PDA

View Full Version : Road Trip (Help) First Time

badazz81z28
07-03-2012, 06:17 AM
Guys,

Going to be driving the 78 Camaro over a few states (about 600 miles). Very nervous as this is the first time after pretty much having the car in pieces. Any tips on what to check or what to bring with me? I plan on bringing plenty of tools and a few spare parts. Still unsure what would be the most probable to fail. I was thinking a fuel pump and an alternator.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

oestek
07-03-2012, 07:14 AM
Robby -

Be sure to get a good AAA or roadside assist flatbed towing service. Check with your insurance company to see if they offer it.

We've broken damn near everything there is to break on road trips all over the country. I'd be sure you have the following in your car:

- Cell phone charger
- several LED flashlights
- Self-vulcanizing tape. Edelbrock used to sell "Powerbond" tape, not sure if it's still available, but this is the stuff you wrap around something and it seals well enough to get you to the next stop. We've used it on fuel lines, radiator lines, steering hoses... it's good emergency stuff.
- Small parts cleaner spray, prefer brake over carb
- small individual GoJo hand cleaner packs
- Several hose clamps, various sizes
- Work gloves - cars get hot!
- Pry bar
- Jack.. i have a small bottle jack that is much safer than the bumper jack
- Couple small wood blocks... very handy, you never know if you'll need a wheel chock, hammer, support, etc.
- Good spare
- Lug Wrench (doubles as pry bar)
- Fix-a-flat
- Flares
- Funnel
- Know your car's range, fill it up and log the miles.. many fuel gauges are inaccurate
- Gallon jug of water. Might not need it, but who knows.
- Bottled waters for drinking. It's hot outside, you might be waiting for a tow.
- Hat / Shades / Sunscreen
- Cardboard / work surface / pad.. I carry a yoga mat as a trunk floor mat. If you ever have to get out an lay on the ground, this helps prevent pavement burn. Cardboard works great.

Remember, if you bring all this stuff, you WON'T NEED ANY OF IT!

Good luck!

BonzoHansen
07-03-2012, 07:22 AM
hei coil & module. Or a whole damn distributor

406 Q-ship
07-03-2012, 10:03 AM
I have road tripped plenty of cars and trucks (my last trip was So Cal to Tampa). I agree with all that Kevin said and add bring engine oil, coolant, trans fluid, brake fluid, and powersteering fluid.......oh ya and water for yourself (it can be used in teh car in a pinch). Now be honest with yourself, was there any part of reassembly of the car that you felt a bit quezzy about......go over it with a fine tooth comb again......and then nut and bolt the whole car just like your going to race it.

Next is more about driver/passenger comfort. Are the seat comfortable for long runs or will you need tractions after an hour behind the wheel, I have a special pillow for lumbar support on crappy seat vehicles. A/C, does it work? can it be made to work easily? Depending on where your going it can be important. Tunes, not too many people can handle long stretches of highway with out something playing inside the cabin (the truck stereo died on the way to FL, luck my cellphone has Pandora). Try to plan your stops at approximatly 300 mile intervals, for gas, water , restroom breaks, and a 15 to 20 minute walk. Lucky for you the trip is only 600 miles, that is an easy one day trip.

oestek
07-03-2012, 10:17 AM
Good stuff 406!

shmoov69
07-03-2012, 04:02 PM
Change of "dirty" clothes....to work on the car in and not trash you Sunday gooders!!
Every type of fluid it holds, never know when a leak will spring!
Extra fan/pS belt
Electrical Wire......any kind that could be used in a pinch...even to hold crap together!!
Zip ties
Jumper cables or even better a jumper box!
Fuses
Small assortment of junk stolen from the "nut & bolt bucket"!!

TheJDMan
07-04-2012, 10:07 AM
Presumably you have put enough shakedown miles on the car to determine what if any problems you have and then have taken the necessary steps to correct those problems. If you suspect the fuel pump or alternator may be a problem why have they not been replaced already?

IMO, That long list of items is great if you plan to drive into the Australian outback but is overkill for a simple 600 mile road trip. The AAA membership, a cell phone w/automobile charger, basic hand tools and drikning water. Those items are by far the most valuable. Oil should be checked at each fuel stop and purchased as needed. Auto parts stores are littered virtually everywhere so parts are easy to obtain. Should you experience an actual breakdown then use your AAA membership and cell phone to call for assistance. It is easy to over think this.

badazz81z28
07-04-2012, 03:54 PM
Presumably you have put enough shakedown miles on the car to determine what if any problems you have and then have taken the necessary steps to correct those problems. If you suspect the fuel pump or alternator may be a problem why have they not been replaced already?

IMO, That long list of items is great if you plan to drive into the Australian outback but is overkill for a simple 600 mile road trip. The AAA membership, a cell phone w/automobile charger, basic hand tools and drikning water. Those items are by far the most valuable. Oil should be checked at each fuel stop and purchased as needed. Auto parts stores are littered virtually everywhere so parts are easy to obtain. Should you experience an actual breakdown then use your AAA membership and cell phone to call for assistance. It is easy to over think this.

Thanks all for the tips!

Basically I have taken the entire car apart over the last few years! It has about 100 miles on it!

Because of the fuel pump design (Mechanical) it worries me. I have had these SBC pumps fail on me before just out the blue! The alternator is the only unknown aged part (off of a 1992 Camaro).

The engine is all new from carb to pan, TKO 600 is new, the rearend was just rebuilt 75 miles ago etc...Basically the entire drivetrain is new, I just havent ever taken a car of this age farther than around a small town.

dontlifttoshift
07-04-2012, 04:38 PM
I would drive across the ocean on a mechanical pump.

All you really need is a cell phone and Jack Daniels.....one to call for help and the other to wait for it. I also try to break down near a restaurant.

When packing tools remember, it is better to need a hammer and have channel locks than to need channel locks and have a hammer.

Seriously though, that first trip can be nerve racking. Just double check your work and if you have any question about anything double check it. Sometimes noises are just noises, if you can't find anything immediatley wrong, proceed and pay attention to your car, it will tell you when it's pissed, so listen to it.

If something drastic happens, get online and call on your Pro-Touring brothers, with the member count here someone will be nearby to help you out.

Most of all, have fun! This is what it's about, you didn't put in all that blood and sweat just to look at it. Drive that sumbitch!

badazz81z28
07-08-2012, 01:22 PM
Well, Gents the trip was a success. I didn't have a single issue and I got about 20mpg!

I did "find" two issues though during the trip. I have a concern about the Aluminum Trans X-member and a driveshaft "droan" at 80+mph. Either the driveshaft balance is out or maybe that is its critical RPM speed.

Buckeye
07-08-2012, 02:45 PM
All you need is a big hammer, Duct tape and WD-40 ...

TheJDMan
07-08-2012, 05:32 PM
Glad to hear all went well!!! Small issues like those are bound to crop up but as you put more miles on it and make adjustments those will become old memories.

JEFFTATE
07-13-2012, 12:32 PM
A tire plug kit , a can of fix a flat , and a small car-battery-operated tire inflating compressor can really get you out of a tight spot .

Also a couple of C-Clamps and a thin steel plate , you never know when you will have to push caliper pistons back in ..