PDA

View Full Version : Why would sound just turn off and back on?

yellow1098Greg
06-19-2012, 07:22 PM
I have a kicker 4 channel amp pushing a set of kicker 6x9's in the back and a set of 3x5's in the front..with a retro sound head unit that I only run an aux wire out of to play my iPod. The sound today for the first time just started cutting in and out. Should I be looking for a lose wire? Or is there something going on with the amp? Should I check the wires and fuse under the hood? I also have been dealing with something majorly drawing my battery...could this be related? Just thought I'd get some ideas.... I know you can't know exactly tell me what it is... Just thought I'd get some good ideas...hopefully it could something simple....thanks for the feedback

john55blaze
06-19-2012, 07:53 PM
I've had similiar problems that resulted from bad RCA cables and also from the aux wire the plugs into your ipod, as they get ware and tear from being moved and flexed...could be an easy fix,as for the battery drain might check that the signal wire to the amp is actually turning it off ? Just an idea, good luck

makoshark
06-20-2012, 08:55 PM
Has your car been cranking properly lately? I would check the battery voltage first. Your alternator may not be charging correctly or your battery may be going bad. If those check out, then I would start checking the stereo install and make sure you have no loose wires and that all wires are completely functional

Jameson
07-04-2012, 12:37 PM
Has your car been cranking properly lately? I would check the battery voltage first. Your alternator may not be charging correctly or your battery may be going bad. If those check out, then I would start checking the stereo install and make sure you have no loose wires and that all wires are completely functional

Is the amp going into thermal protect mode?

PT Sportwagon
07-07-2012, 07:53 AM
I had an amp shut down, because it had to small a power wire. It wasn't getting enough power.

Tim

MCB Matt
07-12-2012, 11:17 AM
Check you remote turn on wire, that can easily be the problem.

The ipod cables are pretty crappy for the most part so check into that too but if its the cable it will usually cause the Ipod to pause...if it keeps playing but just no sound i would start looking at your wiring...

Matt

kevincp
07-12-2012, 08:01 PM
I agree with Matt, number one problem of amps shutting down and powering back up, is because of power loss at the remote power wire, they can cause many headaches just had it happen and took about 2 weeks to figure it out.