PDA

View Full Version : My first Motor-State Challenge

tflyboy77
06-14-2012, 08:15 AM
This will be my first Motor-State Challenge and my first autocross. I would like to meet some of you guys. Who all is going and is there anything special that I shouldn't miss. I'm signed up for the cruise/cookout and the autocross but don't have enough time on the Trans Am yet to attempt the race track.

GNon18s
06-14-2012, 08:48 AM
Do the big track!!!! ..and then come back on here and tell us how glad you are you did the big track. You dont need to be out there going really fast, you just need to go out and have fun.

tflyboy77
06-14-2012, 08:55 AM
I've only got two speeds and very little self control so I'm going to start small and work up.

rivs68
06-14-2012, 03:13 PM
This will be my first Motor-State Challenge and my first autocross. I would like to meet some of you guys. Who all is going and is there anything special that I shouldn't miss. I'm signed up for the cruise/cookout and the autocross but don't have enough time on the Trans Am yet to attempt the race track.

I'll be there, assuming the car (and I) survive the Optima Challenge next weekend at Road America...this will also be my first Motor-State challenge....I'll see ya there....Look me up and introduce yourself, and I'll do the same....

tommycomfort
06-14-2012, 04:07 PM
We'll be there with our 66 Chevelle and 64 Chevelle wagon. That is if the 66 survives Road America, Des Moines GG's, Columbus GG's and the trip to Michigan. What could go wrong... I'm definitely with Justin, run Gingerman, you won't be sorry!
Tom

tflyboy77
06-14-2012, 04:52 PM
I'll look for your cars and say hi. It's nice being able to go to these events and have people to talk to.

cmraman
06-14-2012, 09:40 PM
I'll be there with Project Olds... and also I will be covering it for Super Chevy this time.

tflyboy77
06-15-2012, 06:11 PM
I'm just a little excited to go. I've been looking at Detroit speed videos all day to get ideas on where to mount my new gopro camera. The back fender looks pretty cool.

Toadman
06-15-2012, 07:57 PM
My first Motor State as a participant too! I did get in a track session at the Heidts Performance Car Challenge before a mechanical failure. Drive within your limits and have fun!! (... and if you're running an automatic trans, keep an eye on its temperature! :drive2:)

tflyboy77
06-19-2012, 06:40 AM
Does anything happen sat night? I know fri night is the cookout.

Yelcamino
06-19-2012, 10:44 AM
I'll be there with the El Camino and my wife will be running her Boss 302 for the first time.

JEFFTATE
06-19-2012, 01:24 PM
but don't have enough time on the Trans Am yet to attempt the race track.

Do the big track too .
You don't have to run it that hard .
Just go out and drive as fast as you are comfortable .
Treat the track like you were driving as fast as you wanted to , on a country road , without the danger of hitting a deer , or getting a speeding ticket ...
You don't have to push it to 10/10ths . Just drive fast .

BuddyP
06-19-2012, 08:07 PM
Yeah do the big track and tell us how it is. I'll be hoping to have my car done in time for Motorstate 2013. I'll be there this year once again as a spectator.

tflyboy77
06-20-2012, 03:39 AM
I'm just running autocross for this event. Maybe I'll step it up for the next event. I plan on making it to RTTH. Im sure that if you can't bring your car someone will let you ride along BuddyP.

Steve Chryssos
06-20-2012, 05:11 AM
Do yourself a favor and run the road course. Just ask a more experienced driver to ride with you and show you the line. The track has plenty of run off and is super safe.

I'm so bummed. Won't make it this year.

protouring70
06-20-2012, 08:45 AM
If you don't drive the big track get a ride along with someone, you will enjoy it! And dont be afraid to ask

Zanie
06-20-2012, 03:43 PM
Does anything happen sat night? I know fri night is the cookout.
I don't know whats on the schedule for Saturday night this year, but last year was "Blazing Saddles".

The Motor State Challenge brings best group of people to hang out with.

I also have to say "do the big track".
Watch some Gingerman videos on youtube and find an experienced driver to ride along with you. Finding an experienced driver to ride along and give you pointers is easier than you think.
Like I said, its a great group of people!
Its one of my favorite events of the summer!

dontlifttoshift
06-20-2012, 05:47 PM
I'm taking my hoopty on the track so there is no reason you can't........

Were you a wallflower at the middle school dance? Get out there!

tflyboy77
06-21-2012, 08:11 AM
I've got quite a bit of track time on motorcycles but as for the car I'm still working the bugs out. Thanks for the sat info. I'm trying to plan the weekend since the family is coming along. Hope the next few weeks go fast cause I'm ready now.

Finch
06-21-2012, 04:09 PM
I've got quite a bit of track time on motorcycles but as for the car I'm still working the bugs out. Thanks for the sat info. I'm trying to plan the weekend since the family is coming along. Hope the next few weeks go fast cause I'm ready now.

I will ride along with you if you like. We can start slow and then start pushing the speeds up as you learn the breaking and turn in points.

Just look for the crowd on Saturday night somewhere by the hotel as Little John should have some good entertainment lined up.

tflyboy77
06-21-2012, 06:23 PM
Thanks Brian that means allot for someone like you to offer help to a first timer. I'll see how the car does next week when I go out for testing.

tflyboy77
07-07-2012, 12:49 PM
Last week till the fun begins! I can't wait.

k7king
07-08-2012, 02:59 AM
Is there any racing fuel for sale at the track?

Jim Nilsen
07-08-2012, 04:57 AM
Is there any racing fuel for sale at the track?

There is fuel at the track and there is a gas station just up the road from the track that you can leave and go to in about 20 minutes total. the fuel at the track is expensive.

tflyboy77
07-09-2012, 05:23 PM
I'm going to have two extra tickets for dinner on Friday. The t-shirts are spoken for but I would be willing to donate the dinner tickets if someone has some extra guests going.

ProBell
07-09-2012, 06:47 PM
I will also be at the track to help out and jump in and ride with any one that wants it. I will not be brining my car as the motor is knocking and I will not have time to sort it out. Will be the first year I did not bring a car, But still worth the 900 miles to hang out and go for some fun rides. See you all at the track. Randy

SVTforme
07-10-2012, 04:05 PM
First time with a car to Motorstate for me too (finally).. although been to Gingerman many times. Can't wait!

k7king
07-12-2012, 09:37 AM
Will they run the track in the rain?

tflyboy77
07-12-2012, 12:29 PM
The website says rain or shine so I would say yes. I think it would be kind of fun until cleanup.

Stielow
07-12-2012, 04:28 PM
I'll be around if you want some pointers. Great track very easy and lots of run off. Just be careful in turn one.

Mark

k7king
07-12-2012, 06:11 PM
awesome...I'm at Safari Joes already.

tflyboy77
07-17-2012, 05:07 AM
I had a great time and I'm already planning for next year. Car ran awesome but I think a rev limiter will be money well spent. I didn't realize how little time you have to look at gauges. Great time though and I really appreciate motorstate and the local sheriffs department for the awesome cruise.

tflyboy77
07-19-2012, 08:21 AM
Rev limiter ordered and an adjustable rear sway bar on order. It all should be on and tuned for RTTH which I was just barely lucky enough to get signed up for. But I can't wait that long. I'll probably have to visit a local scca event to get my fix.