotter" engines and they stayed cool. This is a strange one.

The radiator is sealed to the core support so any air forced in should pass through.

The fan runs strong and is pulling properly.

180 Robertshaw hi flow thermostat. All new hoses. 15lb cap. Overflow tank half full. All air out of system.

ramey

David Pozzi
07-03-2012, 07:23 PM
I've seen many cars that had a big load of bugs stuck in the radiator core, blocking air flow. Also had one Camaro that was parked in the garage where our Golden Retriever slept right in front of the car. Every time we started the engine it would vacuum up any loose dog hair & eventually developed a cooling problem. Also take a peek inside the radiator for internal core tube plugging.

TheJDMan
07-04-2012, 12:57 PM
You did not indicate, are you overdriving or underdriving the water pump? In the past I have had cooling issues while underdriving the water pump.

DarkoNova
07-04-2012, 02:13 PM
Speaking of the pump, what kind of water pump are you using? You shouldn't need one, but you might try stepping up to a high flow pump.