PDA

View Full Version : How well does the sure fit system cool?

73z-6sp
07-21-2005, 10:26 AM
I think I want to use the sure fit system but not sure of how well it cools. The tech guy recommended using a super cooler if I didnt care about retaining the stock look. Not sure how I feel about that. If the sure fit system doesnt cool very well then maybe the super would be better? I live in Arizona so A/C is important.

Also, has anyone used the stock GM compressor (Constant output) with the vintage air system? How is it? Any problems/pitfalls to watch for?

Thanks,

Aaron

KUL FIR CHICK N
07-22-2005, 06:10 PM
Both kits have similar performance. The Supercooler (gen 2) gives you more control of directional air flow, while the sure fit operates by factory controls.

You can quite easily convert the factory control to work with Gen 2 systems. Three micro switches get you all of your mode functions, simple linkage to the heater pot, and you're off.

If the factory compressor is in excellent condition, and originally from a 134a vehicle, you will have no problem using it. Just be sure to call VA for instruction when you're ready to set it up. R-12 compressors are not designed for the lubricants used in 134a systems, and typically fail early.

ssx
08-03-2005, 01:41 AM
My friend has the sure fit in his 57' Belair. He has told me it struggles to keep his car cool enough inside. This is in Hawaii though. Although I lived in Phoenix for a year in 89-90 when the temps got into the low 120's!:pat:

73z-6sp
08-03-2005, 06:37 AM
Although I lived in Phoenix for a year in 89-90 when the temps got into the low 120's!:pat:
I remember those days. I moved to Tucson on June 6, 1990. It was 117 the day I got here! But believe it or not, it didnt feel too bad to me after leaving the humidity of Indiana! I still miss Indiana though.

I think I am going to go with the Super Cooler Gen II. I want it to cool as much as possible.