PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding a rear disc brake option for unknown rear axle setup

digitalman2112
07-01-2012, 07:02 AM
I'm in the process of ordering the front suspension and front / rear brakes for my '68 Firebird (see signature for more info on the car). A few years ago the car went to Frank @ Prodigy, who told me I had an odd rear axle setup, and he wasn't sure what kit would work with it. I don't know that he spent time doing the detective work (I wasn't ready to order the brakes)...but it has bugged me and it is time to figure it out (or have the rear end modified if needed).

Here is what I know - not all of this may be relevant, but including just in case:

The previous owner's documentation lists:
"12 Bolt rear end with 308 gears"
"Powertrax limited slip rear end"
"Impala shortened rear axle"
"Large Impala rear drum brakes"

Yesterday, I pulled off a rear drum (11" drums), and started measuring. I used the Wilwood axle flange page (http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeKitApp.aspx) as a guide.

My flange is the square design shown below (from the Wilwood diagram), I verified the bolt spacing measurements match that diagram - the bolt spacings are the 3.396 x 2.656.

The left two of those axle flanges show an axle tube OD of 3.420, which I clearly do not have - I measured my axle tubes at 3", they could be the 2.940 mentioned (I wasn't measuring with .06 accuracy...) which leaves the Chevy C10 on the right. I can see the the axle tubes were cut and rewelded, so it is very possible I have mix & match parts from different cars / years.

I'll need to pull off the drum brakes to measure the axle offset, but I'm guessing it is approx 3" - I didn't have time to tear into a brake setup yesterday, but will do it soon so that I can get a good pic of everything.

I only spotted one code on the differential - J276 (if I read it correctly) - Which means the center was cast on October 27th of 1968 (if I understand how those codes work...)

I need to look for stamped numbers on the housing and axle tubes - they were not visible yesterday, some cleaning may be required.

I'm hoping someone that knows more than I do can help me identify what I have, or can point me in the right direction. In the end, I just want to get rear brakes, and my brand / style selection may be limited by the rear axle configuration, so I'm trying to get it figured out... please feel free to suggest other things I can look for / measure / identify that get me there...thanks!

Apogee
07-01-2012, 07:00 PM
The tubing OD measurement is for the machined portion to the outside of the flange, is that what you measured to be 3"? In any event, it would help to know what rear brakes you want to run to best match your fronts. If new axles, gears, limited slip, etc are in the plans, then I would just swap the ends to a positively retained housing end like the Ford 9" options, Moser Ford/GM hybrid (#7900FM), or something similar and then buy brakes to match. Post up the brake/axle offset dimension and confirm the tube diameter, that should at least provide enough info to confirm what you have and then you can start researching brake options.

Tobin
KORE3

digitalman2112
07-02-2012, 03:37 AM
The tubing OD measurement is for the machined portion to the outside of the flange, is that what you measured to be 3"?

No, I was measuring the outside of the axle itself. I'll get that measurement and some pics to confirm I measured the right location and post it in the next few days.

In any event, it would help to know what rear brakes you want to run to best match your fronts. If new axles, gears, limited slip, etc are in the plans, then I would just swap the ends to a positively retained housing end like the Ford 9" options, Moser Ford/GM hybrid (#7900FM), or something similar and then buy brakes to match.

I haven't selected the new front disc package since I was thinking my choices would be limited by the rear and I wanted something from the same product line. I had not planned to change axles, gears, etc., so if possible I'd like to find brakes that work with the existing setup.

Thoughts on brake selection:
- Street-driven car with approx 500hp
- The car has factory booster / mc , the booster prevents me from easily removing valve covers and the engine doesn't have significant vacuum, so I was thinking of switching to hydroboost while I had everything apart anyway.
- I'll likely be running the Ridetech tall spindles
- I'd like to retain a parking brake
- I'd never liked the idea of C5/C6 conversions due to the Corvette logo, however I see that you have kits without the Corvette logo :)

Post up the brake/axle offset dimension and confirm the tube diameter, that should at least provide enough info to confirm what you have and then you can start researching brake options.

Will do, thanks!

digitalman2112
07-02-2012, 03:42 PM
I did some quick measurements tonight, no time to disassemble drums, but wanted to make sure I'm measuring the right thing. These measurements are close, but not exact...

Am I measuring the correct dimensions?

Thanks for the help!

Apogee
07-03-2012, 06:20 AM
The brake/axle offset dimension should be your 1.65" dimension plus the length of the "snout" all the way up to the housing flange. You would need to remove the drum backing plate in order to measure this directly, or measure to the backing plate and add the thickness of the plate to measure it indirectly.

Those appear to be aftermarket axles, so the offset really could be anything, but it would typically be sized to match the brakes being used. Would I be correct to assume that you're running a 5x4.75 x 2.776 wheel pattern where the 2.776" dimension is the register diameter?

Tobin
KORE3

digitalman2112
07-05-2012, 05:19 PM
The brake/axle offset dimension should be your 1.65" dimension plus the length of the "snout" all the way up to the housing flange. You would need to remove the drum backing plate in order to measure this directly, or measure to the backing plate and add the thickness of the plate to measure it indirectly.

Those appear to be aftermarket axles, so the offset really could be anything, but it would typically be sized to match the brakes being used.

Drum brakes removed, backing plate won't come off without pulling the axle, but I had a clear path to measure through it once I removed the wheel cylinder.

I measured the offset to be 2.7150 inches - there is a slight machined lip at the housing flange (you can see the arc in the pic below), this dimension includes that lip (the bolt goes past it)

Since I want to be sure I'm measuring the correct dimension, here is a pic...

(I know the caliper isn't aligned perfectly with the bolt here, I just wanted to be extra obvious how I did the measurement to get the proper dimension, so I set it down and took a pic after I did the measurement)

Would I be correct to assume that you're running a 5x4.75 x 2.776 wheel pattern where the 2.776" dimension is the register diameter?

Tobin
KORE3

Yes on the bolt pattern. I measured the register at 2.787, but likely close enough.

Thanks again for the help!

(Oh, and now I get to learn how to pull an axle so that I can take off those backing plates...)

digitalman2112
07-05-2012, 05:51 PM
And the best pic of the axle flange and welded axle tubes...