PDA

View Full Version : Timing Chain Alignment

wally_245
06-30-2012, 09:20 PM
A bit of back history first. A long time ago, in a place far far away, I installed a cam, lifters, timing chain and new heads on my sbc 350. I was pretty inexperienced and after I was done, I could never get it to run properly. I always thought I had mis aligned the timing chain. Eventually I just parked the car and left it for almost 20 years.

Fast forward, and now I want to get my car on the road again. Thinking my timing chain was off, I drained the oil, dropped the oil pan and pull the timing chain cover. After looking at it again, I don't think the timing chain is off. Before I bolt it back up, could you guys take a look at the picture and see what you think?

Thanks
shawn

daytonayellaz
07-01-2012, 02:11 PM
Well...glad to see your back after it again....after 20 years.:cheers: You have the cam gear installed right. Maybe you dropped the distributor back in in the wrong position? Is it HEI or you still running points? Start with the simple things first...

wally_245
07-02-2012, 08:51 AM
Great, Thank You! Now I can get it all bolted back together. Since it wasn't the chain, I am sure it was the distributor/timing related.

I am looking forward to getting it fired up. My goal is to have it on the road before summer ends. It won't be pretty, or handle very well, but at least I can drive it.

shawn