PDA

View Full Version : not a ford guy, 92 5.0 HO questions

dusterbd13
06-25-2012, 09:28 AM
so, im pretty much a mopar guy when it comes to engines, etc.
but im doing a motor swap for a local vietnam vet in his 53 ford f100. using a 5.0 HO from a 92 mustang GT.
were converting to carb using an edelbrock performer intake and carter 650AFB.

the motor came as a longblock, with all the ctock serpentine accessories in a box. unknown if bolts and spacers are in the box, as i havent really looked yet, and dont know what all id be looking for when i do.

does anyone have any assebly diagrams, parts schematocs, etc for the serpentine assembly so i know what it is supposed to look like and how it goes together? i know with my mopars that the parts books have really good assembly pictures with all the bolts, whasers, etc listed and drawn out.

also, im looking for a distributor. with it being a roller cam, do i need anything special, or will the Ebay HEI small block ford distributor be fine?

lastly for now, does anyone know what size plugs i need for the EGR ports in the back of the heads?

thanks guys
michael

rustomatic
06-26-2012, 02:12 PM
For the distributor, you'll need a steel or bronze drive gear--cast iron will break/disintegrate on a steel cam (stock). Some aftermarket distributors come with steel gears, but make sure. Regarding rotating crap on the front of the engine, it's way easier to just get a 289/302 timing cover (see Jegs, or the junk yard) and water pump (I even installed a fuel pump eccentric underneath, to use a mech. pump). For this, you'll need to plug the side-block dipstick hole (weld, plug, or JB Weld); any chrome timing cover dipstick for the 5.0 will work in the frontal location. For the EGR ports, I'm embarrassed to say what works, but they do sell brass plugs in that size--I'd ask at a machine shop. Finally, you'll also need to use the 5.0 valve covers (or new ones); roller valvetrain is taller...

One more thing: 5.0 uses 351 firing order...

dusterbd13
06-26-2012, 03:18 PM
hes set on the serpentine setup......
and we have them.

i called summit about their hei style distributor. they said steel gear on it, so im good there.

what are you embarrased to tell me works for egr?

and ill use some stock valve covers. theres a set in the box of accesoiers and varios stuff...

thanks so far.

Injected65
07-13-2012, 09:54 AM
A Chilton's or Haynes manual for that era of Mustang might have a bit more detailed pictures of the brackets, but I am not aware of any that lists things like the bolt and spacer locations or sizes. Here is a decent picture of an assembled engine.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2012/07/138399d1314966443beltrouteavoidingsmogpu-1.jpg

On the passenger side you have the big alternator bracket that holds the alternator up top and the smog pump down low (not shown in that picture). It bolts up to the head with 3 bolts. The tensioner is attached to that bracket with one big nut. On the drivers side you have a sub bracket that gets bolted to the head. The back of the ac compressor bolts to that sub bracket. The power steering pump will slide over a long (like 6") stud at the top that crews into that sub bracket. That big black front bracket will bolt onto the water pump, a/c and p/s pump to tie it all together.

Hope that helps :D

Chris