PDA

View Full Version : Drivetrain Angles

68Formula
06-14-2012, 04:16 PM
I'm really confused, and trying to get my car back on the road after a rearend swap.

Measuring both my tailshaft and my pinion angle, they point down towards the center of the car. So if you were to draw lines through them, they would intersect. The tailshaft points 2° down, and the pinion 4° down.

So, do I just need to shim the rear up so it's only 2° down? Or do I need to shim the trans up a total of 4° so that its 2 ° above horizontal (instead of below), and also shim the rear so it's only pointing 2° down? Or do I leave the trans alone and only shim the pinion up?

I've looked online and there seems to be a lot of conflicting information and ambiguity.

Update:
Just installed the driveshaft. If I put the angle finder on it close to the rearend, it points downward towards the front 3°.

How to best do this setup? The rear suspension is factory style leaf spring, but solidly mounted (no rubber or polyurethane pads).

Z06vet
06-14-2012, 06:55 PM
the 2* down on the tailshaft should be fine. You need to get the pinion angle to 0-2* UP. Likely will have to use some axle shims to achieve this. With leaf springs there is more flex (wrap-up) than say with a 3 or 4 link. I would guess you would ideally want the pinion around 1* up. Once the driveshaft is installed, you can add your working angles together to tweak things further. From what I understand its best not to have the driveshaft sloping up from the tailshaft toward the pinion. I am no expert at this and there are many on here much more knowledgable than I. But this should get you generally in the right direction. Scott

Chad-1stGen
06-15-2012, 08:15 AM
Here is a very nice writeup from Inland Empire that I think makes it very clear what you want.

http://www.iedls.com/asp/admin/getFile.asp?RID=10&TID=28&FN=PDF