PDA

View Full Version : T5 trans questions

Travis B
07-21-2005, 08:13 AM
I got a very very good deal on a T5 trans.....how much power will they hold? If I keep it it will go behind a sligthly modified LT1 may be 450 flywheel HP! WILL IT HOLD?????????

Oh ya the car will never hook the Hp on a 295/40R20

MarkM66
07-21-2005, 09:29 AM
I don't think those hold much power. They're probably only rated to about 200 hp.

I know the older 3rd gen IROC's and camaros used them, but only behind the 305's.

I knew a guy with a 305 TPI IROC, some mods, ran like mid 15's, and he went through quite a few of them.

I'm not sure what their week link is though.

It'd work if you keep your foot out of it, ;) .

JodysTransmissions
07-21-2005, 10:17 AM
Don't waste your money, it will gernade for sure!

Regards, Jody

Travis B
07-21-2005, 10:35 AM
I got it real cheap......I can turn it though!

myclone
07-21-2005, 10:59 AM
If the car wont hook at all it'll last for a little while. Back in the day when T5s were the only thing available I did some calling and managed to get an engineer from BW on the phone to pick his brain. Long story short he said (and I quote) "the trans is basically a pinto 4spd with OD". Take that for what its worth but thats what he told me as well as the fact GM didnt offer it behind the 350 for a reason IMO.

Anyways, the two big issues with a T5 is TQ+sticky tires=junk and if you power shift it with a stock shifter youll bend the shift forks which wont allow the gear train to fully engage the next time you beat on it. This shears the teeth off since they are egaged only part way due to the bent shift forks. Aftermarket shifters with built in adjustable stops cure that but since its a used unit you dont know how bad the trans was beat on by the previous owner(s) so a tear down is a must to check for bent shift forks.

Anyways, as long as you dont put sticky tires on the car and dont brutally power shift it a healthy T5 will survive for a while.

Travis B
07-21-2005, 12:18 PM
I just made a phone call I think I have it sold! Next question I take it a T56 out of a 3rd gen would be the next cheapest way to get a 5 or 6 speed???? how much do they usually run? or is there any other alternatives????

race-rodz-inc
07-21-2005, 12:43 PM
i have a T5 in my 65 mustang, 416" windsor stroker, i decided since the T5 swap was allready done(previous motor), it was easier to get the "g-force" upgrade for it, i think it was about $1100, and will handle about 600ft/lbs.

http://www.g-forcetransmissions.com

Steve68
07-21-2005, 01:21 PM
What I understand is that there good for 330 ft lbs of torque,the W/C is more supposedly and hooking up makes a big deal, I have a World Class T-5 I plan on using, for awhile at least,

But I've seen a mustang class where they run the T-5 and nitrous, most are running 10's hanging the front wheels, I think it's all the way you shift them, but I'm willing to learn more, Steve

MarkM66
07-21-2005, 01:36 PM
I just made a phone call I think I have it sold! Next question I take it a T56 out of a 3rd gen would be the next cheapest way to get a 5 or 6 speed???? how much do they usually run? or is there any other alternatives????

T56's didn't come in 3rd gens. Only 4th gens. And the one you'd want would be from a '93-97 LT1 F-body.

And those really arean't that cheap anymore. I think about $1200 is as low as I've seen them. They you'll probably need a flywheel/clutch/pressure plate etc. so that'll be close to another grand. You'll also need the hydraulics.

If you want a cheap manual. Might have to go with an old school muncie. If you want od, try to find a good deal on a t56, or look into a new Tremec.

Travis B
07-21-2005, 02:10 PM
I have a muncie.....I will just keep looking or use the muncie

JodysTransmissions
07-21-2005, 06:05 PM
We are known for building custom T5's to use behind '49-'53 Ford Flatheads. Low horsepower 50s cruisers and Flathead engines love them!

If you must use one for financial reasons, then make sure it is a World Class unit. We have already used the Ford Motorsports gearset in GM T5's with success. The GM V8 maindrive gear will interchange with the Ford unit to make it work behind a GM car.

I am also assuming you want this T5 to put behind a GM car? If so, make sure the maindrive gear has 26 splines. This designates it is a V8 transmission.

Good Luck & Regards, Jody

Travis B
07-22-2005, 05:50 AM
well, my guy just fell through on buying the T5
I am not ever going to drive the car hard but I don't want to sell a car that has a weak trans.
Jody
Do you have any links
or can you sell me the parts I need to make it stronger!

JodysTransmissions
07-22-2005, 08:07 AM
Jody
Do you have any links
or can you sell me the parts I need to make it stronger!

Travis,

Yes, we can sell you the parts for your T5 rebuild but, I am not sure if this is someone elses territory on the board.

Regards, Jody

graycamaro
07-24-2005, 09:04 AM
I have a t5 NWC and was wondering the same thing. What parts can be bought to make it stronger. I know there are a weak tranny but the guys running in the AS class in SCCA racing use them and allthough they are running 305s the ones we are building for them are making 360+hp on the dyno after a season of racing. So I am going to give it a shot in my camaro with 400+hp. I plan on going easy on it and am not taking it to the strip.

James

Travis B
07-25-2005, 06:56 AM
G-force sells about anything you need for them but they will not call me back If Ican't get intouch with them I am going to get ahold of Jody and get some parts from him!!!!!