PDA

View Full Version : Chicane67 Need help with Landrum #225 rear springs

rch257
07-21-2005, 07:23 PM
David Pozzi sent me here from Camaros.net. I had posted there about the feasiblity of using a pair of donated #225 Landrum Dirt leaf springs on my street/strip '69 BBC Camaro. Are these springs too stiff for the street, and do they have excessive arch. It looks like about 6" to me.

Mean 69
07-22-2005, 09:57 AM
You could try PM'ing him. He is pretty helpful, and if you want the topic to remain here for others to see and find easily, perhaps change the title to be more descriptive?

By the way, welcome!
Mark

David Pozzi
07-23-2005, 03:56 PM
ttt

TitoJones
07-23-2005, 04:05 PM
He's out of town currently. I'll let him know it's here.
Tyler

MrQuick
07-23-2005, 05:33 PM
Damn Ty, vacation already?!?!?!? you work him too hard! LOL

alky
07-25-2005, 01:37 AM
I ran a Landrum 175# mono spring on '68 camro with a LT1/4l60e, 12 bolt combo. I scaled the car where I work and thats the spring recomended for that weight car. I also ran a 1 in lowering block for a lower ride hight.

nestockcar
07-25-2005, 07:02 AM
Seems a little heavy and high for the street. According to a catalogue I have (http://www.cmwraceparts.com/Springs/springs30.html) they're for a 3000-3500lb dirt racing applications. I've used 175# in the past with good success.
Of course they will "work", and you can always add a lowering block (http://www.cmwraceparts.com/Springs/springs32.html)

chicane67
07-25-2005, 10:34 AM
Rick, you got mail. Sorry about the lag... I was out of town and 'unplugged'.

IMHO, the rate isnt too stiff. I have a 320 rate in a 2900lb chassis and it works great..... but your answer relies on your front rate and the usage of the chassis.

Get back to me if you have some questions, not answered in my PM to you.

Steve Chryssos
07-26-2005, 03:24 AM
There's a reason why good lowered leaf springs are more expensive than off-the-rack racing leaf springs.

Be careful with the axle locating pins on those springs. The roundy round guys aren't concerned with centering the wheels within the wheel arches. You might find that they push the wheels back--longer wheelbase.

A 6" free arch is just about stock for a 1st gen. So, depending on your wheel/tire combo, you may need to run more lowering block than is considered safe. Since it's a 69, you might be OK. Try them out. If the car sits too high, consider having them de-arched. Drilling for new pin location if wheel centering is off. After de-arching, you may run out of shackle travel (The eye to eye length will become "longer" after de-arching). With custom leaf springs, trial and error is part of the process. Be patient.

Welcome to the site
/Steevo

David Pozzi
07-26-2005, 06:33 PM
In other words, your free springs may not turn out to be such a good deal. Consider the time and effort it may take to swap things around and you may want to just buy some "proper" springs and put them on once. The landrum springs I saw on a 69 vintage race Camaro had 1.5" or taller aluminum spacer blocks. This gives the rear axle leverage over the spring and can greatly increase spring wrap-up and resulting wheel-hop.

If you do try the Landrum springs, please let us know how they turn out.