PDA

View Full Version : Startup issue

JoshStratton
07-21-2005, 05:16 AM
Ok. I originally thought it was something with the battery, but now I am not so sure.

My car will ONLY start when it is jumped. I can turn the key and get 'Tunes' out of the radio, so I am pretty sure it isn't the battery (although I haven't had it checked). Once it is jumped it will stay running. I replaced the positive cable the other day. If I get it running, and stop it, and then try to start it within a few minutes, it will start again. Also, as mentioned in another post, I sometimes can get it to turn over if I pump the gas pedal quickly.

Any ideas?

kamaroman68
07-21-2005, 09:01 AM
Replace the battery.

rocketrod
07-21-2005, 09:27 AM
It looks to be the battery, but I would clean all + and - battery connections (alternator, grounds, starter, etc) if you haven't before buying a battery.

JoshStratton
07-21-2005, 10:03 AM
i really hope it isnt the battery, but i cant argue with 2 confirmations. it is only 1 or 2 years old and it is an Optima....not cheap :(

kamaroman68
07-21-2005, 10:53 AM
There was a post in here a couple weeks ago about the same problem someone else was having with an optima battery. It is most likely the battery. You can usually take the battery to any auto parts stores nowadays and they will put the battery on a load tester for free.

JoshStratton
07-21-2005, 11:06 AM
Yeah i meant to do that several times. Each time I got into the store I was like... :hmm: "I KNOW there was a reason I came here" :pat:

I forgot the damn thing twice already.

BRIAN
08-10-2005, 05:33 PM
Where is your battery in trunk or engine compartment? What size cables are you running? You can run the biggest battery and high output alt you want but those cables make a huge difference.

My daily ride BB Suburban has always given that urgh urgh to start. From the factory the cables were rediculously small. THE CASING LOOKED LIKE IT WAS HIDING A 4 GAUGE WIRE!! I just today finished changing and adding additional grounds to #2 cable and ran a #4 cable for the grounds and alt to battery. I went from 13.8? to 14.7? at the battery. I was amazed. It now cranks like it has never done. I can turn on accys with almost no drop. Everything else is bone stock

For trunk mtd deals by some real heavy gauge stuff. Even better go to MAD electrics web site you will be enlightened 10x what I can offer. Cheaper than buying expensive batteries, high output this and that.

By the way if you want great source for wire try a marine store chain such as Marine West. They have cable there that is bigger that you will see in any auto parts store.

JoshStratton
08-10-2005, 06:12 PM
Oh I forgot to put out an update. It turns out the draw is in the hazard lights. I think it is a bad relay...but I havent had time to check it out. Also, the battery was bad after all. Thank you for your help, everyone.